Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up with hunting and guns as a kid but never truly introduced firearm handling to my kids. Rethinking on mid 20's doughter now that she is on her own and lives away from home and is showing a good deal of independence. She is petite in size and never fired a hand gun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I grew up with hunting and guns as a kid but never truly introduced firearm handling to my kids. Rethinking on mid 20's doughter now that she is on her own and lives away from home and is showing a good deal of independence. She is petite in size and never fired a hand gun.
It's never too late. Encourage her to get some training where she lives now. Pay for it if she can't afford it. I am guilty of the same thing with my kids, but they ended up getting training on their own.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Look, turn her on to Colin Noir
But then step back.
When it comes to guns and gun training, she will listen to an "expert" more than her father, same for wives.
And if she doesn't want anything to do with FAs, that's it. too late.
But then some folks are better off without toting guns.
IMHO

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look, turn her on to Colin Noir
But then step back.
When it comes to guns and gun training, she will listen to an "expert" more than her father, same for wives.
And if she doesn't want anything to do with FAs, that's it. too late.
But then some folks are better off without toting guns.
IMHO
I agree with you "Scott" and "Vegas" to be honest i did not want to touch this with a 10 feet pole but she asked me and i I'm her Dad and have been her protector. I was not to worry about her until she got out of college and moved to Houston from Dallas. Encouraging my doughter to own a firearm is not a easy decision for me as a Dad. She basically asked me and I told her that I would pay for the class even though she can afford it. After she takes a basic safety and shooting class. I was thinking maybe a DAO 22lr. Just food for tought if she decided to move forward with her decision. She is very small in stature as a young lady. Already found a local gun rang in her area down in Houston.....not a easy topic for me at all.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
you never know, some women enjoy shooting once introduced. If she is close, keep it simple (point it downrange, finger off trigger when not shooting it) in a controlled environment and make it a fun bonding time for an hour. See where it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Just as important as how to shoot, is WHEN to shoot. Everybody is all upset about shootings of persons that don't seem reasonable solutions to the conflict, or perceived danger.
Even the most trained shooters will be grilled in court on the Use Of Deadly Force. People have gotten so outraged at the unjustified UODF, that they now protest at the use of justified deadly force, before they know all the facts, or they just don't care about any facts other than one of "them" got shot. All kinds of people get shot.

In UODF, the standard that police are held to is you cant justify UODF just because you're scared. A law enforcement professional who is trained in defensive tactics and use of less-lethal force techniques, are expected to match the threat on the same level, and just a little higher, without going over. He will be grilled in a court over his UOF, even if he is granted qualified immunity. A CHL holder isn't held to the same standards because they aren't required to have the training, they don't have a dangerous occupation with qualified immunity, can still be grilled in court over their actions and possibly loose the case, like the case in Florida where Michael Drejka shot Markeis McGlockton. Every second of that conflict was scrutinized.

If you can, try to find a CHL instructor that doesn't have any hero or victim agendas. People make bad shoots being the hero and thinking they're the victim.
The best thing, AVOID a conflict. If you're living in a high crime area, move away. If you need gas and see bums hanging around, find another gas station.
For her, I would say at least have a 20ga shotgun for the home because it doesn't matter where you live now, you can get invaded,
But .22? naw. Need stopping power. But the boolit size argument can go on all day.

AND women will surprise you what they can do with a gun!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"women will surprise you what they can do with a gun!" My brother said the exact samething. I also was thinking shot gun at one point myself. She car car issue late at night coming from Houston in a some what isolated area and I kinda stop entertaining the idea of a shotgun.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Even though I never hid my FA ownership from my kids, I waited until they were in their late teens to actually give them a push to the range. I waited because they didn't seem ready earlier (one of the things that parents have to choose based on what they know of their kids - no such thing as the "right" age by just numbers.). My daughter at the time complied, but not with enthusiasm, the others had a little more gusto to it. Both my wife and I worked carefully on how and when to push our kids to get training and get a FA. Long story short, my daughter is a strong 2A supporter, but has a real issue with the bang (for that matter, any loud noise). I started her off with a 22LR target pistol. I also, deliberately, had someone else give her the training (even though I am a CCW instructor), so that if she had a less than great experience, she could blame it on the other person and allow me to come at it again learning from the other person's issues. I found that that was a good choice as she found the 22 to be somewhat usable initially, but couldn't handle having a casing flying across her vision with every shot (REALLY bothered her - Shoots lefty like me). I re-approached it with a revolver. Found out that she is a crack shot and very good with FA, but still doesn't like to shoot as it is very taxing on her emotionally. She is now in her early 20's and does have a FA in the home (and knows how to use it).

Bottom line, have patience, keep gently at it, but listen carefully to her wants and needs and adapt.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Good first SD auto
View attachment 54044
Fixed barrels give you accuracy at low cost. I love the blowback design.
You just never know, though. My wife likes revolvers, 1911, eaa witness/ cz 75 design, lever guns, and ... well, there is no predictable theme or safe buy for her even after 20 years I would hesitate to recommend a new gun or buy her one as a gift without her holding it first. All you can do is let someone (any gender) shoot what you have available and try to get a feel for what they do and don't like. And even that feel isnt good enough to do more than quietly point out (hey, that has a 20 pound trigger, and you said you didn't like that) things when they go to buy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good first SD auto
View attachment 54044
Wow man I just got of youtube reviewing the Bersa Thunder 380cc before I read your post.!My wife owns the black and matte Thunder 380. It is very accurate and reliable. The 380cc takes the hammer out of play which is less for her to deal with. I like your thinking on this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was taught how to handle firearms as a very young boy. So were my sublings. I never mistook a toy gun from a real gun because I was taught what a real gun was like and how it operated. I have taught all 4 of my kids how to handle firearms beginning when they were 11 - 13 years old. My wife already knew how to shoot when we were married. Wife goes to practice with me and the kids on a regular basis. All enjoy the outings. All know how to defend themselves against a deadly threat, if necessary. My wife and I control all access to firearms and ammo at home.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Wow man I just got of youtube reviewing the Bersa Thunder 380cc before I read your post.!My wife owns the black and matte Thunder 380. It is very accurate and reliable. The 380cc takes the hammer out of play which is less for her to deal with. I like your thinking on this.
Where I see guys go wrong in choosing EDC defense pistols is they go for the smallest package with the biggest boolit, which results in a multitude of problems. The Thunder is a good full featured properly matched entry level HG, which you already knew. She probably picked it, LOL.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are right again....she want trade it for nothin Lol. it's a little heavy but I think she likes it like that because it helps with recoil which I think she realize with out saying so.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Where I see guys go wrong in choosing EDC defense pistols is they go for the smallest package with the biggest boolit, which results in a multitude of problems. The Thunder is a good full featured properly matched entry level HG, which you already knew. She probably picked it, LOL.
I have several and have owned more .40 and .45 small guns that worked fine. I am slowing growing to trust my latest carry style gun which is in 45 acp and not much bigger than my hand, no issues so far. I don't think larger diameter causes problems. Worst you can say is it shaves a round off the mag capacity. Its heavy, esp with 240s, but that is the tradeoff for going to 45.

that said I will likely stick to my 9mm carry more often. The 45 was just cool, but its been flawless.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Blackkat

I am in Houston. I have membership at Texas Gun Club (awesome indoor range) and PSC (awesome outdoor range). I am an NRA Certified RSO. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to provide a brief, safe introduction. Fair warning, I don't think her stature makes a difference and I don't own a .380. I can safely put her behind .22lr, 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP, 38special or 357 magnum. She can try revolvers and autoloaders. Plus I have carbines in each of those calibers plus 556, 762x39, 308 and 45/70 mixed as autoloaders, bolt guns and lever actions. Finally, she can try my 12guage bullpup autoloader.

I can keep her safe and let her explore what interests her. I'd be honored and I am certain my gf can offer her a competent petite female shooting perspective to cover any introductory gaps.

·
Registered
527 Posts
started both kids off young, very young. they always knew if they wanted to shoot a gun, let me know and we would go. i let them shoot a gun very young under safe conditions so the curiosity attraction was gone AND they knew what happened when they pulled the trigger, not what cartoons and games showed. a healthy fear of what a bullet really did, knowledge of what made a gun fire, and the sense to leave and go find an adult right now if they found a gun or someone with a gun. too many tragedies with a kid horrified at what a gun really does if you pull the trigger because that was the first time he ever pulled a trigger

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys I went to a gun show here in Dallas over the weekend and purchased a Tausra pt 22lr poly for my 24 year old daughter who lives alone in Houston. After much tought and debate the wife and I decided that some training and a 9 shot 22lr is a good starting point for her. After seeing my wife fire it at a man size target slow and rapid fire. I feel pretty good about it being able to keep a bad guy off her with proper training.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
A staple gun would have been cheaper.
Don't expect me to approve of anything less than a .32 for self protection.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts