Hard Chrome vs. Blued vs. Parkerized

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BobbiRS, Apr 13, 2009.

1. BobbiRS

BobbiRS New Member

May 3, 2008
    Guys, for some reason, the search function isn't working for me. I have a simple question: will the hard chrome slide corrode without oil?

I have an RIA 3.5 1911 in parkerized (lightly oiled slide), and a S&W GI 1911 in stainless steel (very lightly oiled slide). I would prefer to not oil the slide on this one, since it'll be in my pocket, but will if it needs doing. What about the blued slide? Thanks!

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    While the HC is more corrosion resistant than blue'd it still ought to have some preservation lubrication on it.  But even more important than that, the P3AT runs best (and in some cases at all) with heavy lube and grease.  Some of it is bound to come out in the warmth of your pocket.  

This should not be a problem at all assuming the weapon is in a decent pocket holster (which it should be in order to be safe.)  Any lube that might come out will get inside the pocket holster and also serve to keep the outside of the slide corrosion protected.

-Scott

3. BobbiRS

BobbiRS New Member

May 3, 2008
    Scott,

Thanks for that info--that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll see if Search works for me in a bit and read up on heavy lubing. I'm planning on throwing it in a Nemesis or something comparable, and I think you're right that the lube shouldn't be too big a problem. Now...to find a p3at in stock lol!

Bobbi