Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally like my Gen2 Sub2000 9mm but have one major issue with it; I find acquiring a good sight picture with the stock iron sights to be EXTREMELY awkward. The idea of smashing my face down so low and forward just doesn't appeal to me and there's got to be a better way of doing this. I'm new to mounts and optics and such having been much more focused on the pistol side of gun ownership, do they make an optic mount that sits up very high? As in way above the iron sights so that I don't have to cram my head down like usual? Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I faced the same issue... my solution is an EOTech with a factory 7mm
throw lever riser on top of a LaRue 5/8" riser. I left the factory sights as-is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I had the same issue. I removed the open sights and now use a red dot only. I mounted my red dot on a 1/2" high throw lever riser. Risers can be gotten in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" (they are cheap).

I use a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot because I can turn it on the low setting and it will last about a year at a time before I do a routine battery change. The same method works with just about any brand of red dot that uses a picatinny base. You do not have to remove the open sights to do this.

My sight is mounted on a Red Lion Precision forend, but mounting on a stock Gen 2 forend is the same - EXCEPT - you may have to use a flat file and flatten the center peak of the rail that is formed by the two halves being bolted together.

:nopics:

so,

Here is a Dead Ringer green dot mounted:

and a scope installed using a cantilever mount:

·
Registered
25 Posts
A great solution for a Gen 2...Midwest Industries (MI) red dot mount for a Primary Arms Advanced Red Dot sight. Darn near perfect!

Ed

AND, it easily pivots out of the way then back for folding. They (MI) suggest mounting it farther back and while folded, tying the bolt back. I moved mine one slot forward and when folded, can leave the bolt "home". I find the forward position of the sight to be of no consequence and it actually works quite well IMHO.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Looks interesting Marco.
I did the (free) folding rear sight mod.
I tried shooting it using just the front sight with great success at 25 yards. But I am very used to scruching down on the sub for proper sight alignment.
Some members have tried making their own taller sights. With varying degrees of success and looks.

There is an older thread in the archives. Something about "big head"...

And rumor has it some manufacturer has plans for taller sights... Don't hold your breath...... :-(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Went with the red dot + riser like a few others here. Mid-height riser for absolute co-witness to irons on the rail. With the high riser, you'd get a little more height and lower 1/3 co-witness:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks good! Couple of questions please... do you think that the height is now enough for a guy with bi-focal glasses to hold his heard straight up and use the sights? It looks like you removed the factory sights, bought a iron (or is it plastic) rail with sights attached and then mounted an electronic optic on top. Is that correct?

If you don't mind, who makes the gear you added?

Thanks,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks good! Couple of questions please... do you think that the height is now enough for a guy with bi-focal glasses to hold his heard straight up and use the sights? It looks like you removed the factory sights, bought a iron (or is it plastic) rail with sights attached and then mounted an electronic optic on top. Is that correct?

If you don't mind, who makes the gear you added?

Thanks,
I folded down the rear sight (aftermarket listed below) so you can't tell but yes, the new setup sits higher than the stock sights. I'll see about taking another picture with the rear sight up to show the height difference.

A list of the parts on that gun as it relates to your question:
- Red Lion Forend
- Aftermarket forend / handguard that allows you to have an optic, yet fold the gun completely by rotating the handguard​
- 19 slot picatinny rail on top​
- AimSports T1 Mount - absolute co-witness (mid-height)
- You can also choose a taller mount aka "Lower 1/3 co-witness". Here's a good illustration showing the difference. Absolute co-witness on the left; Lower 1/3 co-witness on the right.​
- Holosun Red Dot sight
- Magpul Flip up back-up iron sights
- Lever-actuated rear iron sight

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Also check the FAQ. There are several front sight options that may be taller. Members were putting AK, and Hi-Point front sights on their gen 1 subs that IIRC could be taller. The challenge was to raise the rear sight. Members were successful with this too. Someone simply ordered 2 from the factory and "built" a taller rear sight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I folded down the rear sight (aftermarket listed below) so you can't tell but yes, the new setup sits higher than the stock sights. I'll see about taking another picture with the rear sight up to show the height difference.

A list of the parts on that gun as it relates to your question:
- Red Lion Forend
- Aftermarket forend / handguard that allows you to have an optic, yet fold the gun completely by rotating the handguard​
- 19 slot picatinny rail on top​
- AimSports T1 Mount - absolute co-witness (mid-height)
- You can also choose a taller mount aka "Lower 1/3 co-witness". Here's a good illustration showing the difference. Absolute co-witness on the left; Lower 1/3 co-witness on the right.​
- Holosun Red Dot sight
- Magpul Flip up back-up iron sights
- Lever-actuated rear iron sight

Flipped the rear sight up. A couple pics with and without sight height lines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The fact that the Midwest Industries folding mount was dedicated to the T1/T2 mount was very frustrating to me. I couldn't understand how they could bypass the standard picatinny rail configuration.

Yesterday I was back on their web store in contemplation of giving in and buying the mount as it's pretty much the ultimate mount for the S2K it would seem.

I immediately whipped out the plastic upon seeing this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Kel-Tec-PLR-16-Products-s/268.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue, always shooting low. I think it's just me and I suck at shooting open sights so I gave up on the sights on this gun and added on a $70 SightMark red-dot reflex optic that I got off of Amazon. It is raised up 1/2" with an Aimfiree extended rail riser that I got off the internet someplace for $10. Problem solved.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
The fact that the Midwest Industries folding mount was dedicated to the T1/T2 mount was very frustrating to me. I couldn't understand how they could bypass the standard picatinny rail configuration.

Yesterday I was back on their web store in contemplation of giving in and buying the mount as it's pretty much the ultimate mount for the S2K it would seem.

I immediately whipped out the plastic upon seeing this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Kel-Tec-PLR-16-Products-s/268.htm
Wow.

That looks VERY interesting!

Please share some pictures and a range report after you get it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Midwest Industries G2 SUB-2000 Rotating Optic Mount; Picatinny Rail Model.

I installed the mount in the third slot out from the hinge, looking to clear the *closed* bolt while getting proper use of the mount. (None of that ridiculous shoestring thingamabob, thank you.). I first mounted a Pentax micro I had been gifted (not sure of the model) and found that I needed to hang five to use it. Hmmmm,,,,,,,

(If someone could comment about about the procedure for uploading multiple pics per post, that would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
As I had a Bushnell TRS-25 handy, I compared the two micro RDS's and found the Pentax noticeably bigger. Installed the TRS, and , as pictured would be fully servicable, but I plan to install flip up scope caps, so I ended up mounting it biased to hang partially over the rail for a little more room.

***More to come later on a modified mounting system for securing the MI mount to the S2K***

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.