Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member first post and I need help.
I have a 9mm Sub 2000 G2 and can not remove the Operating handle while disassembling the firearm. I take it apart exactly as the OM instructs as well as per KT videos, but after I remove the stock, then the buffer, then the captured recoil spring per the OM and KT's videos the Operating handle should just pull free and I can then remove the bolt and the bolt head. As it stands I can not remove the operating handle and subsequently can not remove the the bolt or bolt head.

One other oddity is I did manage to slide the bolt back until the O/handle contacted the back of the opening in the receiver and once I did that it wouldn't go back forward into place and was hitting the hammer. It is important to state I did not dry fire the gun and the hammer was in a fully cocked position. I had to take a screw driver and depres the hammer then the bolt would slide over it back inti place.

I did assemble and disassemble the carbine and it did dry fire OK but have yet to fire a live round from it to confirm it still works.

I have put about 250-275 100% trouble free rounds of 9mm factory ammo through it so far.
So is there a way I can fix this or back to Kel-Tec must she (really hope not) she go?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well, 1st, welcome to the forum.

On your problem I checked mine just to make sure I was remembering correctly and it SHOULD come out easily once the spring tension has been removed. If no one here has anything for you I would contact the mothership. Maybe they made a design change and didn't update the manual (I doubt it). But you're absolutely correct, it should come out easily. Have you tried putting some muscle into it? No tools or leverage, just muscle. All I can think of is that the tolerance of the parts is tight or that there is a burr from manufacturing. It should also turn freely since it's only a rod in a hole, does it do that?

If muscle does the trick you might want to work the charging handle in the hole a bit to loosen them up. One might be out of spec'.

Re: the hammer needing to be pushed down... Someone else mentioned that awhile back. Maybe they'll come in and add what they found out or what they did, but you did it right IMO. I have no idea why some require that. Manufacturing tolerances? IDK, maybe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
New member first post and I need help.
I have a 9mm Sub 2000 G2 and can not remove the Operating handle while disassembling the firearm. I take it apart exactly as the OM instructs as well as per KT videos, but after I remove the stock, then the buffer, then the captured recoil spring per the OM and KT's videos the Operating handle should just pull free and I can then remove the bolt and the bolt head. As it stands I can not remove the operating handle and subsequently can not remove the the bolt or bolt head.

One other oddity is I did manage to slide the bolt back until the O/handle contacted the back of the opening in the receiver and once I did that it wouldn't go back forward into place and was hitting the hammer. It is important to state I did not dry fire the gun and the hammer was in a fully cocked position. I had to take a screw driver and depres the hammer then the bolt would slide over it back inti place.

I did assemble and disassemble the carbine and it did dry fire OK but have yet to fire a live round from it to confirm it still works.

I have put about 250-275 100% trouble free rounds of 9mm factory ammo through it so far.
So is there a way I can fix this or back to Kel-Tec must she (really hope not) she go?
Did you purchase it used? Does it have an aftermarket (MCARBO) charging handle? I ask because a factory handle would effectively fall out after the spring was removed.

MCARBO has 3 generations of charging handle solutions. If you got the second generation, you have a small key remaining which will be doing two things: it keeps your charging handle from rotating and it prevents you from removing the handle until you get the key removed. If this is the case, you understand implicitly why the third generation integrated the key onto the recoil spring. If you can spin the charging handle, this is not the cause.

The hammer/bolt interference is a non issue. So long as the hammer is cocked - no damage motivating the bolt past it on the way to battery.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The charging handle should pull right out once the spring has been pulled out. Try to work around to see if it will break loose.

Until you have used it some, it will be a little tough to get the bolt back over the hammer but don't be afraid to push it forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your replies.
To answer some questions
I bought the gun brand new
It is still 100% factory stock and it is the original operating handle.

One other thing I should ad is once disassemble to the point the handle should come out, the handle is still in position so tightly it will not wiggle or rotate to any degree I can detect.

Did get to test fire it and it functions 100% normally.

Am going to call Kel-Tec today see if they can help or dobI need to send it back.

I will attempt to force the handle out using hand strength only but not to any extreme or use any tools or force multipliers.

Again thanks for the replies thus far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well tried and applied as much force by bare hands as I felt was wise and was unsuccessful. Will cal Kel-Tec next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, 1st, welcome to the forum.

On your problem I checked mine just to make sure I was remembering correctly and it SHOULD come out easily once the spring tension has been removed. If no one here has anything for you I would contact the mothership. Maybe they made a design change and didn't update the manual (I doubt it). But you're absolutely correct, it should come out easily. Have you tried putting some muscle into it? No tools or leverage, just muscle. All I can think of is that the tolerance of the parts is tight or that there is a burr from manufacturing. It should also turn freely since it's only a rod in a hole, does it do that?

If muscle does the trick you might want to work the charging handle in the hole a bit to loosen them up. One might be out of spec'.

Re: the hammer needing to be pushed down... Someone else mentioned that awhile back. Maybe they'll come in and add what they found out or what they did, but you did it right IMO. I have no idea why some require that. Manufacturing tolerances? IDK, maybe.
Ok so after removing the stock and pin pull recoil spring out then pull directly down on charge handle straight down should come out I had to rotate and pull down on mine as far as hammer goes if the safety button is not on safe when u begin to disassemble the hammer will drop causing it to b in a forward locked position in which case just go thru the chamber and reset the hammer with flat head screwdriver at least 12 in. In length

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still haven't called Kelly Tec yet will tomorrow
I REALLY REALLY don't want send her back but will if I have to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts