Has anyone tried the new Wolf?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgray64, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I tried some with the new bi-metal case. They look almost copper, but I tried a magnet next to them and they were metallic. I loaded the mag with some of the little beauties and also loaded the mag on my HiPoint. I always like to get the best price on ammo that I can, so I practice with cheap stuff. Anyway, I went to the pasture and fired off the P-3AT and it jammed! I regretted that it doesn't have a slide catch to hold the slide open. After getting pinched a couple of times with the slide closing (old "arthur" always strikes at the wrong time) I got the old casing out. It had swelled tightly in the chamber after firing. I had two more mis-haps, and put it in my pocket. I tried the HiPoint and had no problems. I think it has a stronger ejector. I shot a couple of mags with no problems. I won't be trying any more of these bi-metal cartridges in the KelTec.

Dave :-/

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Read your manual.

KelTec says NO to non-standard ammo, including steel cased-aluminum cased and reloads.

Using them can also void your lifetime warrenty.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I haven't tried them but what you described sounds to me like a copper washed steel case. KT doesn't recommend you use anything other than brass cases but I have shot a few some steel cased ammo through mine and nothing ever became of it. Just don't turn it into a habbit and you should be fine.

4. Tired_Elf

Tired_Elf New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I had a gunsmith try to explain why steel case ammo had problems in guns designed for brass. His idea was that the metal became super hot at firing and the casings expanded. No new info there. Then he said that brass came back to it's original diameter and that steel did not. Hence the jamming. I had to replace the extractor in my P3AT after using Wolf and having to extract it with an XACTO knife. Not sure if the info is correct or not but, stick with brass.

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Brass ammo only in my KT's.

Wouldn't even think of anything else.

6. JB

JB Guest

Keep in mind, too, that your P3AT is a fairly large caliber for a handgun of it's size.  That means some pretty tight tolerances.  Add in the fact that it is a locked-breech design rather than a blowback (could any of us stand to fire a blowback .380 the size and weight of a P3AT?)  I'm no gunsmith or engineer, but I wouldn't be surprised if that tightens tolerances even more.  The Hi-Point (to my mind) is a great gun for what it is - I have fired my bro-in-law's Hi-Point .380 and will own at least one of their handguns in some caliber before it is over with - but it isn't nearly as small and is a blowback, which could (in my layman's mind) mean that the tolerances are not as tight.

7. timothius

timothius New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I have put several CCI aluminum cased boxes through my P3AT with no problems. :) I would not use steel cased ammo ever as only the Russians make guns that are engineered for them. They flat wear out the workins. :(

Tim

8. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Nope and I don't plan on trying it either.

Yes kel-tec's warranty is good and the p3at is a good gun but I don't think it is worth it. This is all of course assuming your 3at will cycle this stuff. Stick to brass. :)