Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bringing my Sub every range trip since I got it about a month ago. I love shooting this thing but I'm kinda worried about wear. It's not like I put thousands of rounds a week through it but I don't baby it either. Has anyone actually "shot one out"? I'm asking because they're hard to find and I might keep my eyes peeled for another as an eventual backup. Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You have a life time warranty, who wants to wait for it to go to the factory for repair? If its a shtf rifle there is no warranty. If hi point can make a USA made rifle for $300. So should kel Tec . Over priced plastic !!!

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
You have a life time warranty, who wants to wait for it to go to the factory for repair? If its a shtf rifle there is no warranty. If hi point can make a USA made rifle for $300. So should kel Tec . Over priced plastic !!!
Or Colt, or Remington, or any other number of gun makers I can think of. What's a Beretta CX4 going for, $800? What's your point?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that HiPoint made a folding carbine that uses double stack 30+ round mags. When they make one like that for $300 I'll be first in line.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Point is consumers get caught up in the Inspector Gadget type rifles and spend their money foolishly on a product that's not worth half of what they're selling it for.Berrata are also overpriced but they make an outstanding product. If you have the money and that's what you want to do that's fine, don't expect it to be a s*** hit the fan rifle or not expect for it to break down when you put thousands of rounds through it, they're not designed for that. They are designed for the little kid in you. when I went out and bought my Smith and Wesson ar15 sport I did not expect it to perform like a Daniel Defense but I also did not pay as much as a Daniel Defense.

I was at the range with a buddy of mine who paid $650 for a sub 2000 the temperature was around 25 degrees. He had loaded his car the night before with his rifles and pistols. when he unfolded his sub the hinge cracked in half .

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Point is consumers get caught up in the Inspector Gadget type rifles and spend their money foolishly on a product that's not worth half of what they're selling it .....................yadda yadda yadda............................................................yadda yadda yadda.........................................................yadda yadda yadda.........................................................................I was at the range with a buddy of mine who paid $650 for a sub 2000 the temperature was around 25 degrees. He had loaded his car the night before with his rifles and pistols. when he unfolded his sub the hinge cracked in half .
$650 for a Sub? 25 degrees and he leaves his firearms stored in his car? You sure can pick your buddies, Buddy. :) I've never paid over $400 for any new Sub and I choose to live where it only gets cold enough to have to wear long sleeves. :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
I paid $365 for my Gen two. The sub2000 is a nitch gun. I doubt very much it will make the 5000 round mark without issue. I know it will not put all the rounds into one hole at 100 yards. What it is is a compact folded carbine that will go unnoticed riding quietly in a back pack, computer bag whatever. If a folded carbine that goes from stowed to deployed ready to fire in a few seconds has no use for you cool last time I checked there is no requirement you buy one. As to abusing one treating it like it's as robust as a Sten or a Thompson........not much to say. Choose your tools and use the right one for the task at hand.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The little kid in you..............

I resemble that remark lol :)

Joking aside I've never considered the Sub2k to be a workhorse firearm. Its a handy just in case type of firearm as already stated thats fun every now and then to take out to the range for a bit of fun. When I'll need for a serious situation its there waiting and ready.

Each to his or her own. I'd never buy something like an M&P sport AR15 and consider it a workhorse either. Another great firearm to have on hand as well for those shtf moments, hand off to a friend etc..... and beats having nothing as the alternative. If I were going downrange in a combat enviroment I agree I'd opt for the Daniel Defense too if given a choice.

My sub2k is just another tool that can allow me to get back to some of my more potent stuff if the world fell apart and I happen to be away from the homestead. The real shtf firearm is my AR15 with the FN machinegun steel barrel. That gun was purpose built to be a workhorse. Plus if things were to ever get that bad I'd feel better hunkerd down with a 5.56 chambered carbine instead of a 9mm one.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
The sub2000 is a nitch gun. I doubt very much it will make the 5000 round mark without issue.
I have a 9mm Gen 1 SUB-2000 that I bought new on July 15th, 2006. It has well over 10,000 rounds with nothing but a simple cleaning every now and then. I also have a 40 Gen 1 that I bought used on January 10th of 2008 and a 9mm Gen 2 that I bought last summer. The latter two have much fewer rounds, but I never did anything but clean them either.

Maybe the SUB-2000 doesn't have the tank-like reliability of an AK-47, but they're great little folding carbines, and all of mine have been 100% reliable. I shoot my own reloaded ammo in them and that makes them very cheap to shoot. Some of you guys have been around long enough to remember me bringing a 50 caliber ammo can full of my 9mm reloads to a KTOG Konvention back when we had them at Knob Creek Range in Kentucky and putting the open ammo can on the table next to the unfolded subbie. No ammo came home that day, although I think we did need to squirt some RemOil on the bolt of the subbie every few hundred rounds north of 500.

My subbies take a licking and keep on ticking.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have a 9mm Gen 1 SUB-2000 that I bought new on July 15th, 2006. It has well over 10,000 rounds with nothing but a simple cleaning every now and then.

My subbies take a licking and keep on ticking.
Good to hear. Mine is fired enough to maintain familiarity. It does however leave the house more than any of my other long guns that get shot much much more. It is the only gun I have given a name to, Justin.......... Justin Case.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
The SUB-2000 is a great little Justin Case gun.

CONFESSION: I placed an order for some stuff at Kel-Tec on Friday, and while I was shopping on their online store I bought some SUB-2000 repair parts - firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin pin, extractor, extractor spring, extractor pin. Why buy repair parts if my subbies have been 100% reliable? Justin Case.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When you consider the fact that the vast majority of these guns will never see 1000 rounds, it becomes necessary to assess what your needs are. The fact that Liberty Forever has 10K rounds thru one proves they can take it. You're never going to wear out the barrel in a gun shooting pistol ammo. The bolt runs in a steel tube so that's going nowhere. So what if small parts give up from time to time. Have a few spares fix it and be done with it.

Considering that you can keep this gun in a case that is the size of a Laptop and keep it in your car, the likelihood of you actually having it with you when you needed it is higher than a AK or AR or whatever long gun that doesn't fold in half.

People tend to think that guns are just guns. They don't realize that first and foremost they are tools. And just like any other tool, they have specific uses. Some have more than one use, and some barely have one use. But given the right time and place, having that gun ,that is ideally suited for the task at hand, will mean survival. Which is what most of them are made for in the first place.

I have Three big tool boxes of tools, not to mention a whole machine shop. I need all of them as they all serve a purpose. I own a few sockets that have never been used, but most everything else has been used at one time or another . They all have different uses.

No one gun is suited for every usage. If there was one they'd sell the hell out of it as there would be no need for anything else and everyone would want one.,,, Until someone came up with the improved version of the "One Gun." In which case,,, we'd all have two.

I am building a NAA Pug out of my NAA Mini Master by cutting the barrel off to 1" and installing a new Front Sight. I live in CA and can't buy one or I'd already have it.

That gun was originally purchased to go hiking in local areas with me and my wife. We have Bears and Cougars and a .22 revolver was not exactly the best choice but considering the odds of seeing one of those animals and needing the gun was slim, it was light and very easy to carry and I did for the few times we actually went hiking. I hadn't shot it for 10 years.

Now it will get a laser grip and a Sticky Holster and be carried frequently in my front pocket, and probably be in the car always. So that gun will now have a solid purpose, which is more than it had before. Mind you I will probably never even shoot an entire box of .22 mags thru it, but I am more likely to have it with me if I get cornered. (which probably ain't gonna happen either.)

Point being It is doubtful I'll ever wear out any gun I own. And the more guns I own the less each individual one gets shot.

So wearing out guns is not a concern for me. If it is for you,,, You need more guns !!!

Randy

·
Registered
574 Posts
Very well articulate WRBuchanan. I bought all of my guns to fill a particular niche. Some, I shoot regularly, and some I rarely shoot. But if the situation arises that I need that particular "tool", I have it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Every time I see the title of this particular thread I think to myself geez I wish I was uber rich and could afford to expend the amount of ammo it would require to actually shoot the barrel out of one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I tried to wear one out when I was still in my twenties . I lost about 20 pounds but no matter how hard I tried I ----- oh wait ----- never mind carry on. :confused: ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.