hammer block

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Devildog341, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    The other day while cleaning my P3AT, I noticed that when I slowly pull the trigger back about 1/16", there is a felt click or thud as the hammer rolls of the hammer block. I felt again it when I slowly set the trigger back. I didn't let the hammer fall while disassembled. Dry firing, I can feel the click also. I can't remember every feeling it before. It is not as noticeable when normally pulling the trigger during dry firing, but now that I know it is there, I can detect it. Is this normal or am I going to have issues with the hammer block?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I feel each of the movements. Just in case you don't know, you should NOT be dry firing the P3AT without snapcaps as even just a few pulls of the trigger can severely damage the firing pin retaining screw.

-Scott

3. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I do use snap caps. Good, so it is normal to feel the disengage and engaging of the hammer block. Just never noticed it before. Thanks.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I would add that the better lubed and greased up your little one is the less you feel it, or at least in my case the less "Drag" I feel.

-Scott

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I don't quite know what you are asking :-?
    But here is what I feel WRT to trigger travel (as measured at center trigger)

with the hammer reset ( the face about 30 degrees past TDC
    about 0.2" travel with only 1# pull, then the pull changes to 5#
    as the trigger is pulled now, the hammer is going back towards 90 degress past TDC
    after another 0.4" travel (0.6" total travel) at 5 to 6# pull, the hammer falls (goes about 10 degress foward of TDC) and the pull changes back to 1#
    another 0.1" and trigger is all the way back.

I can now stroke the trigger foward and back the 0.7" total travel with 1# pull.

with the trigger pulled all the way back, I reset the hammer (have to depress the trigger disconnect down also)
    slowly releasing the trigger with the pull at 1#
    at 0.2" travel returning (0.5" total travel) I here the first click.
    IF i now pull the trigger back, the pull increases back to 6#.
    As the trigger is pulled, the hammer stays at the reset (about 30 degrees past TDC)
    at 0.1" travel pulled (0.6" total) the hammer falls (10 degrees foward of TDC)

with the trigger pulled all the way back, I reset the hammer (have to depress the trigger disconnect down also)
    slowly releasing the trigger with the pull at 1#
    at 0.2" travel returning (0.5" total travel) I here the first click.
    I continue to release the trigger for another 0.4" (0.1" total) I hear the second click
    Now the action is back to as normal.

>--X----X-|
    <-X----X--|

6. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    When I pull back on the trigger and it travels 1/32" to 1/16" the hammer begins to move back and the lip of the hammer block slips under the hammer causing the "click." As the hammer moves further back, the hammer block then begins to move forward. Releasing the trigger moves the hammer back down and the lip of the hammer block slips in front of the hammer making a "click." This all happens in a very short distance.