Hammer Block question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Chris_L., Nov 16, 2008.

1. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

Do you have to have a problem with your gun to get the new Hammer Block? What is the procedure for getting a new one?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I think it is worth it because it eliminates the possible shortstroke problem. Admittedly, it is not a problem IF you remember not to shortstroke in a high-stress situation. For no money, and a little time, you can eliminate the possibility. You do not have to wait for a failure of the original part to get the upgrade. Just call KT. If you connect with the parts dept. they will likely charge you. I connected with customer service and there was no charge. Be sure to stress you want the NEW UPGRADED part [I had to call twice since they sent the original one the first time].

4. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    train as you fight, fight as you train... i never short stroke any of my guns... how many 1/100's of a second do you save?
    imho short stroking any pistol could give you problems. it aint worth it.

i met tod jarrett at the NRA show...and we talked of going to reset or letting out the trigger all the
    way... he said he NEVER short strokes ... the trigger is let out all the way ... and short stroking doesnt
    do you any good with the 3at anyway so i do not see what the benifit of the hammer new hammerblock is...

peace :)

5. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    do they come from the factory with the new hammer block? i am not to educated on this subject and was wondering if my p3at had the new block JRZxx

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Only the newer ones made in the last couple of months will have it. The way to tell is to rack the slide, put in a snapcap, or fired case [don't dry fire] and hold the trigger back in the fired position--let the slide go forward as it would if you had just fired--then slowly let the trigger go forward. You will feel a slight "click" as the hammer block partially engages. This occurs before the trigger has gone fully forward. If you can then pull the trigger [called "short stroking"] and the hammer falls you have the old one. If you can't pull the trigger at the first click and must let it go all the way forward before it allows you to pull the trigger [and release the hammer]--you have the new one. The first scenerio results in a light hammer fall and usually won't ignite the primer. The trigger won't pull again until you rack the slide again. Not a good thing if you are in a fight, get excited, and don't let the trigger fully reset before pulling it again. If I'm not being clear you can get more info using the search function.

7. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Please also look HERE for further instructions on how to swap out your new hammer block. It is not difficult at all.