Help poss new owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by medic, Oct 4, 2007.

1. medic

medic New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Can anyone give me some feedback. I am very interested in buying new 2 gen P3AT. I seen the serial #'s today and the 2 for sale start with JH and JE. I didn't get numbers after it. I had seen somewhere on the website that those ( JH and JE ) might of had problems. Feed back would be greatly appreciated. I shot one this week. Thought it was a great conceal carry. A little shocked when the first round popped me in the forehead. All the info I have gotten from KTOG has been great. Thanks for all your info.

Thanks,
    Medic

2. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Buy it, shoot it a bunch (several 100 rounds) and see what happens. If it isn't reliable, then send it back to KT and they'll fix it for free.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Those are very recent made.  

The only problem I recall was a few months back and an occasional where they drill the 1/4" hole in the slide for the recoil springs.  If you take the slide off and look where the guide rod comes through the slide, the ~1/8" hole.  If the 1/4 drill bit tip removed all the sides and made the metal thin, you might have a slide that will need to be sent back.  (the inner spring will push through the thin slide metal)

Getting hit in the forehead is an indication ofexcessive recoil travel due to grasp and causes a lot of problems for some shooters, you might want to try the 32 instead

4. medic

medic New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    JFB,
    Thanks for the info. When I was looking at it the guide rod it seemed to be sticking out a bit from the slide. I don't know if this is normal for them. I do remember thinking that it seems a bit much for it to stick out like that. I have an HK 45 USP that I shoot very often, but new to smaller carry guns. Again thanks.

5. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Look around and see if you can find one with a serial number starting with H. They still turn up and seem to have had few, if any, peening problems.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    That might be normal, mine sticks out 1/32" and is flush with the barrel. when the thin slide problem occurred, it is believed one of the attempts to fix was longer guide rods, so newer makes might be slightly longer.

7. Welcome to the board medic!

I think the serial number range you stated should be fine. Look at the guide rod hole and see how thick it is at the cross section where the rod acutally travels. If it is paper then, pass on that particular gun. If it is thicker than a dime, you should probably be ok.

And I hate to disagree with JFB, but I think if you shoot the 3AT enough, you will be able to handle the gun and avoid the head hitting brass. Do a search here and find the 2PP solution for limp wristing.

No matter what gun you decide to get, DO A FLUFF AND BUFF FIRST!

Then, shoot, clean, lube, repeat!

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll disagree, with me then too, i think :-/

If one uses your recomened grasp, you are correct, no problem

9. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome.
    Please keep us posted on what you purchase and how it shoots.

wyo-man

10. medic

medic New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Thanks for all the info. I feel better about buying it now. I will probably buy Monday then going out of town for a week. It will be hard not to shoot for a week. Found the gun for $ 275.00 at a Ft.Lauderdale gun shop. Everyone else around here wants $ 325.00. Again thanks and I will keep you posted.
    Medic

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Hi Medic. Welcome to KTOG! The light little P3AT needs more of a stiff wrist than other, heavier guns. When your wrist angles back, it points the top of the ejections port right AT your head--So of course the case will hit you.

This will happen with a superlight gun like this, and there's no shame in it.

Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
    2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
    3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
    4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
    5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
    This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you have malfunctions while firmly using this grip--Then it's the gun.

SINGLE HAND GRIP:

1. Line up on target.
    2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

To shoot from close in with one hand, do the same straining forward, but lock your elbow so the hand can't actually GET forward. This works from 90 degrees or even from the hip--By tensing your arm muscles. You should practice both.

Packer.