Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
How much does the Recoiless charging handle weigh? Reason for asking is that the Heavy bolt weighs in at 14.4 oz. Does the Charging handle really weigh 14.2 ounces? I cannot seem to find the weight of it. Maybe it is just me but that seems like a lot of weight for the handle. I am still new to the Sub 2000. Only have mine for about a month or so.
here is my weights; on a very accurate hundredths scale 27.52g on the stock handle, 97.11g on the MCARBO heavy handle
stock handle.jpeg
heavy handle.jpeg

Reactions: Yankee_Rebel

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bolt weight in the S2k:

1. the charging handle affixes directly to the bolt so it's weight adds to the reciprocating mass.
2. bolt speed directly correlates to perception of recoil in a blowback action like the s2k
3. increasing reciprocating mass slows the bolt speed.

So the thread is discussing two ways of slowing the bolt which can be applied independently or concurrently. Yes, both parts increase the total weight of the Sub. But the effect on perceived recoil is because this weight is being applied to the reciprocating mass of the bolt which is slowing it down.

Note I discuss perception because recoil is subjective. The increased mass still has to be slowed and then reversed by the recoil spring. Bolt momentum is figured as weight times velocity and we are increasing mass to reduce velocity. My analogy is the difference between a slap and a shove. Less weight feels like a slap; more weight feels like a shove.

I have both the heavy charging handle and the brass bolt, but I have not installed the brass bolt yet.

Finally, I agree with the poster that indicated the biggest recoil improvement I've experienced resulted from modifying the buttstock. The factory g2 buttstock is a evil torture device that concentrates the recoil impulse enough to bruise many shooters including myself. Most folks report improvements from the heavier/slower bolt configurations. I will honestly tell you effect from the heavy handle was very small compared to the effect from my buttstock improvements.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The MCARBO part that made the biggest difference in felt recoil, for me, is the muzzle brake, followed by the butt pad, then the heavy bolt and recoil-less charging handle.
Altogether they make a significant difference.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts