Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a little scope and I decided to take it out and zero it today. I cleaned the rifle 3 days ago and have not shot it until today. I also bought 2 boxes of 168gr American eagle match to bring my groups in as close as I could today. I set up my paper and put 8 rounds down range with no cycling problems, then it jammed. I dropped the mag and started trying to clear the gun, I grabbed the charging handle and pulled but it refused to move. I took the gun apart and this is what I found! The empty bullet was split by the edge of the ejection chute and will not turn loose! Im calling KT tomorrow and they are taking this thing back to the shop and going over it, thats for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well that's interesting man! I have personally had problems with round deformations and jamming catching on the ejection ramp when too much gas was being applied to the system. I haven't actually seen anything that extreme myself but it could be caused by the same problem. Too much gas forced the round into the ejection ramp which damaged the casing but was able to push it up, slamming it into the ejection shoot with a good amount of force. Then as you tried to rack it you push it on there a bit farther with your force of pulling it back a few times. I have no idea if that is actually the case, but what was your gas setting at?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not putting much back into the system. It cycled the first 8 rounds just fine, then nothing from the trigger. I dropped the mag and after some rough houseing locked the carrier to the rear. I couldnt pull the empty brass out by hand so I pulled the take down pins out and removed the bolt carrier to find that

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have seen that one before on this forum. How do the extractors look? IF it has a broken or deformed extractor, it could have let go of the case and allowed it to turn to meet the chute finger.

Did you set the gas for this different ammo? IF it was overgassed, that case may have been knocked loose from one side of the extractor by the impact and driven sideways up the ramp.

It is just brass, you should be able to put a punch on whats left of the case mouth you can see and tap it back off the chute finger...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not that I can tell, the extractors look good. I really do not believe it was over gassing the system. I have noticed that on light loads I run it with about 4 more turns (toward open) than when I run 175gr hollow points. It was set for the heavier loads when I started, it spat the 168s out fine until that happened. I know I can grab it with pliers and remove the spent case.

To be perfectly honest I have had "random" issues with this rifle since I got it, at first the operator didnt know how it truly worked, It continued to jam "out of the blue" and I chalked it up to being new and needing to wear in. Now then after this Im thinking a couple of weeks with its creator might do it some good. I have read about people getting them back from KT and they run flawlessly. If all else fails and this operator is not able to run this rifle, yall will be the first to have a shot at buying it from me;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shouldnt have said that. What I should have said was that "I got the empty round out and was able to put the gun back together". I called KT and left a voicemail for the RFB genius known as (ANDREW!!). He called me back and walked me through taking the bolt apart and come to find out ronmar was correct (sorry about that). One of the extractors was actually broke off entirely! He told me that the as the extractor wore down and fractured, it is what was causeing my random jams and stupid issues. Today I sent my barrel assembly and bolt to KT. Andrew said that this is not a common failure but it is not the first one they have seen. Hes going to replace both extractors and springs in the bolt and fix the ejection ramp and chute. He said it shouldnt take to long at all. KT really does have excellent customer care! He even said he would replace my quad rail since my brother took it off and through in the back of his truck and scratched it up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Barrel assembly and bolt got back today. I put it all together and took it out for a test run. It ran better than it ever has! I had the gas sys closed and it cycled perfectly through 2 full mags. I really like the rifle and I am really happy how well they straitened it out. I put it up for sale on the trading post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts