Having trouble re-seating the frame into the grip!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gbm5170, May 19, 2008.

1. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I have removed the frame and reinserted it into the grip many times, but now I just can't seem to get my P-3AT back together.  The hang-up is in the rear and is caused (it seems) by Part # 272 aka Hammer Block.

With the frame out, the hammer block is forced to the rear by the hammer block spring and I am unable to seat the frame.  I tried to force the hammer block forward with a slim piece of metal as I seated the frame.  This worked but the Hammer itself is now locked in the back position and the trigger won't move.

Arrggh!  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Also, are the firing pin springs interchangeable between the P-3AT and P-32? I can't tell if I've lost my P-32 firing pin spring or I've got an extra P-3AT firing pin spring (this is possible as I've got lots of extra parts for my P-3AT).

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Re: Having trouble re-seating the frame into the g

Try doing it with the hammer all the way forward while using a thin piece of metal to hold the hammer block forward. Hammer black forward, hammer forward, press down on rear of frame while quickly pulling the thin piece of metal out. Should work.

3. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006

Should the hammer block be pointing all the way forward upon install or straight up?

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006

It should be pointing forward. I use a small punch and push it forward while pressing the frame down on the punch and grip and then continue pushing down on the frame while pulling the punch out.

The firing pin springs are the same for the P32, P3AT and Pf-9.

5. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008

AHH HAA! Reminds me of my first attempt(s).

I did everything correctly and my trigger still didn't budge! Lemme ask you, did your trigger bar come off while removing the frame from the grip? Mine did and I EVENTUALLY figured out I didn't wind the spring back properly. After resolving that, my trigger did function properly.

good luck

6. Re: Having trouble re-seating the frame into the g

Not sure about the fp springs, as I do not own a P32 or a PF9... but sprinter is right about the assembly sequence.

Report back to us and let us know if you got it all back in place.

7. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007

+1 That will do it for you.

HERE is a link to GoldenLoki's site where he discusses the P3 assembly "trick". He discusses the P32, but the trick is applicable to the P3AT too. I've used a paper clip to push the hammer block forward before. A nail set, or small diameter punch will do too. The idea is to use something skinny but stiff.

8. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

The metal strip that is in some wiper baldes works real nice. ;)

9. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006

Thanks guys! I finally got it. Hammer block forward with metal strip then seating the frame with the hammer forward finally did it!