Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone .... i am new to the forum.

Last week i purchased a Sub 2000 9mm Glk 17, i shot it for the first time yesterday and loved the accuracy and the fact i can use all my high capacity glk mags. I heard about the recoil before i purchased it but hey its a pistol calibre how bad can it be. Well its not bad but with the fact i had to press my cheek down hard on the tube to get a site pic and my ear-protection got in the way a bit. The recoil was a little surprising and i saw Keltec makes a heavy weight bolt...i have read allot today on it and it seems i am getting mixed conclusions as to its apparent help with felt recoil. I would like a little less recoil, i have already ordered a two finger Sumo bolt handle. Will i benefit a little by using the Keltec heavy weight bolt? Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from all of you.

Marko

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hello everyone .... i am new to the forum....Marko
WELCOME ABOARD Marko :D

I have the same sub as you. Using full-powered ammo in mine, I found it useful to install the heavy brass bolt. There are several discussions in various threads. Let me suggest using the SEARCH function by inserting "Sub2000 brass bolt less recoil" and reading the threads that appear, as it may be helpful to you. AoG

·
Banned
325 Posts
Marko, welcome to the forum! I havent had any issues with my sub 2000 9mm. I dont feel the recoil is too much for me. I may be wrong, but I think the heavier bolt was more designed for the 40 s&w caliber sub 2000 rifles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello everyone .... i am new to the forum.

Last week i purchased a Sub 2000 9mm Glk 17, i shot it for the first time yesterday and loved the accuracy and the fact i can use all my high capacity glk mags. I heard about the recoil before i purchased it but hey its a pistol calibre how bad can it be. Well its not bad but with the fact i had to press my cheek down hard on the tube to get a site pic and my ear-protection got in the way a bit. The recoil was a little surprising and i saw Keltec makes a heavy weight bolt...i have read allot today on it and it seems i am getting mixed conclusions as to its apparent help with felt recoil. I would like a little less recoil, i have already ordered a two finger Sumo bolt handle. Will i benefit a little by using the Keltec heavy weight bolt? Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from all of you.

Marko
I run the heavy bolt (waiting on a suppressor), a recoil pad, and I mounted an EOTech on a riser to eliminate cheek weld issues.

Are you expecting snow Monday / Tuesday, we have it the forecast in NE Georgia... grip it & rip it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No snow here never im at the beach just north of Myrtle beach in NC, 73 today but suppose to dip into the high 50's over the weekend which will be cold for golf but oh well. High 60's mon-tues. aYour setup looks nice! thanks for sharing... i think im ordering the brass bolt and see what it does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The heavy brass bolt arrived today ,also have the recoil buffer foam thingy: I peeled two off and have them on the spring. Also got the rubber recoil pad that i see H20 man has installed. It fits great and looks good.I was going to try it out today but its only 45 here today which is crazy cold for here and i am not liking it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MARKO - Any updates yet?

I am debating on getting that bolt too, I shoot 9mm, usually 115 gr. FMJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
To be honest I thought about this and think it's a solution in search of a problem especially for the 9mm. This rifle has almost nonexistent recoil to me, I can't see how this would be needed? It's got less recoil than a 5.56/223 which is almost toylike to me.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
To be honest I thought about this and think it's a solution in search of a problem especially for the 9mm. This rifle has almost nonexistent recoil to me, I can't see how this would be needed? It's got less recoil than a 5.56/223 which is almost toylike to me.
Then don't buy one. The heavy bolt was originally created to address a heavy recoil impulse in the .40 S&W versions of the Sub. But if it makes it less objectionable for anyone else who are we to question it?

Reactions: GL9CK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smoky

I will update tomorrow...i played Golf all weekend so no range time. EW3 The 9mm recoil to me on this little carbine is an annoyance to me. I am a big guy 6'2 195 so i was surprised as to the felt recoil, my 9mm handguns i feel nothing but again i am not holding them against my should and shooting a few hundred rounds. Smoky i intend shooting 115 gr factory Magtech, 115 gr hand loads with 4.2 bullseye and 115 gr with 4.5 gr bullseye hand loaded. I will post something tomorrow. I have the brass bolt in with two rings of the recoil buffer in there.

Marko

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
A sub has more recoil than an AR. That's why people who shoot AR's think the recoil is "harsh"
I don't think it feels abusive, but would not mind being able to get back on target for quicker follow up shots. YMMV

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 9mm S2K is NOT a recoil monster, and don't assume I'm talking about anyone's experience other than my own. I installed the H bolt because I plan to run a suppressor... the recoil pad is for added LOP, and to cover the sharp edge of the factory butt stock.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
The 9mm S2K is NOT a recoil monster
Please do not make subjective statements that concern other people's sensitivity to recoil. Experience levels, differences in hold, age, old injuries, all of these can contribute to how a person perceives recoil.

Reactions: stacy3424

·
Registered
23 Posts
Further Explanation!

I agree that the recoil is not that bad on the 9mm sub2K. The main problem is the sights are, as many of you can agree with, not the best set-up and cause you to jam your cheek down on the tube. To me this tends to amplify the recoil bang on my cheek and jaw after a day of shooting 100 or 200 rounds. It would be nice to soften that blow some, that's all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.