HELP!!! FTE and FTF. Slide damage too.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tonydl3, Aug 7, 2010.

1. tonydl3

tonydl3 New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I just bought a used P3AT for my girlfriend. I cleaned it and we went to the range with it on Thursday. Out of 50 rounds of monarch brand ammo, we had about 10 failure to fires. It looks like the firing pin stuck the primer but not hard enough. There was also one failure to eject. No problem feeding. Went home and cleaned it. Took out the firing pin to clean it and check for any friction, and it was good. I noticed that the under side of my slide had a hole of some sort. Doesn't look like it was punctured but maybe it was milled to deep and now there is a hole there. Will this affect performance any? Well I took it back to the range today and things seemed to work flawlessly for the first 30 rounds but then we had a few failure to fires but tons of failure to ejects. Seems like it was malfunctioning every other round. Went home to clean it out and noticed damage on the frame and barrel that I didn't see before. Looks like the barrel rubbed against corner of the frame. Can somebody shed some light on these issues because my girlfriend and I love shooting this gun when it works and don't want to give up on its company just yet. Please look at the picture below to see damages. thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    All the things you've pointed out in the pictures is normal. The mark on the slide is just the end of the extractor screw hole, some have this "blemish" and others don't. The wear on the frame and barrel is also normal. Maybe you didn't notice it before or maybe the gun hadn't been shot much before you bought it. None of these things will have any effect on the P3's function.

I would double check the firing pin and the firing pin hole, IIRC there is a post that shows how to use a drill bit to clean the hole. I think you just find a drill bit that fits and gently turn it by hand only in the FP hole. You could also flush it out with a aresol cleaner like Break Free powder blast (can be found at WM) or break parts cleaner.

Also I would try several different types of ammo, some KT's are ammo sensitive.

When you say "failure to eject" does that mean that the empty case is stuck in the chamber (failure to extract) or is the empty brass stuck between the slide and barrel partially holding the slide open ? ("stove-pipe" failure to eject)

CJ

3. tonydl3

tonydl3 New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    As for the FTE, there was both "failure to eject" and "failure to extract". But the majority of the malfunctions were the "failure to extract". Any idea except different ammo. I went the cheap route the first few trips at the range but will spend the money on high quality ammo next time.

Thank you CJP32 for information about the slide, frame, and barrel. I could have missed those marks before. And I will try the drill bit method for cleaning it out. Thanks.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The failure to extract could be caused by a bad extractor or a loose extractor screw. The screw should be tight but be careful not to strip the head, also use some blue Loctite. KT will send replacement parts for free if needed.

It's also possible that "limp wristing" could be leading to the malfunctions. The term isn't intended as an insult, it can be a common problem with these lightweight pistols. Sometimes the shooter can absorb too much of the recoil and therefore slow the rearward movement of the slide to the point that you have malfunctions. The best advice I can give if this is the case would be to focus on locked wrists and bent elbows. You don't have to hold it with a "death grip". There are alot of good posts on the subject if you want to try a search or two.

FWIW "cheap" ammo isn't necessarily bad ammo. Just try to avoid anything that is steel or aluminum cased, KT considers them to be non-standard. Just buy a couple different kinds of FMJ and give them a try.

CJ

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    All good answers.  If the gun is more than 2 years old, it may have the old hammer block system.  Those pistols require that you release the trigger fully forward between shots. otherwise the hammer block has not reset and the hammer will drop off the block.  This results in a light strike every time.  With the newer hammer block system, if you short stroke the trigger it locks up and cannot be pulled, signaling that you didn't release it fully forward.

Since the gun worked perfectly for a while, it may have just gotten gunked up and the slide action was slowed down.  It is a very light slide and anything that adds friction can throw off the timing.  If the gun had been shot very little by the previous owner, it could be a breakin issue that might improve over time.  If the gun has been shot a lot, it might like new recoil springs which KT service will send you for free.

Make sure that your extractor screw is snug.  Sometimes even a quarter turn loose can affect extraction.  

A cursory cleaning after X number of rounds might be required for the first several hundred rounds.  

If you are handy, the gun may benefit from a little polishing. Essentially, this speeds the breakin process and reduces friction.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

Make sure it is well cleaned and properly lubed like this:
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

Experiment with several different brands of decent quality, brass cased, FMJ ammo.  Try some SD rounds after you have established reliability as they are often more challenging to feed.  Some rounds have harder primers than others.  If the gun has been shot a lot, it might also need a new hammer spring to overcome the light strikes, assuming that switching ammo does not help.

6. tonydl3

tonydl3 New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Thank you all for great advice and I will be sure to do everything that has been suggested to me. I was just wondering, would kel-tec send me free parts for my gun even if I'm not the original owner?

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Technically, the lifetime warranty only extends to the original owner.  In reality, they almost never ask so just don't go volunteering that information.  I am reasonably sure that they know they are sending out some parts to owners of used guns.  The same is true for warranty repairs.  The manual says that you should send in a copy of your receipt with the gun.  No one does that and they don't ask for it.  I have yet to see KT refuse to service a gun for free or to send out small parts.

When you need a replacement part, call the service department (not parts).  Please don't go nuts and ask for one of everything. They are very generous and we'd like them to stay that way.  Just ask for what you need to fix or maintain your gun.  For example, assuming you want recoil springs, just tell them the gun has a lot of rounds, sometimes you're getting FTEs and you'd like to install new recoil springs.  They'll be in your hands in about 3 or 4 days.

I keep some spare parts kits for my KT pistols but I called the parts department and bought them.  KT parts are dirt cheap.  I think recoil springs are something like 50 cents.  Often, the shipping cost more than the part.  When you get parts from service needed for repair and/or maintenance, the shipping is free.