Hard Chrome P3AT with Green Grip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Checker4Tix, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I recently bought a beautiful HC/Green P3AT from mgregg85. I finally got around to cleaning it up and installing some new parts. I put +1 extensions on the magazines and replaced the recoil springs and the firing pin spring. I also replaced the mag catch and its spring, installed a JFB washer and put in one of the new style hammer blocks.

I haven't shot here yet, but hope to soon. Here are some pictures for you to drool over. YMMV, but I've come to believe that the HC over Green is the nicest factory color scheme. I'm thrilled to have this one in my collection.

High resolution images will launch if you click on any of the images below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Very nice looking gun.

Of those 'upgrades' that you did do you care to elaborate on any of them? I am a n00b and therefore unaware of the JFB washer and why you would replace the mag catch and it's spring. Not trying to hijack your thread here but you got me curious.

3. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    Not a problem!

I replaced all the springs just to get the action back in like new condition. Based on what Matt told me it maybe had 500 rounds through it. It probably didn't need new springs just yet, but they are free.

As for the mag catch, it was a bit worn - perhaps even filed down a bit to make it closer to a flush fit to the frame. It was just a matter of preference for me to put in a new one, and while I was at it I asked for a new mag catch spring. Both again were free.

The JFB washer is another issue. It helps prevent peening of the guiderod hole. Search on the peening issue in the P3AT section and you'll find some pictures and a better description. Once you get up to 25 posts, you can buy a little bag of the washers in the Tradin Post. A life time supply will only cost you a few bucks.

4. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Very nice !!! that hard chrome looks really great !! I'm starting to get jealouse...thanks for the washer explantion, but do you need to do it on the 2nd gen's too ? Good luck with her..fantastic looking gun !!

5. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Nice looking gun. Every time I see an olive green frame it makes me wish I had picked that instead of black.

6. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    Maybe. I joined KTOG after this problem had been identified. Others will know the history better than me, but I believe there was problem with slide peening sometime after the 2nd generation P3AT's became available. I'm pretty sure the problem is now long solved, and it doesn't come up much any more. But I had the washers...

7. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Very nice looking combination.

wyo-man

8. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    I spent a few minutes with Google this morning to see if I could find other pictures of HC/Green P3AT's. Other than one obviously colorized one from Bud's Gun Shop, I couldn't find a single one. I wonder if they are really that rare. I did find one HC/Green P32 that Oleg Volk had photographed, but nothing else. Have any of you seen them before? Other than this one, I haven't seen one like this in person.

edited to fix glaring spelling errors... :-/

9. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
  10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Great looking gun, C4T. I bought my P3AT last Spring. Peening hasn't been an issue for me but I don't know where the change to the slide was made to correct the problem.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Wow, real nice looking. Blued/OD has been my favorite combo but you got me now second guessing myself. :) Just pulled my HC/Gray out of my pocket to have a look, it is OK but think I like yours better.

Take care...