Hard Chrome

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by riverfish, Oct 30, 2009.

1. riverfish

riverfish New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I currently have a P3AT and I love the little bugger, I am considering the purchase of a "Hard Chrome" model to help with rust issues. Any input would be helpful. I have found one new for $260 and I believe that to be a good price.

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Hard chrome will be best for rust prevention, but it won't be totally free from all possible rust. Still keep it as clean and moisture free as possible.

$260 for a new HC is a very good price - especially these days!

Bobo

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
  4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    This is absolutely right hard chrome, and nickle plating greatly reduce the need to oil to prevent rust, but do not eliminate it. I've seen plated guns left alone rust when exposed to moisture for long periods without oiling occasionally.

Good Luck!

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes, that is a good price.

If I didn't already have two (one is a HC/Gray) I would snag it. Use the one you've aready got for mostly practice and the HC for mostly carry. That's what I do with my two P3ATs.

Take care...

6. riverfish

riverfish New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Has anyone tried to polish the hard chrome???

7. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    That is a great price for an HC P3AT. I paid over $300 for mine last October before the election frenzy hit. I've been carrying mine daily, usually in my rear pocket with a Desantis Nemesis holster, and bought the HC for this reason. I think it would take a lot to make this HC finish rust. I read a test I think here a while back where a HC slide was submerged for a week or more in water and it didn't rust one bit.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If you found a NIB, HC P3AT for $260, go there and buy it now. Most are closer to $300 these days.

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    What they said! My HC P3AT was almost 300, and that was 2 years ago.

I'd buy another HC one at the price, and I have two 3ATs!