Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another gun I took to the gunshow to cash out or trade was a Model 97 Winchester 12 ga. pump gun. It was in 80% condition. It workd fine, but just wasn't something I would really carry in the field. Kinda decided I would have to get like 4 bills cash or trade for this one or forget it. Figured most of the dealers would give 3 to 350 for it cause the book rated it at about 5 bills. I was not into it for very much anyway.

Got several offers, but just for 3. Tried some swaps, but nothing for a long time. Finally found a guy that wanted it for himself. He said he had alot of good winchesters. He had some o.k. carbines ans stuff on his table, mostly old levers and saddle rings. Too much for me to mess with. He said he did not have the 4 bills I wanted and it was worth more to him than that. So he told me to look at his tuff. Only newer stuff he had was a Beretta Jetfire .25, nicle for 275 and a nice Henry Lever .22 for 3 bills. He said either one and a bill for my gun. The Henry looked real nice except for a few small dings on the finish, right side of teh receiver. He said he had bought it new and dinged it in his safe so he decided to sell it. Told him it was a bit high for a used one. So I asked for 150. we settled on the Henry and a bill and a quarter for the 97. Good enough for me.

Alreday put some high rings and a 4X Tasco on it and popped a few ounds off just to get it on a P.V. pizza box at 25 yds. Will work on a better zero later. The little guns seem to be real popular around here. I had been looking for a 30-30 beater, but it will have to wait.

Again, generic pick. Photobucket would not cooperate.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-action.cfm

·
Registered
428 Posts
I love my little Henry lever action. I got it in 22 mag to accompany the PMR at the range. It was used but looked like it had never been out of the box. Everybody should own a lever action or two because they are just fund to shoot. I've been looking for a Winchester 9422 in magnum for a long time but have been unable to find one in the price range I'm willing to give.

Congrats on the trade, I think you did well..

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
We've got a few Henry .22s (including a Mare's Leg and the FoNRA edition I gave to my son) and have been very happy with them. Nice little rifles, American made, and from a company/family who enthusiastically support the NRA. (I met Sr. and Jr. at a function at NRA HQ in VA a few years back and they really impressed me.)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not picking up a Henry Golden Boy 17 HMR for a song and a dance when I had the chance last year. $300 in a fire sale, NIB, 100%. Someone got that great deal that day. I've always wanted a Henry. Someday. Nice trade by the way.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Strip the paint off and make it a " silver boy" .

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
If you don't have a Henry lever gun you really are missing out. I have several 22 rifles and I haven't shot any other then the Henry since I got it. It's fun, well made (in America) smooth and has a great finish even on the basic model like I have. Also they are cheap to shoot and easy to maintain. What more can you ask for.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Maybe not the, "He looked the other way so I grabbed the gun and ran," kind of deals I am used to reading about you getting, Pancho, but you still got a good rifle at a pretty good deal. I love mine. I have a scope with see-through rings on my Winchester 190 so, not being a huge fan of optics, I just use the irons on the Henry. I have heard that there are some aftermarket iron sights that are a real improvement but I already shoot the Henry better with open sights than I do with the open sights on either the 190 or my Glenfield 60. Lever guns are my favorite for rifle actions so I like shooting that Henry better than either of the semiautos.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe not the, "He looked the other way so I grabbed the gun and ran," kind of deals I am used to reading about you getting, Pancho, but you still got a good rifle at a pretty good deal. I love mine. I have a scope with see-through rings on my Winchester 190 so, not being a huge fan of optics, I just use the irons on the Henry. I have heard that there are some aftermarket iron sights that are a real improvement but I already shoot the Henry better with open sights than I do with the open sights on either the 190 or my Glenfield 60. Lever guns are my favorite for rifle actions so I like shooting that Henry better than either of the semiautos.
Nope, can't say the deals were smokin' hot steals. The 2 swaps were with private traders and I was suppose to be on the loosing side of the table. They are uuse to doing what I do also. So it comes out to a couple of gun tradeers trying to out-scam each other. Breaking even or getting something more desireable to each is usually the best option.

Got back to the Henry late this morning. Switched between the Winch and Federal brands. No problems with those. Had a few that failed to fire with the Rem. bulk pack. Got the rifle zeroed. Looks like Fed gives the best group. A half inch at 30 yds. is o.k. for me. It is accurate even with the low bucks Fed Lightning and bulk pack stuff.

Was telling a local trader about the gun cause he said he had bought a pretty rough one off a buddy a couple of weeks ago for a bill. He had painted the receiverand cold blued it. When he went to fire it, a case head blew on it. He decided to call the factory about the issue. They told him to ship it and they would repair it free. If it was too bad, it would be replaced. All he had to pay was the shipping and the deal was for life. He could not send it off quick enough. He is waiting to see what he gets. Sounds like good service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Brother-in-law has a Henry Big Boy ( I think this is the right name.. 45LC, brass rec.) It is absolutely the smoothest lever gun I have ever shot. FUNNNNN! Love that fact that these are American made.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I recently got to try one in 44 mag. It was more gentle than I had guessed; others had said the recoil was stout but I found it just about right for a target rifle. Enough to know you shot something but not going to hurt the next day if you shoot it a bunch of times. A very fine gun.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Hey Pancho, Glad as always to read about your trips to the wheeling deailin joint, we call a gun show. Even though you didnt walk away with smokin hot deals, I think you got out JUST FINE..

I would love to just go with you one time to a show, I need some tutoring on how to wrangle just right.:)

Good reading.

Jim

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Pancho, congrats on the new bangstick. I do love my Henry. One thing I don't like, or maybe just wish they did differently, was the loading tube. I wish they had a gate. I dont' know if you can do that with .22's (lr or mag), but I know you can with the larger rounds. Without the gate you loose the tactial reload ability which is one thing I really like about lever guns. Another is that when that rod is out of the gun I'm all a feart that it will get bent or damaged. I also find the wopping big slot in the .44/.45 caliber mag tubes to detract from the general looks of the guns.
That said, those Henry's are such sweet working guns. Eric, I like the 'silver boy' look yours have. I'm not sure where you are getting your models, but you might want to get with Olge Volk and see if you can upgrade. ;) I'm going to have to wait until I realy screw up the finish on mine before I get the courage to do strip of the paint. Did you put a clear coat finish or something on it, or is it just bare metal?

Lop

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Lop. Some fat Guy insists on showing up in all of my pics.
I just stripped the paint off. Cleaned it with alcohol. Light coat of oil. It shows finger prints but a silicone cloth before storage fixes that.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Pancho, Glad as always to read about your trips to the wheeling deailin joint, we call a gun show. Even though you didnt walk away with smokin hot deals, I think you got out JUST FINE..

I would love to just go with you one time to a show, I need some tutoring on how to wrangle just right.:)

Good reading.

Jim
Well, all I can say is that I think so too considering I was on the buying side of the table on the 2 guns I traded. All I put out that day on guns was 2 bills for the Taurus hicap .380 and 20 bucks on the Ruger MKI. Got a bill and a quarter back on the Henry/97 Winchester swap, so I was only out 95 bucks all together when I left. And I had one more gun than when I got there.

I've been looking for a snub .38/357, but didn't come across one. Prefer a Smith J frame, but I was not going to spend all my time looking for what I wanted. Figured good stuff would turn up and it did. My buddy spent all his time on the lookign for a short Ruger Single six and could not find one at the right price. Spent the rest of his time looking at other brands to compare prices and felt they were too high also. So all he left with was ammo cause he did not find what he WANTED.

I'll take whatever I can get at as good a price as I can get and other good stuff always turns up. Might be looking at a NIB Taurus snub .357 that a buddy has by the end of the week. He is interested in the Taurus .380 I got. Soemeting always turns up.:D

Got a call from my buddy the "Postal Postman" just now. He got a new Henry back from the factory for the beater he had bought for a bill from a friend of his. Said he was really pleased and surprised. Think i will be looking to buy as many beater Henrys as I can find now. Problem is I hardly ever seee any used ones for cheap.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lop,

I noticed the rod on mine didn't stay in well when it had no ammo in it. Already did what I did to a friend's Win. 94/22 mag. I just bent the small piece of the tube that locks the mag in place a bit towards the inside of the tube. That made it tighten up on the mag rod. So you have to intentionally pull on it to get it out. Have had too many fall out and get lost or bent. I never pull them completely out unless Ihave to. Also keeps the mag rod in one place while I load the gun. I don't have to hold the rod out to keep the hole in the tube open for the ammo.

Yes a side gate would be nice in a .22, but never have seen one. Looked at a couple of the bigger bore Henrys at the show. Capt'n Morgan was feeling up a Yella Boy in .22. Didn't check the prices.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm thinking with the heal seated bullet it might not be strong enough for that sideways preasure on the cartridge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dad has a Henry classic .22lr rifle that he originally got for my mom to shoot, but it hasn't really been fired much in the time my family has had it. It would nice to get it out and shoot some rounds through it sometime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The .22LR Henry lever gun is my favorite rimfire rifle. It's cheap and fun to shoot, and surprisingly accurate with a cheap Simmons scope. Love it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts