Hard Coat Qs

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by roland45, May 16, 2008.

1. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Hello Everyone,
    Newbie here with a question about the P3AT hard coat.
    I have a number of other pistols and rifles and a like, but I just bought a new P3AT for Carry.
    The local dealer up the street had 2 P3ATs, 1 that was blue black and one that was a silverish finish
    and black. I saw a pistol just like it on gun broker that was claiming to be a 3rd gen with hard coat.
    I havent seen any threads that in this board to ditingguish the diferent finishes,(that I could find)
    so the question is, if a p3at has a silver top end does that make it hard coated?
    thanks to all who can help,
    sincerly, Roland

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well, there is no such thing as a 3rd Gen P3AT. But the finish you are likely looking at is called Hard Chrome. It's done for KT by apwcogan.com last I heard. It's for corrosion protection and not appearance, though it does make the appearance nice!

There are also quite a few aftermarket options that are popular on the board here too. One of them is from www.ktaddons.com, another from Jack Fusselier (web not by memory for me) and a lot of do it yourself options.

-Scott

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  4. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Scott,
    thanks for the quick reply,
    I kinda figured that there was not a 3rd gen p3at, after reading some of this board.
    But here is what is listed on the GnBrker web page when you search for p3at in semi auto pistols.

"Keltec P3AT Hard Chrome! .380ACP! 3rd Gen!"

Description for Item # 99850879

You are bidding on an unfired Keltec P3AT Pistol in Hard Chrome! These are some of the most sought after .380's made! The Hard Chrome finish makes these little pistols even more corrosion resistant. A necessity for a carry gun! This gun is the most up to date 3rd generation P3AT and is unfired, like new in box!
    I own two of these guns and they are very reliable pistols! Don't miss this great deal!

The auction will be running for the next 21 hours or so.
    It looks to me like the guy / FFL dealer is trying to pee down some ones back and tell em its rain.
    IMHO
    Thanks again for the Info, Scott.
    Roland

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Here is the reply I just received when I questioned that seller about his 3rd gen???

-Scott

6. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I sent him a note too. Said he'd check into it and get the correct info next time.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I also wonder how "new" it is given that it is in a white box...  

The scarry thing - in mere days or weeks there IS/WILL BE a third generation:
    A huge +1 from me on everything he said. [/quote]

SHHHH!!
    Don't tell Ruger, but this improvement is just starting to ship. :)
    no more snapping off the hammer-block for P-32, P-3AT, and PF-9's
    From now on, only Ruger LCP's will be snapping off the hammer block (until Ruger purchases a new P-3AT that is). :p

PS I looked at trying to do second strike, but it would not be easilly done without redesigning the whole trigger system. Getting rid of the "snapping off the hammer block" was possible and if you do happen to short stroke the trigger, it will lock up "tighter then a bulls patootie". ;D and then you can continue shooting, without having to rack the slide.[/quote]

-Scott