Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by UncleLuke, Jun 28, 2010.

1. UncleLuke

UncleLuke New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    New member, new pistol owner. I've followed this site for a couple years before making this purchase.

I bought this pistol back in April and have carried it every day in a kydex pocket AHolster. I thought I would get threw the summer before I would have any trouble but The extractor spring got a vertical hairline crack. When I cleaned it and used a toothpick to try and scrape the extractor it loosely fell out!? Only about ~500 rds threw it. The only thing I can think is that the humid Florida environment, sum moister collected behind the spring (the rust color).

Called keltec and they are sending me a new extractor and recoil spring.

Crappy iPhone pic:

[​IMG]

2. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Not the first time an extractor has come out....

3. I have never seen that problem before. Easy fix.

Are they also sending you a new EXTRACTOR SPRING?

And yeah- I am sure the salty humid conditions don't help.

4. UncleLuke

UncleLuke New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Yes, I worded it wrong. Then I told him tho throw in the recoil spring for good measure.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG...

nope, can't say I recall the leaf spring breaking, but harden metal is more likely to snap than bend. so if there were a corrosion line due to rust a quick break would be expected.

sounds like another good reason to clean the firing pin channel regularly (and wipe down extractor spring)

6. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Sounds like a piece of defective hardened spring steel versus the humid salty climate.

It just looks like it snapped.

I am surprised to see so much of the bluing off though.  I grabbed your picture and stuck it in my picture editor and lightened it up and I was shocked to see it discolored like it is.

Do you wipe it down each day you use it with an oily or silicone cloth?  I would recommend that to keep it protected.

Looking at your holster type and it being kydex, perhaps this is why it has such a  "rubbed" look.
    [​IMG]

7. drmarc

drmarc New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

8. UncleLuke

UncleLuke New Member

Jun 28, 2010

Yes, that is the holster. I love it! I have one for the Glock too and it shows similar wear, just not as much. I figured the Kel Tec just doesn't even compare to the Glock finish, I accepted that. When this is squared away I thing I'm getting it hard chome plated. Other than this problem, this little pistol has been 100% right out of the box with Blazer ball, Russian surp, Gold Dots, and Critical Defense ammo.

Looking back at the crappy cell phone pic, it looks better in person. It was like my greasy fingers smudged up the finish b/c it is not that bad, I just took the picture as is before I cleaned it.

New springs are in the mail, you got to love Kel Tec service!

9. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    You mention Blazer and Russian Milsurp ammo and I am guessing that you are talking about steel cased ammo. Just FYI, there is some indication that Kel Tec recommends against using steel-cased ammo in their pistols. Not sure that would have anything to do with your problem but just thought I would throw that out there.

10. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'm not really surpised that the leaf spring broke on you.  Leaf springs teand to break when they are under stress and have rust, a nick, etc.   It's also an reason why many mfg's replaced them with coil springs if possible.  I had a Hall rifle that used the same type of spring and they tended to break at odd times. The spring would be an item that I'd want to get and keep a spare of.

Best Regards:

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I am.  This is absolutely the first extractor spring I have seen that broke.  Between the P32, P3AT and PF9 that all use that spring, we have some 155,000+ posts with no previous mention of an extractor spring breaking.  My guess is it was somehow defective from the start.  Considering the odds, I think you are pretty safe that it will not reoccur.   :)  

12. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I am.  This is absolutely the first extractor spring I have seen that broke.  Between the P32, P3AT and PF9 that all use that spring, we have some 155,000+ posts with no previous mention of an extractor spring breaking.  My guess is it was somehow defective from the start.  Considering the odds, I think you are pretty safe that it will not reoccur.   :)  
    [/quote]

Hi,

Leaf and "V" springs do tend to break more often than coil springs. It tends to be stress or age related defect though, and it sounds like the current spring is well designed and isn't breaking from stress. You will see more of these extractor leaf springs break with age as they get scratched, corrode, etc., and weaken. None of the 1st gen Keltec P-32's used a leaf spring, as do the P-11's so I have think that the change to the part was more cost driven than performance driven. I still still it's a candidate for a spare part though because of its importance though.

Best Regards: :)

13. UncleLuke

UncleLuke New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I cant wait to get my parts and I'll post an update with a range report!

14. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    depending on what part of FL you're in, you could just drive right up to KT and have them fix it for ya! It's less of a wait. If you walk in, they take care of you lickety split, while all these other KTOG suckers have to wait in line! ;)