Hard Chrome Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jnorthway, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jnorthway

jnorthway New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hello All,

Well I've decided to take the plunge on a P3AT. My local dealer has Blued, Parked and Hard Chrome models in stock. I'm leaning towards the hard chrome for durability (and I like the way it looks). :p

After review of some posts here, it seems that the hard chrome version might make it harder for me to complete the recommended "fluff and buff" procedure. Of course, reliability is more important than looks.

Am I incorrect? Any help would be appreciated.

While we're at it, any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    There is really no issue with a F&B on hard chrome. Mine have been done. The only chrome parts you might be smoothing are the hammer interface, slide rails and feed ramp... no big deal.

3. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    +1 The chrome finish is pretty slick and the hammer slide and feed ramp may be all that you'd want to do.

4. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    . . . . . and it looks good too!

Wilson – who’s always happy to see folks go for the very best [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

5. jdeere_man

jdeere_man New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I got the hard chrome for every reason except the way it looks. I guess in an autoloader I just prefer black/blued finishes. However it did work flawlessly right out of the box and won't rust which is why I picked it and that's what's important.

6. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I bought the parked version cause of reports of the blued version rusting quickly if not slathered in gunoil. I would have considered the HC version if I wanted some 'bling' to hang over the fireplace mantel or wanted a Sunday BBQ gun. Mine is for concealed carry and that means stealth. HC and stealth are, in my mind, mutually exclusive.

I'll buy a chrome P3-AT when the government chromes the B1 Stealth bomber.

7. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    The difference between the stealth bomber and a gun is we usually wear clothing over the gun...

HC isn't about bling as it isn't that pretty. It is tough is the reason I prefer it, and my P3AT is parked.

8. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think stealth is an issue with a HC finish. First, the factory HC finish is a matte finish. Second, concealed carry means it is hidden from view and most likely in a holster which will hide the finish anyway. Plus, IF I ever have to draw in self defense, I want the BG to see my muzzle and realize that he's about to meet his maker if he doesn't stop what ever he is doing that causes me to feel threatened.

9. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Indeed. Doesn't matter if it's hot pink if it's concealed properly.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There are MANY times each day that my weapon is moved around out of the holster. It might be going into a place that does not allow weapons so I have to secure it in the vehicle or it might just be standing next to the vehicle taking it out of my pocket and putting it somewhere more accesible in the vehicle, or... During those movement times something less likely to catch the light, be bright or whatever you want to call it can make the difference between being noticed or not.

If you put the weapon in your holster when you wake up in the morning and take it out when you go to bed at night and NOWHERE in between your comment makes sense. For me that is not possible in my daily routine.

I don't answer the question as to whether I am carrying a firearm (unless required to do so by law) but I also don't really make any real effort to hide it when I am in and out of the car so having a black weapon helps a bit with that.

Each of us has our own needs and that is why they make so many different styles!

-Scott

11. jnorthway

jnorthway New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses.

I got my new P3AT yesterday. I did the fluff and buff on it last night. She cleaned up real nice!
    Nice little piece. I hope to get to the range tomorrow and give her a workout.

The mag well\catch really needed some work. There was a lot of extra flashing that had to come off both the body and the mag's baseplate to allow the Mag to lock in properly.

I had sent Two Pistol Packer an IM regarding his metal Mag catch but I haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, the reason I opted for Hard Chrome was mostly durability. I do like the way it looks though!
    I figured it would withstand the abuse of being in a pocket better than the other finishes. I could be wrong, as this is my first experience with a hard chrome fininsh. Time will tell.

I am not really worried about stealth. I live in a CCW state so it's completely hidden anyway. I understand transfer can also be a time when you want stealth too, but for ME it's not a big issue. As stated above, everyone does what's best for them.

FOR ME - If\when this weapon ever does have to be brought to bear, I figure the load noises and muzzle flash will overshadow the Hard Chrome as a giveaway that I have a weapon! ;) ;)

I haven't quite figured out how I'll be carrying this pistol yet.
    I did purchase the belt clip for now.
    Suggestions (and pix) welcome.

Thanks again to everyone here for the responses so far...great site!

Jon

12. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Jon,
    If you have gmail, you might want to check your spam folder--for some reason Two Pistol Packer's emails to me went there (and he seemed to mention this was a common occurence). I like the hard-chrome, but I'm a black-pistol guy...I like to think that in the dark, it'll give me 3 nanoseconds longer to get on target before the bad guy realizes it's not a wallet with $8 in it, but a P3AT with $8 worth of DPX/Federal American Eagle in it.
    --jOE

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    CONGRATS - and:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Before deciding on carrying with the clip alone please see the many, many, many threads on this in the P3AT, the P32, the Accessories and the PF9 areas. This has been beaten to death many times over but it is one of my soapbox issues as many (including me) believe it is unsafe to carry with the clip alone if you keep the weapon loaded. Many others feel differently so read and make up your own mind.

You will also find a large number of suggestions of holsters, pictures, etc. Your first step will probably be a Concealment Concepts or a Desantis Nemesis as you can get those cheap and fast, and then you can decide what to do next. Or more accurately spend the time deciding that you actually DO want a K&D pocket holster in one of his variations and then the time waiting to actually get it.

-Scott

14. jnorthway

jnorthway New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I agree with the your stance on the clip and I understand the safety issues.
    I got the clip because it was inexpensive and I might have use for it in certain situations.

The P3AT is not my main carry gun at this time.
    I bought it mainly as a summer carry weapon.
    I'll probably go right to a K&D combo holster as some on the boards say that the Nemesis is a bit bulky, and that has been my experience with some of their other holsters of that style.

I'm really hoping to hear from Two Pistol Packer. I did check my Spam folder and nothing there. I don't use Gmail. It's possible he's away. I'm sure I'll hear soon.

I ordered 2 extra mags and some 1 round extensions from Kel-tec too.

So as always, that "bargain gun" is starting to cost a bit more every day.... ::)

Jon