Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm wondering if there is a known issue with the hammer not falling if you don't pull the trigger straight back. I took my P3AT to the range on Saturday. I realized the if i had any pressure to the left or right on the trigger, that the hammer would catch on the hammer block, and wouldn't strike the firing pin.....WHY? Is this common? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The trigger must reach the full limits of its rear travel in order to both trip the sear, and drop the hammer block out of the way. By pressing the trigger to one side or the other and so hitting the side of the trigger slot in the grip, you are likely preventing the trigger from reaching the full rear movement.

Jim R

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that's what is confusing. I'm not 'moving' the trigger one way or the other...it's if any pressure is applied one way or the other while pulling back. I know how to pull a trigger....something is wrong. from what i can tell, the trigger bar is going full range of motion, but what's happening is the trigger bar is catching the hammer halfway through it's travel towards the firing pin....

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
How old is this gun? I'm not sure this is your problem, but sometimes, especially on the 1st generation guns, we saw the trigger pin backing out which caused the problem you have described. Check to see that your trigger pin is fully inserted.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpin.htm

Otherwise, I suspect that perhaps your trigger bar has a problem (bent, out of spec, etc), and I would call for a new one to be sent. If you can removed the frame from the grip, you can easily replace the hammer bar.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine new about a month ago.

I have had this gun down to pins and springs several times. I smoothed out all of the internals, but i didn't take any metal off, so i do not think that i ruined or broke anything. I remember reading a thread a while back that described this same issue. I will order a new trigger bar and see if that fixes the problem. I will also take a look at the trigger pin. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
trigger bar and spring problem, tear down and check these. also make sure the trigger block is fully forward before you click the frame into the grip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i tried adjusting my trigger bar last night...i was making progress and then it just snapped. Apparently it's made out of pot metal :(

so i ordered a new trigger bar and hammer block. the trigger pin was all the way seated, and that turned out to not be the problem. Usually when i order things from Kel Tec, the parts are usually here within 3-4 days, so i'll update the thread when it's all back together and (hopefully) working correctly.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Those trigger bars can be brittle. I've read about several doing the very same thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think it was just out of spec and must be molded or cast (or however they form that cheap stuff) to where it will stay. I started adjusting and it was working and i went a little too far. I put it back in the pistol and i could feel that i had adjusted too much. So i put it back in the vice and started going back the other way, when all of a sudden...SNAP! it was toast. So i got on the hook this morning and they're sending out a trigger bar, hammer block, and a new screw for my belt clip.....dang those screws are cheap!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
It is hard tempered steel so it won't wear out or deform.

It may break before it will bend, as designed.

rc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i didn't add too much pressure to it before it snapped like a toothpick.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Check the hammer pin. One side has a groove and the groove side should be on the transfer bar side. Same problem will show up on the PF9 if this pin is in the wrong way and you pull the trigger slowly or off to one side.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Check the hammer pin. One side has a groove and the groove side should be on the transfer bar side. Same problem will show up on the PF9 if this pin is in the wrong way and you pull the trigger slowly or off to one side.
+1 on that, good place to look for that problem

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i'll take a look and see if that's a contributing problem. I got the trigger bar and new hammer block in.....but they sent me a P-11 trigger bar!

oh well, i'll have to wait until wed or thurs.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you mean trigger bar? I'm having a similar issue when i put any kind of right side pressure on the trigger. Took it all apart inspected everything and cant find the flaw? I also look to see it the grove was on the proper side. It is. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do you mean trigger bar? I'm having a similar issue when i put any kind of right side pressure on the trigger. Took it all apart inspected everything and cant find the flaw? I also look to see it the grove was on the proper side. It is. Any other suggestions?
The transfer bar is the flat piece of metal that transfers the movement of the trigger to the hammer. The pin that goes through the hammer (you mentioned you had it down to pins) has a very slight notch on one side. This notched side is the side the transfer bar rides on. If it is replaced backwards you will get hammer drop issues when pulling slowly. If you snap the trigger back fast it will drop most of the time. Only other trigger issues I have had was the trigger pin backing out slightly. This also made the hammer fail to drop. This pin runs up inside the trigger and is seen on the bottom of the back side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool, thanks. in my manual its called a trigger bar but I believe we are talking about the same thing. I called Kel Tec and they wont send me any parts. Says I need a new hammer block. They are going to email me prepaid label to send it back. I asked if they could send the parts but he said that they don't do that for that issue anymore due to the block spring needing to be replaced under the proper tension using some sort of jig. So, I guess I wont see this little guy for awhile.:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool, thanks. in my manual its called a trigger bar but I believe we are talking about the same thing. I called Kel Tec and they wont send me any parts. Says I need a new hammer block. They are going to email me prepaid label to send it back. I asked if they could send the parts but he said that they don't do that for that issue anymore due to the block spring needing to be replaced under the proper tension using some sort of jig. So, I guess I wont see this little guy for awhile.:(
that's weird. I called them up and told them that i need a trigger bar and a hammer block sent out, gave them my address, and was off the phone in 5 minutes.

And yes the transfer bar and trigger bar are the same thing. Transfer bar is more commonly used when talking about Glocks, but the two parts do the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I told the Guy I was fully capable of replacing any parts but he said they no longer send those parts out due to the hammer block requiring a special jig to put the correct tention wind on the block spring. I got my next day air shipping label and sent it off today. Its a good thing I own 6 walthers 2 glocks a kimber and a ruger, cause I wont be seeing this little Guy for a long while. As nice as all my other pistols are they dont fulfill the role of my p3at. Oh well, i will cope some how.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya my p3at has been down for about 2-3 weeks now waiting on kel tec to send the right damn parts. I have just been carrying around my small camelback backpack with the sub2k in it ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts