Hard To Rack

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Howsweet-it-iz, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Howsweet-it-iz

Howsweet-it-iz New Member

May 26, 2010
    I just bought a P3-AT. I found it very difficult to rack the slide. In fact, when the slide slipped out of my hand, it caused an accidental discharge. Are there different springs available or does it loosen up after firing? I am not pleased with this condition and will sell the gun if this condition cannot be changed.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the springs supplied are the minimun required for it to handle the recoil.

How did you have a Negilgent discharge? releasing the slide so that it slams as quicky as possible is the recomnded method to load the first round.

the rounds loaded following firing will have the slide even faster

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    AD ? Unless the firing pin was stuck this sounds like a ND. Keep finger off trigger while racking slide.
    As far as how hard it is to rack, it gets easier with use. Racking the slide is not about strength.
    It is all about technique.

http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I gotta agree..no accident there.

you are not able to change the springs or operation, so by your own definition, you need to sell it.

good luck.

5. Howsweet-it-iz

Howsweet-it-iz New Member

May 26, 2010
    Thanks guys for the advice. Sounds as if I need to change my technique rather than change horses.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the other thing that would help a lot is clean and lube (grease on hammer face)

7. jaydubs

jaydubs New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I had a similar problem (very hard to rack) when I picked up my p3at. Oiling didn't do much, turned out it had rusted up a bit. Admittedly, it was an old and mistreated piece I got in an auction. If yours is used you should double check the slide and rails for rust or other issues.

8. Danman28

Danman28 New Member

Oct 2, 2010
    what can i do to get the slide to be smoother?

9. phair12

phair12 New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    polish it. I use a dremel but know you must be careful not to remove the finish.

10. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    You can also sit in front of your TV and rack the slide a couple hundred times. That ought to polish the rails up a bit.

I recently bought a G17 with an incredibly bad trigger, much worse than my wife's G26, so I started a daily dry firing routine (with snapcap) and it has really helped. The trigger is now almost as good as the wife's after only 3 weeks of this. A little break in never hurts.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    The best thing you can do is shoot about 250 rounds through it to break it in.
    And use grease on the slide rails.

I can rack mine one-handed now in a pinch.

And I agree the gun didn't AD when you racked the slide.
    You pulled the trigger!

Keep your bugger-hook off the bang switch at all times, unless you want it to go off.

rc

12. jonnin

jonnin Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    On a light trigger gun, its very easy to rack/shoot by mistake.  The slide bangs the gun forward, sort of the opposite of recoil, and if your finger is on the trigger, guess what happens (been there, done that..), if your grip is not very very solid it will go off.  I dunno about the AT, but that *seems* less likely as the trigger is not that light.  Still, its also easy to squeeze it while trying to grip it.  

If you are in any doubt, rack the slide with it pointed down range on live ammo, with your finger away from the trigger.  Convince yourself that the gun does not fire from slide release, or, if it does, get it serviced (no matter that you should be safe when racking the slide, if it fires due to a slide rack it is a malfunction, and can lead to full automatic fire, or doubles, or other such problems, not to mention rack-shoot by mistake wastes ammo and can be dangerous if you let down your guard).  

I just do not see how a DAO gun can fire this way, however. It is a posible issue on a gun where the hammer is supposed to stay back after slide rack, if the hammer slips (malfunction) it can happen. But a DAO gun, the slide would have to hit hard enough to cause inertia to slam the firing pin into the ammo primer or something odd (and nearly impossible).

13. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    If you think the P3AT is tough to rack try a Taurus PT22. My KT was a dream compared to this. I have to wear my golf glove for the grip pressure to rack it. Fortunately it has a tip up barrel for loading and I only rack it after cleaning to make sure the slide is in properly. But, with the finger off the trigger try the push/pull method to rack it. Push the frame with the right hand and pull the slide back with the left. ( providing you are right handed ).

It is my understanding all mouse guns can be difficult to rack.

Dave

14. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 New Member

May 31, 2010
    You can also sit in front of your TV and rack the slide a couple hundred times.  That ought to polish the rails up a bit.

I recently bought a G17 with an incredibly bad trigger, much worse than my wife's G26, so I started a daily dry firing routine (with snapcap) and it has really helped.  The trigger is now almost as good as the wife's after only 3 weeks of this.  A little break in never hurts.[/quote]

yeah and make sure it's unloaded ;D

15. bowtieracin

bowtieracin New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    We were looking to get one for my wife and she had some trouble with it as well then we went with a pf9 ahe loves it still alittle hard for her but then you are not doing it alot.

16. arizona-hermit

arizona-hermit New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    You can also sit in front of your TV and rack the slide a couple hundred times.  That ought to polish the rails up a bit.

I recently bought a G17 with an incredibly bad trigger, much worse than my wife's G26, so I started a daily dry firing routine (with snapcap) and it has really helped.  The trigger is now almost as good as the wife's after only 3 weeks of this.  A little break in never hurts.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with the old "rack the slide til it glides" methodology. I prefer doing what comes natural to weapons to get the 'broken in' and not going immediately to electrical appliances (dremels, grinders, band saws, etc) to speed up the process and possibly ruin the weapon completely.

17. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I personally did a fluff n buff and then racked the gun about 500 times and now the slide feels great.

18. droshi

droshi New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Is the fluff n buff polishing with a wire brush on a dremel? Forgive my ignorance...

For harder to rack slides, I find that different technique can help. As mentioned in the link above, using the offhand to stabilize the slide, and the strong hand to push works pretty well. If all else fails, a forearm squeeze thing to build some muscle helps with gun control in a lot of areas.

19. droshi

droshi New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Haha! Just realized...

Maybe gun control politics are all about building the forearms...Popeye could be their lead spokesman.

20. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    that takes too long
    [​IMG]