Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently upgraded to hard chrome but my first combo had peening issues so i returned it to kel tec. the replacement they sent me had this weird mark just in front of the ejection port on the top of the slide where it looked like bare metal like it had not been finished i called KT they explained to me this was a mark from the heat treat process and if i wasnt satisfied i could exchange it for another. the only problem was the replacement i got had the same exact mark on it so i called again, then they told me that almost every slide has this mark and if they didnt then it wasnt properly treated. long story short it kinda bugs me has anybody else had this issue

·
Registered
34 Posts
While it could be a heat treat mark, I'm wondering if it might be what is known as a rack mark. The hard chrome is deposited on the slide using an electroplating process. Items such as slides are usually mounted on a rack which holds multiple pieces. Rack marks are locations where the rack makes contact with the metal of the slide. The wire from the rack, although passing the current necessary to have the chrome deposit, also acts as a shield where it touches. This sometimes can leave a visible mark. If I'm on the right track, the mark has a dark, faded look compared to the remainder of the slide. It is somewhat displeasing visually, but there is chrome plating around it. Hard chrome plating is very difficult to do without getting at least one or two of these marks. If you could post a picture of the area (including enough of the external surface of the slide for me to see the overall chrome finish), I could tell if it is from the hard chrome plating or is a heat treat mark.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The finish on mine looks a little different just in front of the ejection port on the slide.

I never would have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned yours. Maybe yours is much more obvious.

For three times the money I could have gotten a better finish. I got what I chose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts