Help! Magazine falls out!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by subsonix, Jun 2, 2009.

1. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    I installed a +1 mag extension and now the magazine randomly falls out when shooting the gun causing a jam. I thought I was hitting the release at first, but that wasn't the case.

The added stability of the mag extension is great and I would like to keep it if possible. I assume the cheap plastic mag catch is not able to keep the mag locked in with the extra force on it from the extension.

What do you guys suggest I do? Don't say remove it because I can figure that one out on my own. I'm looking for a solution for the mag catch that hopefully won't require a return to keltec, although It looks like that's where this is headed.

[​IMG]

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    If you do speed loads and slam the mags into the gun like a combat auto, the plastic mag catch has been damaged.
    You need to hold down the mag catch when seating mags.
    Replace the catch with a new one from K-T Service dept..

Either that, or the mag extension is hitting the bottom of the grip and not allowing the mag to seat fully.
    Trim excess mold flash off with a sharp knife.

rc

3. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I installed a metal magazine catch, and with the +1 extension, the magazine wouldn't lock in place.
    After a close inspection, I noticed the +1 had much more material above the groves then the factory magazine base plate.
    I took some 600 grit sand paper on a flat table, and sanded a little off the +1 until it caught.
    It now works perfect, I wanted to leave the plastic grip alone, since I had already trimmed the grip everywhere.
    Only took a few minutes. Took the bluing off the top, but when in the gun you can't see it.

4. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Hmmm...

I don't press the mag release when loading mags, but I don't slam them in either. This is a fairly new gun, so it shouldn't be worn. This part should be made of metal. Seems like an oversight to me. A metal release wouldn't cost much or weigh more. I shouldn't have to worry about something like a mag release wearing IMO.

I will check the +1 for proper height and, if neccessary, replace the mag catch.

Thanks a million guys. Now, where is that sandpaper...

5. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    SubsoniX,

A call to Kel Tec service will get you a new mag release at no cost. I think the sandpaper will solve this though.

Billy

6. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Well, the mag is seating properly so it isn't the +1. The catch has a little wear on it, but doesn't seem excessive.

I have a new theory after thinking about it for a while. Could it be possible for the FTE to cause this since it tries to wedge another shell in below the spent one? It seems like the force of the slide trying to close could push the magazine down past the catch. I was thinking the mag falling out was causing the FTE, but I am starting to think it is the other way around.

Chicken or egg? What do you think?

7. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't know the answer, but did you give Kel-Tec a call?

8. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Not yet

Guess I'm still waiting for someone like L4E to post some simple miracle cure that will make me feel dumb for not thinking of it first.  :p

Nah, I am just looking for opinions while I wait for ammo. I don't want to send in my gun (which is what they will want if I call) unless I absolutely have to. I also like to fix things myself. Problem is, I can't do squat right now since there isn't any .380 ammo in my area. I need to shoot it again so I can study what it is doing. I'll also try to take some pics that show the failure.

I was shooting with some friends and was kind of embarrassed about the jams/mag problem, so I was clearing them quickly instead of figuring out what was happening like I should have been. After the fourth jam in 2 mags I just quietly put it away and pulled out the PLR16 which changed their attitude about KT REAL FAST! Everyone that shot it had a huge stupid grin on their face afterwards.  ;D

In the meantime I think I will polish the chamber good and check the extractor and extractor mark on the shells (once I get ammo) for a problem. If the FTE is the root cause, I can fix that  ;).  

I still want a metal catch...  

9. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Metal mag catch here:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233403790

Check the metal floor plate of the +1 kit, the one I have for my P32 would hang up on the part #279 the hammer spring catch. The magazine wouldn't always seat correctly, I did a little sanding to both parts and it fits great now. I would call KT and get a replacement mag catch or go for the metal one if you prefer.
    Do you have a second mag that you could compare to the one with the +1 kit?

CJ

10. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    For us that don't have a lot (25 or more) of posts, where can we pick up a metal mag release? I've been keeping my eyes out for a picture of one on the forum here, but cannot seem to spot one. Does anyone have or know where a picture can be located?