Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put a couple thousand rounds through so far with no issues. Supported accuracy was more than acceptable once the forend was replaced, limited by ammo quality and the nasty trigger. It's fun enough ringing steel that heat becomes an issue--I played around with inner heat shields or just wore gloves until I found the KE arms wrap. Works great but really needs the rail to keep it locked in place. It also smooths over the polymer stiffening rib ahead of the magwell that I've often been tempted to round off.

Finally added the MCARBO kit, which completely transformed the horrible gritty trigger. Just a touch of creep now with a much smoother and lighter break. Should have done this first.

Next up I'll put together some groups and chrono results with various brands of bulk 5.56, maybe even work up a handload. That might seem silly for a cheap plastic gun, but I'd like to know what's possible within reason. Nothing better than a first round impact.

IMG_20200915_083526.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice looking rifle.

I was wondering how much the free float hand guard improved your accuracy? Were you able to attain1 MOA with match ammo for instance?

I have the MCarbo spring in mine but not the trigger, nor the Red Lion hand guard. I think I generally get around 2 MOA with 77gr IMI Razorcore OTM ammo (nice ammo) at bench rest. So not great, but not awful.

Might be tough for you to get 1 MOA with a 2 MOA red dot though, I suppose, even with a magnifier added.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was definitely better, especially against a barricade but I can't really quantify since the handguard was the very first thing I changed.

One of the benefits of the HS503G: the 100yd aiming point is a "0 MOA" chevron, not a dot. It's tiny, and pretty much looks like a dot when unmagnified.

Screenshot_20200921-123315.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, nice. I have it similarly on my SU16A with a Primary Arms 1-6X24 with ACSS reticle. The 6 power aids at the 100yd mark if you're trying for precision. At 2 MOA (what I'm getting), I don't think of the gun as a precision rifle of course, but I was wondering if it were suped up more than mine if it could do 1 MOA reliably. I would pour a lot of money into it to accomplish that, but would if it weren't too much money. 2 MOA is good enough for its purpose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the best ways to improve a gun's accuracy is to try different shells until you find the ammo your gun shoots best.

I've taken a old worn out 30-30 that shot 7 MOA and by playing around with different handloads got it down to 2 MOA.

My .300 blk with factory ammo shoots 2 MOA but shoots a .8 MOA group with a handload I worked up for it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Right, and that will particularly work if the barrel is free floated prior to working up a load I imagine. As it stands, from the factory, this gun will do better with a heavier bullet, like a 77gr over a 55gr due to the 1 in 7 twist, which is why I use Razorcore ammo to test for MOA (not as good as your method, but a step in the right direction).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only fired a few rounds so far, turned out the new trigger isn't resetting. Odd, since it works fine when cycled manually but I guess I'll have to take it apart and see what I did wrong. Not something you can do in the field with the SU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts