Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there

I recently purchased two PF-9's with the hard chrome finish, one for myself, one for my lady. I've always polished the feed ramps on my other pistols but I'm not up to speed on HC finishes. It appears that the HC plating has been applied to the slide, the barrel, and even the take down pin. The feed ramp(s) look relatively smooth, but we all want that perfect shiny ramp right? Will an adequate "Fluff and Buff" likely damage the plating on the ramp? Is it actually plated or merely has that satin "bead blast" look?
BTW - my first Kel-tecs.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
The feed ramp(s) look relatively smooth, but we all want that perfect shiny ramp right?
Don't worry about polishing the feed ramp unless it is having feed problems that could be addressed by polishing the feed ramp. Don't fix what isn't broke. :)

Will an adequate "Fluff and Buff" likely damage the plating on the ramp? Is it actually plated or merely has that satin "bead blast" look?
A simple polish won't typically take off what you want left on the feed ramp, but, honestly, shoot 2 or 3 boxes of FMJ through it first.

It's generally recommended not to use Winchester White Box. A lot of people seem to have problems with it, but, on the other hand, it works just fine for a lot of folks too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm with Kirk. Don't fix it if it isn't causing a problem. Shoot a bunch of rounds through them and see how they perform. Then dig into them if need be.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Is it actually plated...
Yes, it's plated. I polish the feedramps on all my guns. For my HC Kel-Tecs I just use Flitz, or some other metal polish, and hand rub until it shines. It doesn't take long and I've never rubbed through the plating. Leave your Dremel in the drawer.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
give them a try first , if they work without feed problems just shoot them

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering about the hard chrome as well that's what I ordered for myself. I am going to try and get a 200-300 rounds of remmington umc through it first, try.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes it's HC and you can mirror it out with some 1500-2000 grit paper if you want to. Chances are you won't need to though as the chrome is already about as slick as it gets and the nose of the bullets will polish it for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was hoping the hard chrome would feed nicer, thanks for the feedback. I get to pick mine up tomorrow after the 48 hold period. I am excited, my first pistol, although I have shot before, first one I own. I will provide my experience with my hard chrome and the remmington umc in the appropriate forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts