Happy early b-day to me! (range report, too!)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by shootah800, Jan 6, 2008.

1. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    -K- so...

I had a SWEET blued/grey P3-AT on layaway for my b-day in February. It MATCHES the PF9 I got for Christmas! Anyway, I went to trade in my old Llama Comanche III .357 as a partial trade for the P3-AT. It was an old gun, yes, but it was in great shape. In fact, they originally told me they would give me $150 for it. This would have given me the P3 for only $115 out of pocket. Sweet deal, right? When I took it in, they gave me $200 for it, AND what he called a good-customer-new-gun-discount. I had put $54 on it originally. When I asked him what I still owed on it, he said, "$5"... $5!!!!!!!!!!!! A BRAND NIB, SWEET, MATCHES MY PF9, P3-AT for ONLY $59 OUT OF POCKET!!!!!!!! Go, Matt! Go, Matt! It's your birthday! (In a month or so...)

So, I also picked up an extra mag, a box of Magtech FMJ's, and a pakage of snap caps. This all happened on Friday. I got it home, F&Bed it, and put it to bed until yesterday. I went and picked up a box of WWB at Wally World, but later realized that the Magtech was cheaper... $11.50 for 50, opposed to $25.50 for 100. I'll remember that next time.

So, I went to my "range" to try it out. In short, I put 108 rounds though it (78 WWB and 30 Magtech FMJ's), without a single hiccup. It was surprisingly accurate, and from the horror stories I've read here, I was expecting it to tear my hand off with recoil. It was almost fun to shoot. Sure, until I got used to it, it tried to jump out of my hand a few times. After 3 or 4 mags though, it was quite comfortable, and was a little easier to handle than my PF9. I would like to get a couple of +1 extensions, and I assume those will make it even easier to control.

All in all, I am more than satisfied with my purchase, and with my new little pocket rocket. It will go into immediate service as a BUG to my PF9, as well as my primary when I can't carry the 9.

-Matt... who is THRILLED to be the newest member of the P3 club!

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sometimes... life is good. :cool:

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Dude! Glad you like the little thing. They are one heck of a good little gun.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    PLR and/or SU and a Sub in the near future! These babies are addicting.

-Scott

5. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    The .22 versions are definitely on the list. The .223's when things look a little better financially... Don't know when that'll be!

-Matt

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I almost went back to add:  And it only gets worse when wifey realizes she should be carrying too!  

Wifey and I share almost every hobby and philosophy, including this one.  It gets $ to buy two of everything.  At least she doesn't like carrying the glock and rarely rarely rarely carries one of the P40s.   And now you know another reason why I do NOT have a pf9 - she'd probably carry that!!!!

But Matt, once yours realizes she wants to be able to protect her family too, well then its 2 for the price of, well, 2!

-Scott

7. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I have taken her with me a couple of times, she has shot my carbine and my big ol' .357 (which I no longer have... see above) and she didn't mind shooting them. She's not addicted yet, though. As soon as I get her to shoot the spinner targets with the new S&W .22 pistol, I think she'll be hooked. After a couple of trips, I'll get her to try the P3-AT.

Next on my list is a .40 or .45 for a little more firepower for carry. I wish the P40 was still available, or that the conversion kits weren't impossibly expensive. I've seen a couple of P11's at pawn shops. It'll probably be the Taurus .45, then one of the KT .22's... but that's a year or so down the road. $$ is tight right now, and I wouldn't have brought home the P3-AT for another month or two if the above hadn't happened. I would really like my wife to be involved a little more with this hobby, but you're right, I am not looking forward to the gun shop bills.

-Matt

8. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Matt: I agree with your statement of "expecting it to tear my hand off" I enjoy shooting my P3 and do not consider it any more harsh than any other small handgun. Do you work with your hands everyday in a manual trade? (Other than someone running for office and "pressing the flesh")

::)  jb

9. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Matt: I agree with your statement of "expecting it to tear my hand off" I enjoy shooting my P3 and do not consider it any more harsh than any other small handgun. Do you work with your hands everyday in a manual trade? (Other than someone running for office and "pressing the flesh")

::)  jb[/quote]

jb --
    Actually, I'm a teacher. I do have at least one class where about 60% of the content is construction. I do enjoy doing things with my hands, but it may be the extra "padding" if ya know what I mean. I really enjoy shooting my new P3, and even my PF9, which I've had since Christmas, and has about 710 rounds through it (including today's trip to the "range"). I guess I'd better slow down, huh? Most people say these are, "carry a lot, shoot a little" guns. Oh, well! At least I'm havin' fun!!

-Matt

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You have all my sympathy... Back to work tomorrow. It's a long haul until spring break. :-/

11. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    You got that right. :-?