Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the long post. This isnt another post blaming keltec's website for recurring issues. I know now the issue lies in my computer, I am just trying to restore my computer to a usable state again and I wanted to make this post detailed as possible for whoever may want to help and needs to know the details of my experience/issue.

Two of my computers were hit with the virus from Keltec's website a couple months ago. One was my mom's laptop and boy was she pissed. The other was the family desktop. Malware bytes removed several Trojans, hijacks, etc on each computer and allowed us to operate.

The computers now seem to be free of actual viruses and I no longer get the multiple constant popup errors (computer hard drive temperature critical, fatal errors,.multiple sector on C: drive corrupt, and unable to write to C: drive) but everything is still gone or hidden. When I click the start button, the start menu is almost completely empty. I was able to use each computer to search for shortcuts to internet explorer and copy them to my desktop.

My problem is that now on each computer is in a state where i cannot access any documets or folders at all. I recall a post at some point that had some instructions on bkw to "un-hide" all of my hidden files, folders, and programs. Almost everything is hidden. I cannot find anything any way I know of. I am pretty inclined as to how to operate computers but am unable to resolve this issue. Any help to make my files would be much appreciated by my mother, my family, and myself.

I do not have backup files or disks to restore from so I really hope everything is able to be made accessible again somehow. Thank you again for the help and great members of this forum who make it such a pleasure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck with that,I lost a lot of my computer..even emails I'd saved for years are gone.I need a new computer anyway..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ding,

The problem you will face is there really isn't a convenient way to unhide the items that shouldn't be hidden, without also unhiding the items that are intended to be hidden.

I don't really have a problem with that so much, because one of the first things I do on any new computer is change the folder options and uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files", and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

So what I see when a file is "hidden", is the file, but it is dimmed. Now, some programs will fail to see the hidden file, so you really do need to paw through your hard drive and change the properties to remove the hidden property for things to work correctly. As above, you will likely end up unhiding things that were (properly) hidden before. But there's no real downside to that, other than making it possible for you to inadvertently delete or move a file, and whatever the consequences of that might be.

Some of these virii will do the same thing with the read only property, so you start getting access violation errors. The fix is the same - paw through the hard drive, selecting multiple items and adjusting the file properties to uncheck the read only and/or hidden properties. Depending on the folder, you might not be able to multi-select every item or subfolders.

Oh, and you WILL now put in place a reasonable backup scheme, won't you ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much guys for the helpful and quick replies. Especially will, even though your initial email came through to my phone at 4:50 AM Est here in Georgia and scared the living crap out of me, it was much appreciated lol!! I tried the link but managed to download 2 totally separate programs and didn't get the unhide exe program. I ended up using the manual instructions I found on the website you sent me. They were pretty much what pinstriper explained.

Now I am at the struggling point, the only issue I have found is when attempting to access the my pictures, music, and video options in my documents that have reappeared, I get an error to the effect of this file cannot be accessed or you are not authorized to access it with a red circle X icon. Can't seem to figure it out but I think it's related to what pinstriper forewarned me about..

Thanks for not having harsh remarks as others have had that are just wanting help with this... believe me I wish I didnt have to bring up this sore subject for many of us. Ugh... lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have found this site www.bleepingcomputer.com to very helpful, Its run by workers from Microsoft and other labs. They actually revived my machine from having no programs showing in the programs folder when they were actually there. I now trust them and while the steps are tedious, they will respond and stick with you until its either repaired or they will help you restart from fresh.

Try them...www.bleepingcomputer.com

MUch Success in getting it back ...

Symtron

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a program to unhide your files, I had to use it. The guy that fixed myt computer downloaded it from some geek site & ran it. I could the see folders but nothing in them, I had to run it a couple of times. And I forget what it was. But there is a fix!! If it still is on my work computer, will let you know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
it is called unhide.exe
I had to run it a couple of times to get everything back, for example, under file system tools, the folder was there but nothing in it. I ran it a couple of times and got everything back. Same with the rest of my folders.
It could have been the company that hosts keltecs website, not just theirs. In the server that hosts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts