Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2nd gen P3AT.

Fired a box at the range yesterday. After cleaning and reassemble I found that I can pull the trigger all the way and the hammer will not fall.

I read the faq where it was noted the trigger pin will sometimes work loose. Mine seems tight.

I have noticed I can squeeze the rear grip area just below the slide and it will fall every time.

Any suggestions will be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
tennman said:
I have noticed I can squeeze the rear grip area just below the slide and it will fall every time.
Any suggestions will be more than appreciated.
Sorry you having problems.  It sounds like you are squeezing in the area of the trigger transfer bar.  If the grip is bowed out around this bar it will slip over the trigger axis and not fire.  Bowing grips here or up at the assembly pin are issues that do come up every now and then.  The fact that you can squeze it and get a fire sure seems to make sense with this diagnosis...

ETA - sorry, got a call... am back.

You can 1) order a new grip (with parts installed) from KT but that is time consuming, especially right now. You can also fix this yourself with a hair dryer. Heat up that area real well with a hair dryer on hot. Once hot, USING GLOVES, you can keep inward pressure on this area while it cools. You might want to just set a weight on that area as it cools??? Once it cools down to being less bowed you shouldn't have any problems.

Let us know how it works out and if it would show, post some pics.

-Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I just took a look at the area you suggested. It appears to be tight against the rail. Would it be very apparent if it was loose as you mentioned?
I can give the hair dryer method a try if you think it would help.

I also noticed that with the slide removed the hammer will fall every time with no pressure being applied to the grip.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
First off - you do have a snap cap in there during all this testing don't you???  Or at least an empty cartridge as dry firing any KT is a big no no.

Looking from the side you should be able to see the transfer bar move with each trigger pull.  Look at the tiny crack between the slide and the grip.    When the hammer won't fall is the trigger bar still going through its full circular motion?

No, the bulge might not be perceptable right off.  And it wouldn't hurt to try the hair dryer even if that's not the problem.

Make sure you look at the parts diagram so we are talking the same parts.

Part #260 is what you should be looking for.

-Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
adamsesq said:
First off - you do have a snap cap in there during all this testing don't you???  Or at least an empty cartridge as dry firing any KT is a big no no.

Looking from the side you should be able to see the transfer bar move with each trigger pull.  Look at the tiny crack between the slide and the grip.    When the hammer won't fall is the trigger bar still going through its full circular motion?

No, the bulge might not be perceptable right off.  And it wouldn't hurt to try the hair dryer even if that's not the problem.

Make sure you look at the parts diagram so we are talking the same parts.

Part #260 is what you should be looking for.

-Scott
Yes, using a spent casing to test.

I just tried the hair dryer and had no success.

Looking at the transfer bar, it is moving though what appears to be almost a full motion except for the last 1/16" or so. When squeezing this area it will drop every time

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
There were some pistols made (although I think they might have been all Pf9s???) that had a the groove for the transfer bar a little thin. Other than the above I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else has some - NEXT?

As a fallback, KT should be back open tomorrow morning. I'd hope that a new grip would fix things but ???

-Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate your help. I will contact them tomorrow.

I would think they would just need the lower returned or do they require the whole assembly for any repair?

From one traveling man to what appears to be another, thanks again.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
tennman said:

I would think they would just need the lower returned or do they require the whole assembly for any repair?
If you send parts to momma, she wants everything back. But you might be able to talk them into sending you a grip assembly and then returning yours once you get it. It's not hard to replace the frame and there are directions around here for that.

Just to help with some language, in KT pistol terms we really don't have "lowers" as the term is confusing as applied to other weapons. We have "slides" "frames" and "grips."

tennman said:
Actually not although I pick up on the knock which should be really confusing :) PM sent. (Click on "Check Messages" above).

-Scott

·
Registered
305 Posts
You could pull the frame out of the grip. Then hold the trigger bar in place with your thumb while you work the trigger. You won't have the hammer spring or the hammer block effects but it might give you a clue as to what's going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received a new grip from KelTec today.

Great service from them.

Installed grip and still could not get the hammer to fall without squeezing the side of the grip.

After about 3 times of removing and reinstalling the grip I finally have a weapon that will now fire when the trigger is pulled. Don't know if it was my assembly or just needed a little breaking in.

I did notice that on this grip I have to push in on the mag release to get the mag inserted.

Has anyone else experienced this on a new grip?

I will take it to the range for a few hundred rounds to make sure I can depend on it if needed.

Thanks to all for the troubleshooting, you were on the money!!!

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
tennman said:
Received a new grip from KelTec today.

Great service from them.

Installed grip and still could not get the hammer to fall without squeezing the side of the grip.

After about 3 times of removing and reinstalling the grip I finally have a weapon that will now fire when the trigger is pulled. Don't know if it was my assembly or just needed a little breaking in.

I did notice that on this grip I have to push in on the mag release to get the mag inserted.

Has anyone else experienced this on a new grip?

I will take it to the range for a few hundred rounds to make sure I can depend on it if needed.

Thanks to all for the troubleshooting, you were on the money!!!
Glad it is working now. And you should ALWAYS push in on the mag catch. It is plastic, the mag is metal. Repeatedly not pushing in on it will wear it out in short order. This is not a "slap it home" every time like you might be used to with other weapons. But if you need to in an emergency you obviously still can.

-Scott

·
Registered
459 Posts
tennman said:

Welcome aboard ternnman.
I love my P3AT. No problems. SS#HUExx.
I've traveled a lot.
PM, LTM, F&AM.
Charlie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cm said:
[quote author=tennman link=1231096170/0#6 date=1231100223] I appreciate your help. I will contact them tomorrow.

Welcome aboard ternnman.
I've traveled a lot.
PM, LTM, F&AM.
Charlie.
[/quote]

Hey Charlie, thanks.

I'm a Vet also, Viet.

My Dad was a WWII vet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
tennman said:
[quote author=cm link=1231096170/0#11 date=1231812558][quote author=tennman link=1231096170/0#6 date=1231100223] I appreciate your help. I will contact them tomorrow.

Welcome aboard ternnman.
I've traveled a lot.
PM, LTM, F&AM.
Charlie.
[/quote]

Hey Charlie, thanks.

I'm a Vet also, Viet.

My Dad was a WWII vet.
[/quote]

11th Airborne, Paratooper Rafleman, Luzon, P.I.
Long time ago.
We earned our USA Citizenship.
Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cm said:
[quote author=tennman link=1231096170/0#12 date=1231812747][quote author=cm link=1231096170/0#11 date=1231812558][quote author=tennman link=1231096170/0#6 date=1231100223] I appreciate your help. I will contact them tomorrow.

Welcome aboard ternnman.
I've traveled a lot.
PM, LTM, F&AM.
Charlie.
[/quote]

Hey Charlie, thanks.

I'm a Vet also, Viet.

My Dad was a WWII vet.
[/quote]

11th Airborne,  Paratooper Rafleman, Luzon, P.I.
Long time ago.
We earned our USA Citizenship.
Charlie
[/quote]

My Dad was 3rd armored. D-Day landing and Battle of the Bulge.

I have been to Luzon, P.I. and traveled along the death march trail.

You are right, we have payed our dues my friend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.