Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm interested in getting one. I was hoping the PF-9 was closer to the P3AT's size but since its not I'll just settle for the 380. My main concern is I hear the finish wears off? If I got this it'd be a daily carry weapon, so even if it wears off slowly is a concern for me. I carried my Walther PP knockoff (hungarian AP 380 imported by interarms) and Glock 26 for some time with no finish wear at all.. so my main question is, if I'm getting a P3AT for daily carry, do I NEED to get the hard chrome version (or some kind of decent refinish) if I don't want want the finish rubbing off and the slide rusting?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Yes, if you can find one and if you can afford the escalated price. (Because they have been rare lately.) An alternative is to buy a blue one, break it in, and send the slide to Jack Fuselier for a $25 nickel plate job.

http://gunsmith.fuselier.com/

I don't recommend the Parkerized model, as KT also parks the INSIDE of the barrel, and the P3AT does not need to lose any bullet velocity!

Packer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll wait until a local gun show pops up and see if maybe I can find one there. The parking is gray and the hard chrome is more a light silver, right? Online I see a few hard chrome pistols but all said and done it'd be just over 300.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Basically, if the barrel is not shiny, it is parked. $300 is about what they have been going for, and that is well below MSRP. If you can get it for $300 including shipping and FFL fees, that would not be a bad deal these days.

Packer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Basically, if the barrel is not shiny, it is parked. $300 is about what they have been going for, and that is well below MSRP. If you can get it for $300 including shipping and FFL fees, that would not be a bad deal these days.

Packer.
They've gone up in price? I thought the MSRP used to be like 225?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
From Kel-Tec.com:

RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICES

Blued Finish  $ 300.00  
Parkerized Finish  $ 340.00     
Hard Chrome Finish  $ 355.00    

Visit our downloads section to download the instruction manual for the P3AT Pistol

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I would not be afraid of the blued finish. Apparently, it is new and improved. I do prefer the hard chrome though.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:

I don't recommend the Parkerized model, as KT also parks the INSIDE of the barrel, and the P3AT does not need to lose any bullet velocity!

Packer.

KT returned mine with a new slide, ( warranty )
It's a lot nicer finish than the one I sent in.
I chose parkerized for durabillity and I would
assume the parkerizing in the barrel would be gone
after shooting 100 rounds or so ???

Am I wrong about this Packer ?
If not 100 rounds, how many?
If so, how much velocity are we talking ?

Rob

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  After 400 rounds, 50-60 FPS less between PF9 parked and P11 steel barrels. I have not measured the P3AT, but assume it is similar or worse. I HAVE seen a decrease of penetration and expansion for parked P3AT in wetpacks though.

Parkerizing is etched into the metal. I'm not sure you can EVER get the roughness out.

Packer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting. I bought a Parkerized version yesterday as a back up when I have to send my blue model to the shop.

Thought it was a used gun after I got it home and saw all that grey stuff inside it, so I'm sorta glad to hear it's not.

Put 213 rounds through it today, sorta surpised though, that I wasn't shooting as well with this one as I did with my blue one (in the shop right now), but I figured I was just having a bad day.

I'm thinking I can just switch out the barrels between this one and my blue one for carry... Range work shouldn't matter unless the process affects acurracy.

DP

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
my brother has a 2gen p3 that is daily carry, no holster, that has metal showing, after six months.....any thing finish wise will increase sevicable time....several ops have been expressed, i highly recommend any coating for a longer life span....gpr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a hard chromed P3AT that I picked up in November for $260 NIB. Thus far, I have been carrying it in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I may end up springing for a better leather holster down the line because I find that my dress slacks have pockets that are too loose.

G

·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  After 400 rounds, 50-60 FPS less between PF9 parked and P11 steel barrels. I have not measured the P3AT, but assume it is similar or worse. I HAVE seen a decrease of penetration and expansion for parked P3AT in wetpacks though.

Parkerizing is etched into the metal. I'm not sure you can EVER get the roughness out.

Packer.
and why they park the inside of the barrels, just does not make good sense...

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
imatt said:
Picked up my 2gen HC for $288 including tax.
Congrats! That's about the going price around here if you could find one.

G

·
imatt said:
Picked up my 2gen HC for $288 including tax.
u will love it, now just shoot it like u stole it. shoot good ammo. would at least lube the rails and that bar on the bottom of the slide and the slide pin also, before giving it a good workout. Just smooths out quicker that way. It will treat u right , if u treat it right...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.