Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm finally starting to understand the peening issue, after doing some reading (yes, I was hiding under a rock til the weekend re the issue). Here's my question...in a month or so I will be hitting a store or two locally looking for a P3AT. Can somebody explain to me what the estimated "risky" serial number range is, and how to read the P3AT serial numbers anyway? Is it hexadecimal? I'd like to be able to walk in and identify which ones (they have several) are likely to be unaffected by the problem. Of course, the warranty makes it less of an issue, but I'm poor and I can't afford to spend 400 rounds of 380, only to have to start over again on a new slide to break it in. Thanks all!

G

·
Nic-
It seems that most have given up trying to determine by serial number if you will get a slide that is genetically predisposed to peening.

Before I buy the next 3AT I buy...(yes I did say the next)... I will look at the slide and see how the guide rod hole looks. I will only buy one if the slide is at least dime thick at the guide rod hole. If it is thick, and milled flat, I will probably ask the seller if he has more than one in stock!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
I will only buy one if the slide is at least dime thick at the guide rod hole. If it is thick, and milled flat, I will probably ask the seller if he has more than one in stock!
Can you clarify this? I first thought you meant "ask the seller if he has more than one in stock" so you could buy a different one, not that one...or do you mean you'd buy his inventory out?

Basically, am I to infer that thick, flat slide at guide rod hole = good P3AT, in general? I'll make sure to bring a dime! ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Nic - he is saying he would buy all they had if they were that thick!

I am pretty sure we are not going to see any milled flat anymore. That is not a matter of whether a particular operator or machine "over did it" but rather it seems they somewhere in the past switched from a flat bottom milling machine to a drill bit.

I can't say that I have ever seen a flat bottomed one first hand but my earliest P3ATs are J......

-Scott

G

·
adamsesq said:
Nic - he is saying he would buy all they had if they were that thick!  

-Scott
Scott knows me well apparently.

I would love to get my hands on a box full of nice fat slides with milled bottoms... but as Scott has indicated........they probably do not exist. The way these guns are selling, I know I would not have trouble getting my $ back if I needed to sell them.

I have seen pics of some of milled bottom slides( I think I did anyway....) They are very good looking indeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.