Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the "heavy weight bolt" from Kel-Tec and if so did it reduce felt recoil? reading the information on it , it states it reduces recoil.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for your response. Sounds like it may not be worth getting. just thought I would ask.
I would expect a substantial weight difference between the heavy bolt and the heavy charging handle. However, having neither, I'm definitely speaking out of school.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've had the heavy bolt weight in my S2k for a very long time and thousands of rounds of butterfly fart competition ammo have been through it with it installed. I didn't install it for recoil but to increase the bolt mass for better functioning. The more mass I had shoving the cartridges into the chamber the better I liked it. I also had a heavy MCarbo handle installed.

Frankly the recoil never bothered me even a match with a high round count, so I'm not the person to ask about recoil reduction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much does the Recoiless charging handle weigh? Reason for asking is that the Heavy bolt weighs in at 14.4 oz. Does the Charging handle really weigh 14.2 ounces? I cannot seem to find the weight of it. Maybe it is just me but that seems like a lot of weight for the handle. I am still new to the Sub 2000. Only have mine for about a month or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not about the overall weight of the parts versus one another, it's about the difference between the aftermarket part and the one it replaces on the gun. The recoiless charging handle nets more weight gain over it's stock counterpart than the heavyweight bolt, according to what I've read. It would be the better recoil management option if you're just doing one, and if you're just doing it for recoil reduction.

·
Registered
212 Posts
MCARBO https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-recoilless-charging-handle.aspx says "adds 2.2 oz"
KelTec https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/sub2000-heavy-weight-bolt/ says "weighs 14.4 oz"
Internet https://forum.mcarbo.com/t/kel-tec-heavy-bolt/3699/2 says for standard "12.8 oz"

So delta for heavy bolt is 1.6 oz and heavy charging handle 2.2 oz.

I suppose if you were ambitious, you could drill out the standard bolt and install some tungsten fishing weights. Might have to play with how much weight to add to keep operation reliable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So how noticeable was the difference? And did the bigger charging handle help functionality?
I like the bigger charging handle. I hadn't shot any Sub 2000 in a while and went ahead and upgraded it when I learned about McCarbo, so I really can't say.

Did discover that the Sub can be deployed rapidly if carried with a loaded mag and folded with the bolt locked back and the safety in the "Safe" position. I can unfold it with my left hand and then slap the bolt handle with my right hand, and then the safety can be pressed to the "Fire" position if I choose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait a minute here. The add for the charging handle states this:
  • Adds just 2.2 ozs to overall weight of SUB-2000.

The add for the "Heavy Bolt" says: The heavy bolt weighs 14.2oz

This means that the charging handle weighs 2.2 oz more than the standard handle, not 2.2 more ounces than the "Heavy Bolt".. It does not weigh 16.4oz...it adds a total of 2.2 oz to the total weight of the Sub 2000. If I am wrong here please explain to me where I am wrong. I was quite sure that the "Charging Handle" could not weigh 14.4 ounces. The way it seemed you guys were stating it is that adding the Heavy Charging and the Heavy bolt added 28.4 oz. Not true unless I am mistaken.

Not trying to argue here just trying to get info straight in my head. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wait a minute here. The add for the charging handle states this:
  • Adds just 2.2 ozs to overall weight of SUB-2000.
The add for the "Heavy Bolt" says: The heavy bolt weighs 14.2oz

This means that the charging handle weighs 2.2 oz more than the standard handle, not 2.2 more ounces than the "Heavy Bolt".. It does not weigh 16.4oz...it adds a total of 2.2 oz to the total weight of the Sub 2000. If I am wrong here please explain to me where I am wrong. I was quite sure that the "Charging Handle" could not weigh 14.4 ounces. The way it seemed you guys were stating it is that adding the Heavy Charging and the Heavy bolt added 28.4 oz. Not true unless I am mistaken.

Not trying to argue here just trying to get info straight in my head. Am I wrong?
Look back about 3 or 4 posts and that is what I said. Not as you expressed it, but the same thing - heavy bolt adds 1.6 oz and heavy charging handle 2.2 oz.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look back about 3 or 4 posts and that is what I said. Not as you expressed it, but the same thing - heavy bolt adds 1.6 oz and heavy charging handle 2.2 oz.

I got somewhat confused reading the posts.

Post #6 and #7 is where I got confused.

Post #6: I would expect a substantial weight difference between the heavy bolt and the heavy charging handle. However, having neither, I'm definitely speaking out of school.

Here is post #7 I think the heavy charging handle weighs more. Check out the McCarbo website.

Then post#9 reads: I stand corrected... it would appear the "Recoilless charging handle" weights maybe .2 oz more than the heavy bolt. (This seems tome that you are saying that the RCH weighs more than the Heavy Bolt).

I believe what you guys are referring that these items add x ounces of weight to the Sub 2000 not that they weigh more or less than one another. Unless i am still wrong. Sometimes I find it difficult to express what I mean on the internet as opposed to direct conversation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone used the "heavy weight bolt" from Kel-Tec and if so did it reduce felt recoil? reading the information on it , it states it reduces recoil.
the heavy-weight bolt was the very first upgrade to my Sub2k (.40s&w); and it definitely decreased the felt recoil. pair that with the butt stock pad from MCARBO and the felt recoil is very low. add; in addition; the recoil buffer from MCARBO and a muzzle brake, and the MCARBO recoilless charging handle; next to nothing in felt recoil. the weapon used to bruise me on range days before upgrades

Reactions: Steve Saunders
1 - 20 of 23 Posts