Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to field strip my fairly new 2G P3AT. Removed the assembly pin and the slide would not go forward. Tried harder, still would not go forward. Noticed that when holding the slide to the rear the barrel would move around an awful lot, including sliding back to the point that the front of it was flush with the front of the slide.

For some reason, decided to dry fire the gun. ::) Now the slide is really stuck.

Before doing this it seemed normal. I had put a pen into the action from above and closed the slide on it, as visual indicator that it was unloaded...not sure if that matters.

What do I do?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Warp said:
...Removed the assembly pin and the slide would not go forward...What do I do?
I would get over the bed, or close to a carpeted floor, pull the slide back and let it go. If it don't come at first, I would do a few more times before getting professional help :-/

On a new gun, there are several areas of the frame that get a little battered and have to be worn down. One would be the rails oppostite the ejector and the other is the recess the end of the guide rod rests in.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
If the guide rod & springs have not come out of their socket, then this is definitely something to try. The problem is, after dryfiring the pistol, it might be very hard to overcome the hammer to get the slide to go back.

Another thing to try, (if not a spring/guide rod situation) is to smack the back of the slide against a towel-covered phone book until it comes loose.

Packer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edit: Got the slide off. Just used a little force with the slide on the edge of a table. I was afraid to do that before, thinking I might damage something.

All seems well though.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  It WILL move backwards, but you will have to really force it to overcome the additional resistance of the dropped hammer.

You might try placing the barrel over the mouth of a 2 liter plastic soda bottle (so the barrel will go into the bottle while the bottle pushes against the slide) and pushing forward from the back of the grip.

Try to look in the sides or front with a flashlight. See if the guide rod is in its proper place.

Packer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  It WILL move backwards, but you will have to really force it to overcome the additional resistance of the dropped hammer.

You might try placing the barrel over the mouth of a 2 liter plastic soda bottle (so the barrel will go into the bottle while the bottle pushes against the slide) and pushing forward from the back of the grip.

Try to look in the sides or front with a flashlight. See if the guide rod is in its proper place.

Packer.

Thanks. I edited my above post soon after making it, that is what I did. Guide rod was in proper place, used a table for leverage to get the slide off.

Thanks for the help. :)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Okay! Now you want to examine everything for burrs, etc. to see why it stuck. Be sure to check the fit between the slide and the top of the barrel. Sometimes a new gun will stick there.

You can put the slide on without the barrel to test which was causing it.

Packer.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
the slide and barrel top would be my guess. some 600 or finer grit sandpaper, and some grease, and he should not have any more problems.

But a F&B would be in order while taking it apart.

8)

rjhauser - who had to enlist the help of Wilson and Jocko when his slide stuck back....and now has more slick 50 grease than he could possibly ever use in a hundred lifetimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.