Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lol :D ...You are probably right brother and I would have bought her a staple gun if it was more deadly than 22lr.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A staple gun would have been cheaper.
Don't expect me to approve of anything less than a .32 for self protection.
Lol ! :D I probably would have bought her a staple gun if it was deadlier than 22lr but nit even close. My brother defended him self with a 22 short after a buy broke his arm with a baseball bat. My brother shot him in the eye and he fell immediately to the ground. I shot a guy trying to attack me with a knife with a knife. It hit him in the jaw line and intered in his shoulder and in to his right bicep. One shot and he dropped his knife and backed up. They both lived but have scars and a glass eye and a story to tell there kids. my brother or me did not get charged. Hopefully she want have to use hers but with the help of God and 9 shots of 22lr. I hope God will approve of this message.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
An update on the ancient Beretta Bobcat, I have no objection to a tip up, in fact the design has been a backup favorite for its reliability.
The hard part is getting her to carry comfortably and have it in hand (not in a purse) when its needed. I hope she will upgrade in time. These aren't bad training wheels.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's my thinking on the matter, hopefully this can lead to bigger and better and safer things for her. I was watching my wife run and test the little pt22lr. The guy next to use let his wife fire his 9mm. It almost came out of hand even with him helping her to kinda hold it. I noticed righ away that she did not like the recoil. She said that she did not want to try again. I asked her husband to let her fire the little 22lr. He agree and I can tell that she was not over intimidated by the 22lr. Afterwards she said to her husband that this is the size gun I like and need. I also noticed that my wife seem to enjoy shooting the 22lr more so than her Bersa 380. I don't think its going to intimidate my doughter as well. Which I hope translate into being firearm proficient for her. That would make me worry less about her safety.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well guys I went to a gun show here in Dallas over the weekend and purchased a Tausra pt 22lr poly for my 24 year old daughter who lives alone in Houston. After much tought and debate the wife and I decided that some training and a 9 shot 22lr is a good starting point for her. After seeing my wife fire it at a man size target slow and rapid fire. I feel pretty good about it being able to keep a bad guy off her with proper training.
Congrats! I have a Ruger 22/45 that I could press into service if needed. I have plenty of CCI Mini Mags 40 gr set aside for that very purpose. Now your daughter gets the fun of shooting it for familiarization and practice and it won't break the bank to do this a lot. :)

·
Read Only
69 Posts
I grew up with hunting and guns as a kid but never truly introduced firearm handling to my kids. Rethinking on mid 20's doughter now that she is on her own and lives away from home and is showing a good deal of independence. She is petite in size and never fired a hand gun.
The question is...does she WANT a gun? Some folks, no matter what's going on around them, don't. And if they don't, even if they break down and get one, they won't "learn" the gun, and it'll sit and gather dust or they'll end up doing something dumb with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am lucky I guess. I have been teaching my grandson to shoot and he is quite good. I also have my own range. My daughter in her mid 30's came and said she wants to learn. We went to the range, started with a .22LR, worked up to 9mm and she said she definitely wanted one. Did the same for her husband who had no firearm experience. Final conclusion was shooting an AR15 and they both loved it. Being a good father I gave her a good 9mm and some ammo. All is well. You can't push them, they have to want to learn. If I didn't have my own range there are plenty nearby that I could have taken them to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I grew up with hunting and guns as a kid but never truly introduced firearm handling to my kids. Rethinking on mid 20's doughter now that she is on her own and lives away from home and is showing a good deal of independence. She is petite in size and never fired a hand gun.
Do you happen to live in the Seattle area? I'm a handgun safety & self-defense instructor with the Armed Defense Training Association, www.armeddefense.org, and they do an excellent job of helping new shooters, both women and men, to become safe and effective with handguns. They teach scenario-based training, so if the #!$%# hits the fan while you're daughter is out in public, she'll have spent a number of training hours in environments at least similar enough to where she finds herself for her response to be smooth and practices - that's no time to be trying to figure things out. The training classes are free, and the dues are only required when shooters become comfortable enough to migrate from the classroom classes to live-fire exercises. There are probably similar training organizations in many locations around the country.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm over in the great state of Texas, thanks for your offer and all the classes sound really interesting. Something I would like to her move towards in the near future and add as she goes. Thanks for your post

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The question is...does she WANT a gun? Some folks, no matter what's going on around them, don't. And if they don't, even if they break down and get one, they won't "learn" the gun, and it'll sit and gather dust or they'll end up doing something dumb with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You are right,that's why I'm not going to push her to own one. I will just break it in and let it sit in my gun cabinet until she feels 100% ready to train and own a firearm. Thanks brother

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Hope everyone is having a happy Thanksgiving. I just want to up date on my daughter's first trip to the rang with her new Taurus pt22 poly. Yesterday me and the wife sat down with her and whent over the rules for hand gun safety. We also watched a hand gun safety video by John Correa. His videos are super informative. She picked up and showed good safe handling and understanding on how to operate the Pt22. The next day which is today we when to the gun range. I let my wife take the lead showing and firing the pistol first' I stood back and watched for handling and safety mistakes. I was pleasantly surprised on how safe and accurate with the firearm she was. I do believe the heavy trigger pull was not that great for her. She has very small hands and she is petite in statue. Never the less I was very happy with what I have observed in her handling and firing a hand gun. She takes a beginner's class in a week and the wife will have another range session with her after that. Feel pretty good about everything so far guys. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Yep. NEVER underestimate a woman with a gun! Just let Mom handle this.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yep. NEVER underestimate a woman with a gun! Just let Mom handle this.
Man I should have listened to you!! I end up sending that Taurus Pt22 poly back to Taurus. It was jamming way to much. I purchased brand new at a gun show. It did ok at first but after tinkering with it I believe I made it worse. They agreed to send me a brand new one as soon as they can manufacture one and get them back in inventor. My daughter really like it and her confidence is way up over that little pistol. She is waiting on the new one to come in. I hope it a good one and feeds better.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
That is interesting. Sorry you had that experience but I glad you found the reliability limit before it was needed.
You've done the training wheels, now get her a big girl's gun like her mom's.
They come in colors.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Anything new on this?
BTW, Ive become a fan of .32 H&R Magnum.
Its definitely a capable defense round yet more controllable than a .357. A good ladies revolver choice. IDK if there is an auto in .30 that has similar ballistics. A .32 Super?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No not yet....I have been waiting on Taurus to send the new replacement 22lr pistol. I'm just hoping it a good one this go around. I'm still weighing my options on a new pistol and maybe a different caliber. There's not much on the shelves at my local gun stores now of days. I'm now considering the Taurus Spectrum 380 or the Ruger lcp 22lr. Getting the right hand gun in my daughters posession is moving at a very slow pace now of days.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Getting the right hand gun in my daughters posession is moving at a very slow pace now of days.
I have an idea... why not take her with you and let her decide? That is, if they ever are commonly found on the dealers shelves again. Unless you have her hands you just won't know what fits her.

BTW, Ive become a fan of .32 H&R Magnum.
Its definitely a capable defense round yet more controllable than a .357.
In a revolver the .327 Federal Magnum is a bit more potent than the .32 H&R Mag. I was planning on getting the wife a handgun and this was cartridge in a LCR was high on my list for her to try. My plan was to load it with wadcutters to keep recoil down but they're still potent medicine. It turned out that she just didn't want a firearm of any type. But she likes the way my SIG 938 fits her hand. Likes the fact that it has a .22 conversion too but hasn't expressed an interest in one of her own. Maybe she'll express an interest when they are unavailable. That would be typical; waiting until the very last second.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I have an idea... why not take her with you and let her decide? That is, if they ever are commonly found on the dealers shelves again. Unless you have her hands you just won't know what fits her.

In a revolver the .327 Federal Magnum is a bit more potent than the .32 H&R Mag. I was planning on getting the wife a handgun and this was cartridge in a LCR was high on my list for her to try. My plan was to load it with wadcutters to keep recoil down but they're still potent medicine. It turned out that she just didn't want a firearm of any type. But she likes the way my SIG 938 fits her hand. Likes the fact that it has a .22 conversion too but hasn't expressed an interest in one of her own. Maybe she'll express an interest when they are unavailable. That would be typical; waiting until the very last second.
.327 wad cutters? Im already a .327 fan and finally found a G1 SP101 recently. But having delved into it a bit, the almost universal opinion by the gurus is .327 is almost overpowering a small revolver. H&R Mag is the load that got the .32 back as a viable defense round. I could be wrong, but someone's more likely to find a revolver in .327 now than .32 H&R Mag.
See this (disclaimer) after reading this, i don't like the authors style, but the facts are good.
I really want this revolver now. I just wish it were a S&W M60

21 - 40 of 57 Posts