Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum, but have been searching around now for a long time on the site.

I picked up my new .380 and shot 100 WWB. Had 6 FTE with the casings half way out of the chamber.

I am very pleased with this gun, and look forward to shooting more of it. My only question is; did any of you guys have the same FTE problems and then have the gun wear in and the problem go away?

I dont care if I have to send it in, because frankly I dont complain, and if it takes a week to save me a lot of money, then you wont hear me whining.

Another thing, does anybody else ever get a little sting in the trigger finger while shooting.....ouch!

Thanks for all the info you have given me already and the info I am sure I will be receiving.

Jeff

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

Ammo would be nice to know. But I am betting that you did not do a thorough cleaning and HEAVY lubing before you shot those 100 rounds. Give that a try and I am betting you may fix your FTEs.

These FTEs are not uncommon and there are lots of tricks and it is easily solved. After a general cleaning you can do some polishing, fluffing and buffing (called a F&B) and someone will be along shortly to post the links to initial cleaning and F&B instructions.

If these first two steps dont solve it, there is a minor filing to the barrel hood called a Flyer Barrel Hood Mod (you can search for it) that is rarely necessary anymore but does work well.

And yes, it would be wise to preemptively apply a bandaid if you are going to shoot more than a few magazines at a time! Sanding the trigger and trigger guard smooth with some fine sandpaper tends to help a bit.

Again, welcome.

-Scott

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
WWB ammo is problematic in some guns.
Try some other brand like Federal American Eagle and see if that helps the FTE problem.

Also, be sure the hex-head bolt that holds the extractor spring on is tight.

If you look closely at your trigger & trigger guard you will probably find some sharp mold flash, and a very "pointy" end on the trigger.

Use an X-acto knife, or small file, or sandpaper and smooth all the mold flash, and round off & smooth the bottom end of the trigger slightly.
That should help a lot with the finger pinching and pain!

rcmodel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I only used the Winchesters. I had more with me but I "chose" not to shoot those. I will have to smooth out that trigger and surrounding areas.

I am very excited at how accurate it was too. I painted the sites with green contrasting orange. I am more than happy with it as of right now.

I cleaned and lubed befre hand, and will do so before shooting again. Funny thing is that it happened at about the 48 rd marker and then from then on. But 1-48 were great.

So I hope it works itself out and the rest will be history.

Thanks all,

Jeff

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Again check the extractor bolt, and Clean & Lube often, especially during break-in.

These are not full-size combat pistols, and will not run forever dry & dirty.

rcmodel

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Depending on how dirty your particular ammo shoots, as the feed ramp, hood, and chamber begin to build up with dirt the extracting shell can begin to drag a bit. This along with a slide that may be beginning to drag a little also, due to dirt and/or lack of lube can cause FTE's.

As the gun smooths out during break-in this tends to diminish, and often disappears altogether.

A loose extractor screw could also be a cause.

Also, especially after shooting a lot and getting tired, limp-wristing can contribute to FTE's.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
wsu4wheeler said:
It is tight, and I clean and lube before and after every range trip.  I also will not shoot more than 100 rds in one session.
Some of these little guys (particularly when new) will start to choke up after 50 rounds or so. Others will run hundreds of rounds between cleanings.

Remember, this is not a range gun. It's real job is to go bang seven times when you NEED it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
RAT76 said:
Remember, this is not a range gun.  It's real job is to go bang seven times when you NEED it.
Ditto!

·
Registered
255 Posts
You will love it!! Like the others said, could have gotten a little dirty, and limp wristing after 48 rounds. Once it is broke in, it will be great. I was lucky, one of the many who have had a perfect pistol from the get-go.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
WWB is the only ammo that will not feed good in my P3 so far.
Try some FMJ ammo and give the slide a little time wear in.
The F & B mentioned on this board is a very good idea to prepare the P3.
It is a good idea to do it on any new semi auto for that matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.