Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about my PF9 except 2 things... one is recoil. but that's the price you pay for one of the ligthest 9mm pistols out there. (if not the ligthest)

the other is that trigger. I'm a frim believer that when you have to use your weapon in a SD situation, trigger smoothness goes out the window (so does recoil... lol) but I would still love to smooth out that trigger! it's very long, and heavy. it's actually pretty smooth. I would like to bring it to about 5.5 to 6lbs which I think will fix that problem. the long trigger will act as the safety (which should be no problem because it's always in a remora holster when not in use)

any fixes out there? any gunsmith with a rather quick turnaround I can send it off to? (like a month max)

Thanks!

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
The PF9 trigger is listed at 5 pounds - it may be a little more, but I doubt it is much over 6 pounds. Have you actually measured the trigger pull with a gauge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know... I did, when I got it from a borrowed gauge when I first bought it. You're right, perhaps it wasn't so heavy. I can't remember...

What's bothering me is the really long length then. anything that can be done about that?

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
Maybe you are accustomed to single action guns with shorter pulls, I don't know. However, for a double action trigger, the PF9 is about average. The length and weight of pull is the only safety and is a design feature. There are many double action guns, inlcuding most revolvers, with longer and heavier pulls, to be sure. Borrow and shoot a P11. The pull is a bit longer and right at 10 pounds. ;)

If the gun is still fairly new, you may just need more trigger time to get accustomed to the gun. With more rounds down range, it will smooth out a bit. You might also polish the trigger bar, and lube it.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I know of no way to actually make the trigger pull lighter. However, you can make the perceived pull lighter better. The Northwoods aluminum trigger, which is wider and with a better curve, does this very well. In addition, it reduces the take up distance (pre-travel) as well as the over travel inherent in the the factory trigger. Overall, the aluminum trigger many of us have installed significantly improves the perceived trigger pull. You might want to check out the Northwoods Components web site on this.

Jim R

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the stock trigger is pretty decent but does take a little getting used to. Get some snap caps and do some dry firing - my guess is you will find it easier with some practice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Awful trigger":eek:
OH NOES! I made a spellee!!! :)

thanks for letting me know of the northwood guys, I'll check them out. might be just what I need.

I was shooting it today, and realized that the trigger pull is so damn long that with my long fingers, my finger starts sliding from start to finish. lol...

it's not new btw, over few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I looked at that trigger job. might be nice, but I honestly don't think I want to take an attempt at it. anyone have any keltec/pf9 gunsmiths that can do that? or shall I go look for one locally?

·
Registered
47 Posts
As mentioned earlier the fluff and buff can further smooth it out. I'm currently waiting on the northwood trigger to get here. Supposedly it makes it quite a bit better.

Try dry firing it with snap caps to get a better feel for the trigger. With practice it will feel "normal." my other pistol is a Glock (with a trigger job) so the long pull of the PF9 had been an adjustment for me also.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I did show u the hair dryer trick? Till ya get your hands on northwood, (waiting myself/kt380) this will work on poly trigger. Heat lite, bend, put in freezer....

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
OH NOES! I made a spellee!!! :)

thanks for letting me know of the northwood guys, I'll check them out. might be just what I need.

I was shooting it today, and realized that the trigger pull is so damn long that with my long fingers, my finger starts sliding from start to finish. lol...

it's not new btw, over few hundred rounds.
I might not be able to spill good, but i can use any da trigger very good.:D

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
OK, I looked at that trigger job. might be nice, but I honestly don't think I want to take an attempt at it. anyone have any keltec/pf9 gunsmiths that can do that? or shall I go look for one locally?
With the Northwood instructions, just about any half way competent gunsmith can do the job for you. But it really is not hard and is readily doable by just about any owner. If you have never taken apart the PF-9 or done any kind of home "gunsmith tinkering" it might take you an hour or so to do it yourself (just print out the instructions and follow them step by step). Others a little more experienced or confident usually can do this job in 30 minutes or less.

Jim R

·
Registered
54 Posts
but I honestly don't think I want to take an attempt at it
Anyone that has done the Northwood Trigger themselves should agree that it's only slightly more difficult than building a detailed model car.

For me, the old trigger practically fell out (one of the more difficult steps is getting the plastic trigger out) and assembly was not nearly as hard as some of the Christmas gifts I’ve got my kids. The parts are small, but not really delicate and certainly not fragile (which is good for a Neanderthal like me). The instructions are great and, although I didn’t use it, I understand that their tech support is also great.

I’d be happy to do the Northwoods install, or help anyone do it themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone that has done the Northwood Trigger themselves should agree that it's only slightly more difficult than building a detailed model car.
Can anyone place this trigger install on a difficulty scale along with assembling an AR lower receiver parts kit? I did that without any significant trouble, but all this talk about "half way competent gunsmiths" gives me the willies. I can put parts together, no problem, but gunsmithing involves things like fitting and shaping!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Can anyone place this trigger install on a difficulty scale along with assembling an AR lower receiver parts kit? I did that without any significant trouble, but all this talk about "half way competent gunsmiths" gives me the willies. I can put parts together, no problem, but gunsmithing involves things like fitting and shaping!
I would say a AR15 lower is about a 3 on a 1-10 difficulty scale and the trigger install is a 1. However I have done dozens of AR lowers and around 10 of the triggers. Even so the first one I did took about 20 minutes tops and the one I did this morning took about 10 minutes start to finish. That said I have all the proper tool, work bench, etc already set up so your time will probably be more. I will install any triggers anyone buys who is local and wants to bring it by for no charge. You can wait and watch if you want to. If anyone wants to ship a gun in for this it's no problem either but it will be a little pricey for the shipping charges.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is my first hand gun and I am somewhat mechanically inclined. If you print out the instructions and follow them page by page you will not have any problems. I think people start reading the parts about snipping the trigger off, making the overtravel adjustments that scares people off. With the tools included in the package driving the trigger pin out was not a problem. I think very few people have had to cut the trigger off and I haven't read where anyone has had to make any of the travel adjustments. If you are not at all mechanically inclined it's probably not a good idea to attempt it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts