Hang Fires ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by eccoboot, Nov 27, 2010.

1. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Re: no dry firing of the P3at?

i have a new p3at hard chromed, that has had over 3 out of 75 hang fires, pull trigget nothing happens 3, 4 seconds later boom, scvares the hell out of me factory ammo,

2. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    does anybody have any hang fire issues with their p3at?[reason]make seperrate thread[/reason]

3. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    This sounds like a primer issue. What kind of factory ammo?

4. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Id like to know as well, As i just bought a new 3AT after years of drooling over them.

Either way, Im sure Keltec will get it straightened out.

5. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I was shooting PMC bronze90 gr fmj ammo, 2 boxes, bought at 2 differant placed near Denver Colorado, this is dirty ammo, i shoot it in a differant caliber in my Glocks all day long never a problem....i took the gun apart cleaned the firing pin and the inn er slide hole out, and will try again tomorrow to shoot it....I have owned several keltec pistols, never a problem, except with a p40 years ago...kel tec sent it back with all new parts except the outer frame.....

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If it is gun related, the hammer has to be the problem.

You could look at hammer with slide off to see if there is something catching before it goes past straight up. I would use thumb to control hammer travel and feel for any hesitation that would hang up the travel then let go. If the hammer block is catching (that position is hammer straight up, there should not be enough impact to fire if hammer fell from block

check the hammer notch in the slide for a machining step that could catch the hammer

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I found an unusual hammer problem, where the hammer would catch during travel and not strick the firing pin.

8. mjoplin

mjoplin New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I am not a fan of the PMC ammo. I found it to be very dirty and did have one FTF at the range. Probably not a great idea, but after waiting a while (pointed downrange) I ejected the shell and reloaded it in the mag and it fired the second attempt several minutes laters. Brand new P3AT.

Conversely with Sellier and Bellot ammo I have had zero issues and it is a much cleaner round. Based upon my experience, I'm staying away from PMC.