Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to lose confidence in my P3AT. I had a hammer spring break about 3 months ago and returned to factory for replacement. Went to the range today and got about 10 light strikes and the hammer spring broke again. I doubt the pistol has had 200 rounds thru it since the trip to FL for the last new hammer spring. I really like the P3AT but my P32 is looking better in that it does not break hammer springs. I just wonder if the increased recoil of the .380 causes some of this problem. Anyone else had problems with hammer springs? The fact told me the last time it was unusual for it to break. I guess its send it on its way to FL!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It is very unusual to have them break and very, very unusual to have 2 break. I've read of some of them breaking from time-to-time but not in awhile now. Makes me wonder if something is wrong other than just the spring.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had one break on me when I first got it and it made me VERY UNEASY about my purchase.
When I called Kel-tec I was told that they had a batch of springs that had been heat treated too long and were somewhat brittle.

I haven't broke another one since. If I did, I can honestly say I would feel uneasy, no matter how many people on this message board told me it was a fluke.

Like they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Except, replace "Fool" with "Break". Eh, whatever.

You have to remember that there are people who shoot hot ammo and have several hundreds or even thousands of rounds and still haven't broke a hammer spring.

P.S. Maybe explain the situation to Kel-tec and see if your gun has some type of defect causing this problem (although I cannot imagine what that would be.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it does make me a little uneasy. The gun has never had hot ammo thru it and actually does not have a very high round count. I have two other KT's with very high round counts and have had minor problems. My P-11 broke ejector and P32 slide cracked.

G

·
ruger, the kt people tell me the hammer springs for the 32 and 380 are the same, why ur 380 is doing it and not the 32 could be just bad springs (not good to hear that anyhow) but I don't relate it directly to the design of the 380 over ther 32 as they are almost identical

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought maybe it could be the recoil difference of the heavier bullet in the .380. I had a lot of problems w/ this .380 when I bought it to include FTF, FTE and empties to the forehead. Thought had everything worked out and now another hammer spring. I've had my p32 since 02 and I would hate to indicate the round count on it as most people would not believe it. 99% of the rounds thru it have been 2 grs BE with cast 71 gr.

I'm obviously not anti KT with .32, .380, 9mm and sub 2000 but I believe this .380 will have to find another home when it comes back from the sunny south. I just do not have the needed confidence in it now.

I carried a S&W airweight for 30+ yrs till I bought the P32. Makes me wonder if I need to bring it out of retirement.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ruger said:
I believe this .380 will have to find another home when it comes back from the sunny south. I just do not have the needed confidence in it now.
I have never had a hammer spring break but have replaced many stretched hammer springs (someone keeps pulling my grips). It now takes me only about 15 minutes to replace one (doesn’t include the 30 minutes locating tools or snack breaks). Call 1-800-515-9983 and have them send you two hammer spring assemblies rather than sending in the P-3AT, which will take several weeks. Even if it takes you an hour or so, think of the fun you’ll have and the knowledge you will gain.

Now, if you really intend to sell your P-3AT, I’ll buy it “as is” for $100 $101 now, so you can put a deposit on a PF-9.

Wilson – who’s glad he noticed that low bid by possumgravy ;D

·
Registered
596 Posts
My hammer spring broke last Sat nite. Law of averages, it broke when one of my buddies was shooting it. About four of them had taken a turn shooting and loved it until then. It was embarrassing but we had plenty of other guns to shoot. Mine is a 1st Gen so maybe old age took it's toll, along with an estimated 900 rounds.

I'm patching it up and dropping it back in the pocket. It's been a sweet gun till then, I'm not ready for a divorce yet. ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
To the best of my knowlege, this is not a "known issue" with the P3.  It's a pretty rare occurance and for it to happen to you twice in so few rounds is probably a cruel coincidence.  Maybe there is a problem with your gun that somehow compromises the spring.  I can't imagine what that might be but can not discount the possibility.  I assume you made sure they know this is the 2nd time so they can look for any possible cause.

Wilson:  I know you can pop out two frame pins, unhook a hammer spring, hook up a new one and drive the pins back in far less than 15 minutes.   ;D

If this happens to anyone else, you can have KT send you a spring.  They are easily changed.  I keep a spare in the parts box but have never needed it.

jocko said:
ruger, the kt people tell me the hammer springs for the 32 and 380 are the same  
I found my KT pistols parts-price lists, along with a KT bulletin that lists all the common parts for the P32 and P3AT.  They are all the  same except for the extractor and recoil springs, and of course the barrel, slide and grip.

G

·
jdeere, just call kt they will send u a new spring NC and save you about 3 to 4 weeks and expense. Very simple to install and you will learn alot from doing it. These little jewels are simple to work on. Broken hammer springs are just rare to hear of, has to be a bad batch of tempered springs and I would guess kt wouldn't know they have a problem there until it starts popping up..

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks joco, I did exactly that. Made the call Monday and expect springs are in the mail now. Gotta love their customer service. Getting some new recoil springs and some other goodies too. I was a mechanic 15 years, so tearing stuff apart does not bother me.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Jdeere562 said:
My hammer spring broke last Sat nite.  Law of averages, it broke when one of my buddies was shooting it.  About four of them had taken a turn shooting and loved it until then.  It was embarrassing but we had plenty of other guns to shoot.  
The exact same thing happened when mine broke. A friend and I were at the range and he was shooting. I stepped away for a minute and he was like, "It's not working". So we left the range and as I was figuring out what was wrong, a friend walked by and said, "See, I told you not to buy that cheap ass gun." :-[

It was very embarrassing and the little ***** better not do it again if she knows what's good for her. >:(

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Out of 2 first gens and two second gen P3ATs, I have only ever had ONE hammer spring break. Tempered parts are prone to this sort of thing.

It happens, but not usually that often. Having two break in a row must be nearly the same odds as lightning striking twice in the same spot.

Packer.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
jocko said:
packer, i thinketh I am safer with the lightning striking twice over the hammer spring breaking twice
If the lighting were purchased from an inferior supplier you could have the same results ;D

Wilson – who’s thinking Wolff should submit a bid for the next batch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.