Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
View attachment 51676

Friend of mine won a DoubleTap in .45 ACP in a raffle. While .45 isn't rough out of most guns, it was an absolute nightmare out of this abomination of aluminum. Two rounds is all I could suffer. The bottom-most knuckle on my thumb hurts just looking at that picture.
I just looked up the DoubleTap in .45 acp because it looks like a very painful pistol to fire in .45 acp or even 9mm. Holy cow! Are they seriously wanting $500 for those things?!?!?!?! I wonder what the street price of those things are? I believe I can find far better SD firearms for far less money than $500.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
2.75" 500 SW -it was...difficult, though I did get through 15 rounds accurately, my darn hands were a bit sore afterwords
I draw the line at .44 mag with a 5" barrel. I had my Ruger Super Blackhawk' barrel cut to 5", remounted the front sight, and changed the grip frame to a standard Blackhawk grip frame. It became one of my favorite holster guns. I can load it with my standard "everyday" load with 7.5 gr Bullseye with 245 gr Keith swc at 1000 fps or my old hunting load of XX.X gr 2400 with 240 gr Hornady hp ( yeah, I know this is well beyond todays max load - I don't load'em near this hot anymore ).

edit - I removed the numbers of my "hot" load. I shot a thousand rounds of this load at least but I don't recommend it to others nowadays. You can see it in Speer Number 8 manual if interested.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I draw the line at .44 mag with a 5" barrel. I had my Ruger Super Blackhawk' barrel cut to 5", remounted the front sight, and changed the grip frame to a standard Blackhawk grip frame. It became one of my favorite holster guns. I can load it with my standard "everyday" load with 7.5 gr Bullseye with 245 gr Keith swc at 1000 fps or my old hunting load of XX.X gr 2400 with 240 gr Hornady hp ( yeah, I know this is well beyond todays max load - I don't load'em near this hot anymore ).

edit - I removed the numbers of my "hot" load. I shot a thousand rounds of this load at least but I don't recommend it to others nowadays. You can see it in Speer Number 8 manual if interested.
Elmer Keith had some loads he loved for sure!

Sounds like a real buster of a load for sure

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back in 1972 my Pop Pop brought a really beautiful Parker SxS 12 gauge up to our house. We went outside, he put 2 rounds in it, and handed it to me. I was 8 years old. I messed up and pulled both triggers....and ended up on my ass. I did not shoot that gun again until I was 16. In the mid 80's I bought a Marlin .444 from a co worker. It did not have a recoil pad on it. That thing kicked like a stud mule. I traded it and $200 for a Mini 14 in 1989. I still have the Parker but was happy to get rid of the .444.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whats the most severe recoiling gun you've ever fired? For me the answer is easy. I've can shoot 30-06 bolt guns all day. The 7mm mag recoil is sharper and "quicker" than the 30-06. 10 ga 3.5 inch magnums give a big shove. My black powder .58 rifles - a massive Hopkins @ Allen underhammer and a light handy [email protected] Huntsman using 500 gr minies - a big "slow" push. Hands down the most severe recoil I've ever experienced comes from my Ruger #3 .45-70. The recoil from this very lightweight carbine, with modern full power handloads fired from a kneeling position, will consistantly knock me backwards on my butt. You DO NOT insert your fingers into the action lever to fire. You must wrap your fingers around the outside of the lever or the recoil will just about break those fingers. I generally load a 400 gr cast bullet to no faster the 1800 fps maximum to be able to fire any real quantity of ammo and it is still very, very punishing. That being said, that 400 gr load will put 3 shots into 1 ragged hole at 80 yards. And no, I do not have a recoil pad on it because I so seldom shoot it.

Ken waters in his "Pet Loads" book used a #3 and described the recoil as absolutely brutal. Here is a quote from a shooter from Ruger Forum,"The man who designed the Ruger #3 in 45/70 Govt. should be beaten to within an inch of his life, and then kicked in the face. The Ruger #3 in 45/70 the most miserable rifle to shoot of any rifle I've ever owned. Even with standard 45/70 loads it will jump up and bust you right in the cheek while crushing your knuckles at the same time. I'm not sure what it does to the shoulder, the other beatings were too distracting. I've owned and shot, extensively, several 375 H&H Magnums and 416 Remingtons. My elk and similar sized game rifle is a 340 Weatherby throwing 250 grain bullets at 2800 fps. These rifle kick, but they don't hold a candle to the brutality inflicted by the rotten, ill conceived, poorly designed piece of junk called the Ruger #3 in 45/70."

I don't share THAT level of extremism about the recoil. I love that powerful little carbine. I load it down some to tolerate it and admire its handiness and accuracy. However it IS the hardest kicking firearm with standard Level 3 - for Ruger #1, #3, and bolt guns - that I've ever shot. Level 1 loads - for Trapdoor Springfields - or Level 2 loads for Win 1886 guns make it more tolerable.

Whats the hardest kicking firearm you've ever fired?
My interarms Mark X Bolt action .458 Magnum 500 gr heavy reload. had to let cool after firing to eject spent cartridge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Father-in-law had a Ruger #3 in 45-70. Loaded with 500 grain cast bullets following a recipe he read in a magazine. I shot three over a chronograph to check them and said enough. 2000 FPS and enough recoil I could not hold onto the forend. Had to catch the gun in recoil. Steel buttplate left a h*** of a bruise on my t-shirted shoulder. Had a heck of a time convincing my finger to pull the trigger the third time. I pulled every bullet he had loaded. I inherited that gun and haven’t shot it since.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Father-in-law had a Ruger #3 in 45-70. Loaded with 500 grain cast bullets following a recipe he read in a magazine. I shot three over a chronograph to check them and said enough. 2000 FPS and enough recoil I could not hold onto the forend. Had to catch the gun in recoil. Steel buttplate left a h*** of a bruise on my t-shirted shoulder. Had a heck of a time convincing my finger to pull the trigger the third time. I pulled every bullet he had loaded. I inherited that gun and haven’t shot it since.
That reflects my experience as well. The most I can tolerate, and I am not a bit recoil sensitive, is a cast 400 gr at 1800 fps and even that is brutal in the #3. With full level 3 loads, the fore end is ripped from your off hand, your fingers are mashed against the action lever, and the steel buttplate will slam your shoulder so hard that it will knock you a step back or on your butt if kneeling. I problably should only shoot it with Level 1 ( Trapdoor Springfield ) loads. Mike Venturino has stated several times that a 400 gr cast .45-70 bullet at 1400 fps will shoot completely through a 2000 lb bison bull from just about any angle and anything more just leaves a bigger divot in the ground on the other side of the animal. He has hunted bison with a .45-70, I have not, so I'll take his word for it. The little carbine can be incredibly accurate so I'll probably experiment with those Level 1 loads and maybe install a recoil pad over that punishing steel buttplate. Wish me luck! ;)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts