Help with slide not closing completly (w/pics)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Grant, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Grant

Grant New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I have searched all over and not seen any examples of this happening or maybe I'm just not sure of of the slang term used for what's happening. Below are a couple of pics. I have since done some fluffing and buffing and polished my ramp to a near mirror finish but haven't tested it since. I also tapered the extractor a bit. It was so pointed it looked like it might be catching on the case it rises up to slide into the chamber. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Grant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Need more info. Is the gun new or used? Clean and lubed? Did this happen while hand cycling or firing? Have you polished the chamber? What type of ammo? Doesn't look like a ramp problem since the bullet is already past it. From what information you have given I would say your ammo or the chamber is the place to look.

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    If this is happening just when you chamber a round (not when shooting) just nudge it in w/ a tap of your offhand . You probably will not have this happen when shooting . I have a P3AT that still after 300+ rounds has to be tapped to chamber the first round, it has not had 1 FTF when firing. Had a P 11 that did this but around 200 rounds it now has freed up and chambers very well.
    Clean -lube and shoot it.
    lube guide;
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm
    PS ,if ya have trouble extracting empties, call Kel Tec and get a new extractor (part # 181) it is suppose to be pointy

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    +1 for what Burley posted.

It is common for the loading the first round for it to hang just before barrel slides up into slide.

a quick release of the slide a slide pulled hard back so it slams closed as fast from hand as it does when firing.

the slides faces at the breach where the new round slides and at the barrel lug may be the area to polish.

you WANT the extractor to take a bite into the round so it has maximun engagement when thowing it out.

Like Burley, I just make it habit to palm the back of the slide right after I release it when loading the first round

5. As others have said- it is not uncommon for that first round, especially with a full mag, to need a nudge.

My NIB 3AT had that issue.

AFTER a very aggressive fluff and buff along with proper lubrication, this it how it operates now:

[​IMG]

Follow the link above to the fluff and buff, then lube as directed.

6. Grant

Grant New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys.

This happens while firing the gun. I had previously only done some light buffing with some sand paper including the feed ramp. And the gun was freshly cleaned and lubed. It only has about 150 rounds through it.

I'll try to pick up some ammo and shoot it this evening and report back.

7. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    "Tapered the extractor"???

Call Kel-Tec for a new one. You're gonna need it. There is NOTHING wrong with the extractor design.

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Cleaned & Lubed, but with what?

These guns like a very high film-strength grease on the slide rails.

Lots of them, especially when new, simply will not work with light oil or CLP for lube.

rcmodel

9. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Hmmm... Both of mine run just fine with Breakfree and nothing else. Always have. I did initially treat both with the heat activated Militec synthetic metal conditioner so maybe that helped some.

10. Grant

Grant New Member

Dec 4, 2008

It is lubed with Outers gun lube. What are you using on the slide rails. I'm going to try to get a few rounds through it this evening. I hope to know if I need a new extractor soon. Let's hope not.

11. Grant

Grant New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'll have to try again later, our only local store that carries ammo doesn't carry .380.

12. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Are you using re-loads by chance? I never polished anything on my P3AT and never had that kind of problem. I just clean and lube it. It is broke in now and is flawless. I had a few FTE's when it was new, especially when it was getting dirty from shooting 50+ rounds.

If you are having this much trouble with new ammo, the gun has a real problem. You might tear it down and make sure both springs are in place on the barrel.

Good luck
    Craig

13. Not so sure there is a real problem or not. CLEAN LUBE (per guide) SHOOT and repeat until 200-300 rounds and then let us know.

14. Grant

Grant New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I shot some Blazer through it last night and not a single problem. However keep in mind the Blazer is an aluminum case. I'll check back after I run some brass case ammo through it. I also need to see about getting a picture up of the little bit of the ejector I knocked off. I really feel this was the main problem. It had such a sharp point on it I think that was hanging it up.

Thanks for the responses and I'll keep you posted as I put some more rounds thru it.

15. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Looks like it needed a break in.
    You meant extractor I assume.
    If it FTE's with brass I would definitely get a new extractor.

16. k9pound

k9pound New Member

Jan 18, 2009

If this happens while firing, check your grip. Some people tend to ride the slide with the thumb of either hand. It doesn't take much to cause a FTF completely problem.