Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found the perfect household item for cocking the hammer on a field-stripped sub2k? Yes, I know that it's supposed to be cocked and on "safe" for field stripping, but when you disassemble the gun for detail cleaning you have to release the hammer. Plus, I still struggle with reinstalling the bolt on a well broken in original sub2k. Most recently, I broke the hammer axis trying to tap the bolt past the hammer. I'd done it at least a dozen times previously, and it would just slide right in, but this time I must have been slightly misaligned and I snapped it. It sure would be nice to have a tool that easily slides in from the front of the tube to depress the hammer, not only for cocking the hammer, but also for easy installation of the bolt. Has anyone developed the perfect homemade tool for this?

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
I used a wooden salad spoon from the kitchen drawer until mine loosened up enough to not need it anymore. You could also make something from a 3/8 or 1/2" wooden dowel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... Replacement parts are on the way and should be here tomorrow. I'll have to try the wooden spoon, along with having the charging handle installed to assure the proper alignment. I guess I "tapped" too hard. I need a better system to be sure I don't repeat the damage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was able to push it down by reaching in with my finger. It was a little bit stiff but worked just fine. A wooden dowel would probably be the simplest tool and non marring.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I use a dowel rod myself, but the OP asked about a simple household item. That would be the above mentioned wooden spoon. Handy, cheap, available, and non-marring. :)
So I guess I have cheap wooden spoons... Broke two of them before ordering two 12" x 3/8" brass rods. Ordered one round and one in square stock. We'll see how that goes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
So I guess I have cheap wooden spoons... Broke two of them before ordering two 12" x 3/8" brass rods. Ordered one round and one in square stock. We'll see how that goes :rolleyes:
Sorry about the spoons. Many here have used theirs successfully. I guess we don't have a solution to your original request. I'm sure the 3/8" brass rods will work if properly utilized.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 5/16 brass rod in case I need a squib rod for any of my 9mm or 38/357 guns, and I've used it twice for this task with no issue. I broke a hard wooden chopstick (not the cheap disposable kind) trying to use that first.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My little wooden spoons just weren't up to the task. Turns out I looked up the tracking number for the brass rods, and it said they were delivered today and on the porch. Sure enough... when I looked there they were. It took me longer to get the cardboard box open than it did to have that bolt slide nice and easy past the hammer. The 3/8" x 12" brass square stock worked perfectly! It cost me $12.39 including shipping. Thanks for the help guys.

If anybody else is having the same trouble, I got it from ThyssenKrupp Materials at www.onlinemetals.com

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
My little wooden spoons just weren't up to the task. Turns out I looked up the tracking number for the brass rods, and it said they were delivered today and on the porch. Sure enough... when I looked there they were. It took me longer to get the cardboard box open than it did to have that bolt slide nice and easy past the hammer. The 3/8" x 12" brass square stock worked perfectly! It cost me $12.39 including shipping. Thanks for the help guys.
Just be careful about prying against the feed ramp with it. The harder the push tool the easier it is to break that plastic ramp.

Thecarman, that lsa_rla tool was made obsolete shortly after he made it. I don't remember specifics but Kel-tec changed something internal to the bolt tube during an update on the Gen 1 and the tool would no longer fit. We found out when I loaned mine to a newer Sub owner at one of the Phido shoots a few years ago. It will only work on Subs made before about 2010.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thecarman, that lsa_rla tool was made obsolete shortly after he made it. I don't remember specifics but Kel-tec changed something internal to the bolt tube during an update on the Gen 1 and the tool would no longer fit. We found out when I loaned mine to a newer Sub owner at one of the Phido shoots a few years ago. It will only work on Subs made before about 2010.
Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.