Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else's gas adjustment knob pretty hard to turn? I frequently have to stick an allen key in the holes to turn it. I tried oiling the pin and it seems to press in easy but it just does not move smoothly over the detents.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Is anyone else's gas adjustment knob pretty hard to turn? I frequently have to stick an allen key in the holes to turn it. I tried oiling the pin and it seems to press in easy but it just does not move smoothly over the detents.
Very common problem. If you force it, the detent pin will likely bend or break.
https://www.thektog.org/threads/faulty-gas-detent-pin-please-advise.253174/
KT was mostly concerned about the knob moving when the guns shoots so they made the divots in the knob very deep.
Best to push the detent pin down slightly with your thumbnail when turning the knob.
Shouldn't have to adjust it much anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Blake. The detents in the knob are very deep and the pin mounted at a bad angle. Push the pin in with a small screw driver, your nail, or ??? to allow you to turn it properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a dremel to lightly round the overly sharp corners of the gas cap so the pin could move from slot-to-slot. I can now adjust it by hand. It's stiff, but doesn't require a tool and doesn't rotate on its own. Before breaking the edges I either had to hold down the pin or risk breaking it if just forcing it to rotate with a bullet tip as described in the manual.

I want to be able to adjust the gas system quickly without tools should I change loads or if the gas system becomes fouled and needs adjustment. With my new gun I've found it very sensitive thus far.

Now that I've tested it, I will use a dremel and buff wheel with some compound to polish the lobes so it is less gritty when turning. KT really made these detents deep with severe angles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep, I sanded mine a lot to smooth the dents and it’s hand adjustable now. I re-blued it afterward. It’s quite hard metal so it takes a lot of sanding. CHuck it into a drill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.