Help - FP won't strike primer

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Steve_in_sunny_Fla, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Steve_in_sunny_Fla

Steve_in_sunny_Fla New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    My p3at has been flawless. Then I cleaned it and added a trigger stop. Now it won't fire. I was careful when re-istalling the fP that the cutaway was in the right position so it wouldn't have an issue with the frankenbolt. The spring is installed on the front of the FP, ad I can push the back of the pin and the firing pin moves forward easily and extends out of it's bore as I would expect. I also added a trigger stop when I cleaned it. I have it filed so that the trigger comes up against it, and a little more pressure will drop the hammer. apparently I've done something wrong, but it escapes me as to what. The firing pin doesn't even touch the primers. Help! TIA, Steve

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Remove the slide, pull the trigger while cushing the hammer with your thumb.

Does the hammer go all the way forward?

Did you remove the frame from the grip for the cleaning?

It sounds like you have a hammer block problem.

3. Steve_in_sunny_Fla

Oct 27, 2010
    Zeke - the hammer does not go all the way forward. it only returns to the point it was at prior to pulling the trigger, and actually I see it drop further when I release the trigger, but not all the way down. I didn't remove the grip from the fram at all, but I did blow it out with compressed air when I was cleaning it. Now what? Steve

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I' d take the trigger stop off and try. If not, the hammerblock is out of kilter.

5. Steve_in_sunny_Fla

Oct 27, 2010
    After reviewing some other posts, it would appear that I cleaned the weapon so well the ejector disappeard. Would this prevent the hammer from dropping? I know I need a new ejector before the weapon is useable, but I'm thinking the problems are inter-related. thanks, Steve

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nope - not related to your problem and the gun will probably run without the ejector, at least until the last round. Typically, the upcoming round will knock out the empty.

7. Steve_in_sunny_Fla

Oct 27, 2010
    thanks guys - the ejector WAS there, i looked under better light - but the problem was the trigger stop. I'm gonna start another post about it, I think it bears the extra attention. Thanks again - Steve

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Glad you figured it out. ;)

9. liltoy

liltoy New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I assume that the trigger stop was keeping you from fully pulling the trigger allowing the hammer to strike... am I right? I do not think I will be doing the trigger stop mod until I read your other post.

Glad you figured it out.   ;)
    [/quote]

10. Steve_in_sunny_Fla

Oct 27, 2010
    It would drop the hammer, but only to the stop position. I had to file away a little more of the trigger stop and all is well. Steve

11. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    They are designed to only fully drop the hammer in the fully pulled position. Someone has a thread on this site about this. You can't use the trigger stop to stage the trigger. If trigger is not back far enough the hammer will not fall to prevent accidental discharge as much as possible. Most DA triggers are this way. I know if I pull the trigger on my S&W while holding the hammer and let go of the trigger the hammer will fall but the block also drops to where the hammer can't activate the firing pin.

12. liltoy

liltoy New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Did you use an eraser? I am thinking about using epoxy to put something hard and plastic on the back of the trigger that I can shave down to achieve the result