Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to KelTec but have been shooting and reloading ammo for over 25 years. I was wondering if there is any problem with using handloads in the P3AT, I have some 95g FMJ and 95g JSP and plan on using WW231 powder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
From what I understand, work up your loads as normal using published data. Check your cases very well. I believe the 3AT has an unsupported chamber and if loaded too hot the cases will start to look like a preggo fish.

G

·
+1 on watching for bulged cases. I do not re-load .380, but the guy that owns my local club property does. I am always picking up brass and looking out for .380 brass for him.

From time to time I will run a mag of Cor-Bon DPX (my carry round) through my 3AT. EVERY Cor-Bon case I find will have a MAJOR bulge out of the 3AT.

I am not sure if it is that the Cor-Bon brass is that much thinner....or the load develops that much more pressure.

If you want.....I can ask him what load he uses.....but he runs a Bersa .380 - not a KT 3AT.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have loaded with 90 g Hornady XTP with Power Pistol Powder. I think it was 4.5 grains.... but I would have to go back and look. I have not had any problems with the load, but it does have a bark to it! ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
When I load for the 380 I use Win231 with 95 gr bullets. Don't remember how many grains. It's a few tenths of a grain less than the max load in the lyman book, just in case the measure throws a load a little heavy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I loaded 50 tonight, 95g JSPHB with 3.6g WW231, .970 COAL. I went on the light side for now, will try them in the P3AT tomorrow and see how they run, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well everything shot fine today, this was the first time shooting it since I bought it. Only has 1 FTE when a friend limpwristed it ;D. This little pistol is surprisingly accurate, since everything performed so well I loaded up 200 more rounds, the only change I made was changing the OAL from .970 to .960. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have recently started working on a load for the P3AT that uses Montana Gold 0.355” diameter 115gr HP bullets. I am doing this to minimize the number of bullet types to stock for reloading. The best load so far is with 3.3 gr of Unique and an OAL of 0.962”. I went up to 3.5 gr of Unique at the same length and experience larger case bulges than I like to see. However, the 3.5 gr load appears to be safe if not reusing cases. The hotter of the two loads also had very stout recoil and a couple of failures to extract.. The average velocities for these two loads over my Chrony F-1 were 756 fps and 815 fps respectively.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dilligas said:
Well I loaded 50 tonight, 95g JSPHB with 3.6g WW231, .970 COAL. I went on the light side for now, will try them in the P3AT tomorrow and see how they run, thanks for the input.
I use the same "soft" loads that I make up for the wife's Bersa Thunder; 100g RNFB over 3.2g W231 .975 OAL. Have a couple hundred flawless rounds thru my P3. Recoil is negligible, fairly accurate too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
JRadice45 said:
From what I understand, work up your loads as normal using published data. Check your cases very well. I believe the 3AT has an unsupported chamber and if loaded too hot the cases will start to look like a preggo fish.

ok i gotta know... what the hell i a preggo fish!!? :-/

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use 2.2gns of WW231 behind a 95gn FMJ for practice.  They are accurate and don't throw the brass all to hell and gone.  I have never had a problem with my reloads and even use them in IDPA Bug gun competition.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wanted to go as light as possible with no short strokes so I didn't have to chase empties. I use a Lee factory crimp die in my last station to keep from getting FTC's. The surprising part is that they are still accurate as the faster stuff. Of course a stones thrown at 21 feet probably all hit the same spot too. ;)

Regards,

John

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup, have the Lee FCD also...really love those...was a little tricky to set for the .380s but works great. Not worried about brass here; indoor range...doesn't travel far. I was just surprised how light your load is...see any increased limp wrist issues? And have you tried those in a larger gun?

·
Registered
72 Posts
EEEEK! Your comments about my light load made me go and look at the bag I have them in. The writing is wearing off and is actually 2.7 not 2.2. I had to check my records to make sure.

Sorry for the mistake, me bad. :-[

I don't have any other pistols in .380. I have several in 9mm Mak which I load with 2.5 Bullseye or 3.0 of WW231 behind a Berry TMJ bullet.

Outdoor ranges are a bitch if you reload small calibers. Sometimes I don't find them until I mow the grass! When it snows, we have to wait till spring thaw to reload. ;)

Regards,

John

·
Registered
120 Posts
>Sorry for the mistake, me bad

;D NP...that's still light but a lot closer to my loads given the slightly heavier bullet. I've not tried less as 3.2 is the minimum setting on my AutoDisk and I've not had cause to play around with the micro bar yet.

Yah, much easier to find the brass indoors. The P3 throws pretty much straight up/back, often with a spin as they'll hit the floor and spin for a few seconds...kinda entertaining.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.