Hammer Block removal and Install

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rebootit, Apr 10, 2011.

1. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    What a big PIA this part is to put back in. I took the gun apart today to see why the retainer spring that hold the slide on kept getting out of alignment and making the case bulge. So I figured while it's apart I may as well buff up all the moving parts and look for burrs. My advice unless you have tiny fingers or lots of smith tools is just leave that part in the frame. Got it in very easy the first time and then looked at it and realized it was backwards. No wonder it was easy. Second time took a lot of cussing in several different languages but finally got it. Now that I have done it it may be easier if there is a next time. Anybody have a simple trick for it other than a long set of small needle nosed pliers and patience?

2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Reply # 8 in this thread directs the reader to that article at the KT Range and another here on KTOG.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1145152844

I can't think of any reason, in the course of typical maintenance or repair, to remove the hammer block.  We rarely see problems with the hammer block assembly that require repair.  If you have a pistol that is 3+ years old and wish to upgrade to the new anti-short-stroke hammer block, that would be about the only exception.  However, I see no reason to upgrade the hammer block and have not done so with any of my Kel-tec pistols.

So my advice, DO NOT REMOVE THE METAL FRAME PIN THAT SECURES THE HAMMER BLOCK.  

Only the polymer pins should be driven out if you are removing the frame for some reason.  Even when changing the grip on a Kel-tec pistol, the new grip comes with the mag catch and hammer block pre-installed.  

4. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Got to agree now. The only reason to pull that pin is if your changing out grip colors, then you have no choice.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nope - not even them.  As I noted above, new grips from Kel-tec come with the mag catch and hammer block pre-installed.  To change the grip, you only need to remove the polymer frame pins.  You do not need to touch the hammer block.   ;)

6. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Wow, I missed that. Good to know cause I have two grey ones on the truck to be delivered tomorrow. They are for a little experiment we are doing. I assume new pins come in the same color?

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I think all frame pins are black, at least they used to be and I don't know if that has changed.