Head-to-head test: DPX vs. Ranger-T

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DT_Willy, Jun 3, 2006.

1. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tomorrow I will do my much anticipated (by me at least) wetpack test, a head-to-head match between the vaunted Corbon .380 DPX HP and the LEO Winchester Ranger-T .380 HP. Will prepare the wetpack in the morning, let it soak for 8 hours, and test the two rounds for expansion and penetration in the late afternoon. Any predictions?

2. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    My guess is that the Ranger-T's will hold their own. Ranger-T ammo has been superb in every other test I've seen.

3. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    as much as I like the DPX, it is my new favorite carry round for 380, I have Winchester Ranger LEO in my S&W Sigma .40, and they definitely hold their own.

My $$ would be on the winchester in a head to head.

But I am still not going to change from the DPX.

4. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    My guess? The Ranger-T will penetrate more and the DXP will display more expansion. Oh yeah, and no raccoons will die.

--Plex

5. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Make sure and cover the wetpack with several layers of denim for one of the tests. See if the DPX does what they say...

6. psp7725

psp7725 New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Hmmm, I am issued 40 cal Ranger ammunition and have no faith in it. I carry DPX in both my P3AT and my Kahr P45 and having done jean covered gelletin and 16 guage steel barrier tests with the DPX, I predict it will be the clear winner, There is absolutely no loss in weight retained by the DPX and it expands every time from my guns (which is why you should test what you carry in your guns too).

7. UTRay

UTRay Guest

+1

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    +2

I hope the Ranger does well as that is what I am currently loaded with.

9. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OK, here are the results. As always, I used my 1G P3AT and a wetpack of carefully bundled newsprint (10" dry, which expanded to 12" after 8 hours of soaking). Fired from about 2 yards, which seems like a good SD for this gun. In this case, I fired three rounds of each brand, and measured each bullet for penetration and expansion. I also used the commonly used conversion formula of 3/2 to convert wetpack penetration numbers into estimated penetration in ballistic gelatin:

CORBON DPX HP 80G.
    1. 5.5" penetration; .625" expansion at widest point
    2. 5.7" pen.; .625" exp.
    3. 6.0" pen.; .625" exp.
    Penetration in ballistic gelatin is estimated to be between 8.25" and 9.0."

WINCHESTER RANGER-T SXT HP 95G.
    1. 4.5" pen; .562" exp.
    2. 4.5" pen; .562" exp.
    3. 4.37" pen; .562" exp.
    Penetration in ballistic gelatin is estimated to be between 6.56" and 6.75."

Some of my observations:

--Both rounds expanded uniformly, symetrically, and completely. There were no broken or under-expanded petals. Both bullets were also quite uniform in their penetration depth.

--The "talon" (a hook-like part of the expanded petal) on the Winchester seems like a particularly nasty feature. It ripped out probably an extra 0.5" in the bullet hole, and would certainly do similar damage in human flesh. On the other hand, the talon caused much clogging of the bullet, and may account for the lower penetration numbers compared to the DPX. In a more potent caliber, this is surely a brutal SD round.

--I did not test the bullets in "clothed" wetpack this time; maybe another time. What I have seen in many other "clothed" gelatin tests, is that, paradoxically, there is often greater penetration in clothed medium, so you might guestimate another inch or two in that case.

Conclusions? These are both premium rounds, and would be excellent BUG SD rounds. There are pros and cons to each:

Corbon DPX
    --superior penetration AND expansion.
    --high cost ($20 for 20 rounds).

Winchester Ranger-T
    --"talon" design does a lot of damage
    --less penetration and expansion
    --less expensive ($20 for 50 rounds)
    --designated as "Law Enforcement" ammo. Possible negative legal ramifications if used by a civilian.

I feel comfortable with both rounds in my KT, but I lean a bit more to the Corbon for its better performance. If Winchester could get the Ranger-T to match the DPX in expansion/penetration, I'd be all over it. Those are some nasty talons. Best, DT

10. jocko

jocko Guest

Looks like the dpx beats anything out there.  I would never equate price to whether it is my SD round.  Peformance/reliability is number 1 with me. I have put 40 rounds of dpx through my 380 kt flawlessly and have relied on u guys to do the testing. I wanted reliablilty and I got it, you guys proved to me the performance is there to, so cost is not a factor. I don't feel I have to shoot a 100 or 200 rounds of my SD ammo to feel it is reliable.  I just feel from shooting in my high powered rilfe reloads that the Barnes bullet was an excellent bullet in my rifle and it is proving out to be an excellent bullet in the 380 dpx. Both barnes and corbon IMO are premium companies and their ammo price also shows that to, but according to Mike at corbon, they put alot of exntensive research into the barnes copper bullet and research spells MONEY.  Nice test.

11. jocko

jocko Guest

dt. did you weight the bullets after the tests. corbon/barnes claims 100% bullet weight retention. would be curious to seehow the winchester weighed out. ???

12. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Will try to do that Jocko. Man those talons grab a lot of the medium. I'll probably hook myself like a fish trying to get that newsprint out. Frankly, both brands look pretty much intact. The DPX sure looks like it's completely intact; if the Ranger lost anything, it would be from the lead core.

13. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
  14. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    :-/ Hmmm! I sure would like to hear about some real world bad guy shootings with the DPX bullet. From all the tests I've read about, [scientific and non-scientific], the results have been excellent.

15. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your test, and letting us vicariously shoot with you.

I know you had fun too!

I am surprised at the lesser penetration of the Ranger-T; I'd have bet money it would have penetrated more than the DPX.

Are both of those rounds pushing similar powder loads?

Thanks again,

--Plex

16. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks DT!

Both are very promising rounds.
    DPX for me!

17. UTRay

UTRay Guest

Hmmm... I wouldn't have guessed that result. For now I'll stick with my current carry round, but thanks for the report. Nice work.

18. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    +1 & Thanks DT... Nice job! 8)

I'll probably stick with the Ranger until I find the DPX in person and see if I can avoid having to mail order it. It sure looks hard to beat, though. I think Corbon has a real winner.

19. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    the "talon" does not surprise me, it was the feature of the "black talon" that is no more. These Winchester Rangers are the "black talon", without the coating. Same round, just redone....

but I would have expected more penetration.

So I will stick with the ranger in my sigma, and the corbon in my p3at.

NICE JOB ON THE RESULTS.
    ;D

20. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Good Job, DT! A very thorough and well documented test. DPX rules!

I'm looking forward to your test of the 9mm Win. PP.

Thanks, Packer.