Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a brand new SG P3AT today. I carefully field stripped and lubed and filled the magazine with 6 Remington .380 shells.

I slid the mag into the pistol, but the magazine catch would not seat. No matter how hard I pushed, the mag would not seat properly. When it seemed that I had the mag in place, I could take my fingernail and pull the magazine out without pushing the mag release. The magazine locks fine when it's empty, but put shells in the mag and it will not lock down.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
The mag spring is still tight. Don't FORCE it! You may damage the catch. Load and unload it by hand several times. Fill it full and let it sit out of the gun overnight. For the next few days, load it one less round and insert. It will eventually break in.

Packer.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
It may be the magazine. Even without being loaded I have one magazine of four that will not reliably lock in - in either of my twins. I am returning that one for an exchange. It will lock if I really REALLY push hard on it but a release then does not make it "spring" out. I figure just a bad mag.

But now you have me worried and will try loading the others and seeing if they lock before I go to exchange this one!

-Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you may be right about the mag spring. I loaded it with 5 shells and it barely locked. 4 seems to lock without me being able to manually dislodge the mag. I will load it up and let it sit over night to break in the mag. If it continues to malfunction, I may be calling Kel-Tec for a replacement. Thanks!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
It's possible that a burr in the mag tube is keeping the spring from reaching the bottom. You might disassemble the mag and check that, but probably it will work, after down-loading it by one round and shooting it some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried again today after leaving it sit all night with a full mag. When I try to push the magazine into the pistol, it's like it's 'springy' and the magazine catch will not lock the mag down.

I took out one shell at a time and again tried to push the mag into the pistol. With 5 rounds it would barely catch. Upon slapping the butt, the mag would fall out. This repeated with shells 4 and 3. It would only stay put with 2 shells.

Must be a defective mag. I am calling Keltec Tuesday.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I don't understand this.

If it will lock with no shells, and lock with two shells, then it should lock with six shells, or five shells.

Nothing changes in relation to how many rounds are in the mag, except mag spring tension on the stack. If the catch cut-out is in the right place empty, it is still in the right place full.

Are you sure you are pushing it in hard enough to overcome mag spring tension on the top round when it is full, or nearly full?
(Don't palm-slap it! This isn't a 1911 race-gun!)

Put your thumb under the base-plate, fingers over the slide, and squeeze it real hard.

If that doesn't work, then you have a defective mag catch.
That's all it can be.

PS: Check the bottom of the grip and the top of the base-plate for plastic mold flash. Could be something there holding the mag out just slightly.

rcmodel

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know this is probably a long shot... but...

Could the mag spring be broken near the notch in the magazine where the catch fits into? If this is the case, the broken end of the spring may be preventing the catch from seating into the notch???

I mention this because I had a spring break after installing a +1 extension kit and it gave me similar symptoms a time or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the mag apart and there were no burs. The spring was perfect. I am convinced that I have a defective mag catch.

I reloaded with 4 shells since 6 won't work and racked the slide and the mag released Even without racking the slide if 3-4 shells are in the mag, a slap on the side of the grip will unhinge the mag. It almost sounds like "SPROING" when the mag releases. Almost like the mag catch is not holding the mag tight enough.

Hopefully, KelTec will be good enough to send me anoher without having to take it back to the gun shop.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Yes! they will send you the parts. Also ask for some new frame pins just in case.

You will have to pull the frame out to change the mag catch, or at least to install the new mag catch. Now is the time to read up on how to do it.

The mag catch is just plastic. If you slap the bottom of the mag even once, it can be shredded by the sharp steel mag edge.

After you get it right, always depress the mag release when inserting the mag

Packer.

G

·
pantseatflyer. I have over 4700 rounds through my 380 kt, and still on the original magazine catch, never had a mag ever pop out either. I do take care in inserting my magazine. I never slam it home, I always depress the release when inserting the magazine. alittle TLC and they will not wear out. My other 32 and other 380 has over 2000 rounds each through them and also the same original magazine release catch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm...must have been defective. I too am careful about not slamming the mags home. Heck... I just took it out of the wrapper two days ago and field stripped and oiled it. I haven't even taken it to the range. I loaded up the mag last night and depressed the mag release catch and attempted to put the mag in, but it kept popping out.

No worries. I know the Keltec will make it good.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice about inserting the mag. I promise I'll stop slapping it in (but it is a hard habit to break. At least I found out while the mag catch is still clicking happily along.
Grace and peace in Jesus this new year of 2007.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.