Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Hammer Block Pin Walking Again

826 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  haugrdr 
#1 ·
A while back I had to replace the grip on my 1st gen 3AT because the hammer block pin walked out and disabled the gun during an extended time of shooting. I noticed after the last range trip that it had moved out again around a 1/16 of an inch. I was wondering if a drop of blue locktite on each end would help prevent this?

#3 ·
I'd send that 1st Gen back to KT and explain the repeated problem. Ask them to replace it with a new 2nd Gen P3AT with the new updated hammer block. I did just that late last year with an old unreliable 1st Gen P3AT and it took less than two weeks turnaround time. KT just stamped my old serial number on a new P3AT and it's been perfect so far. No charge at all! That said, I've never had a problem with a hammer block pin working itself out of the grip.

#5 ·
carmike442 said:
No way I'm giving up my 1st gen.
May I ask as to why you are so attached to a 1st Gen?  I know they are a VERY tad bit lighter and somewhat "unique" as they are no longer made, but I much prefer my two 2nd Gens over the 1st Gen I had.  And, they have been completely reliable with ZERO fluff/buff/tweaking, etc.

How are you set for spare parts since the slides, firing pin and extractor assemblies are completely different?  I sent my old unreliable 1st Gen back to KT late last year and instead of fixing it, KT just stamped my serial number on a brand new 2nd Gen.  I'd bet dollars to donuts it was because it was much easier to replace the whole thing rather than fix it because spares are probably few and far between (or non-existent) these days.  My 1st Gen slide was also hard chromed thereby making it even harder (more rare?) to replace.

#6 ·
scotthsi said:
I'd send that 1st Gen back to KT and explain the repeated problem.  Ask them to replace it with a new 2nd Gen P3AT with the new updated hammer block.
Stellar bad advice, IMO, but Mike knows better. 2nd gens are a dime a dozen.    :-?

All internal parts are the same and yes the new hammer block fits the 1st gen guns if you care to change it.  Personally, I've yet to short-stroke any KT.  The extractor system, grip and slide are the only different parts and of course the recoil catch is now built in to the slide.  They can certainly manufacture replacement parts if they run out.  IMO, the lighter 1st gen pistol with it's tapered slide is more attractive.  The flat-topped 2nd gen slide was actually a cost saving measure as that bar steel is cheaper.  Believe it or not, I prefer the 1st gen sites too.  It is also a "first of it's kind" and I'll bet you a bundle that mine run just as well as your new ones.  The fact that I have a 1st gen P32NAA conversion is also a cool factor.  Seen any of those for a 2nd gen pistol?  And yes, I own 2nd gen guns too.  There is certainly nothing wrong with them, except that unlike the 1st gen, they'll be making plenty more...  about 1000 per week last I heard.   ;)

carmike442 said:
I was wondering if a drop of blue locktite on each end would help prevent this?
I'm not sure.  Although that's not really it's intended application, it may do the job.  I recall it working on some of the PF9 walking ejector pins.  For sure, it can't hurt anything to try.

carmike442 said:
No way I'm giving up my 1st gen. It's been totally reliable except for this one quirk. It's already got the new hammer block. The pin only moves during extended range sessions so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
If that's the worse case scenario, you're still good to go.  So long as you check it after a range session, it will certainly never be a SD issue.

#8 ·
TxCajun said:
[quote author=scotthsi link=1249071692/0#2 date=1249132554]I'd send that 1st Gen back to KT and explain the repeated problem.  Ask them to replace it with a new 2nd Gen P3AT with the new updated hammer block.
Stellar bad advice, IMO, but Mike knows better. 2nd gens are a dime a dozen.    :-?[/quote]

Sorry, but I hardly see Kel-Tecs as being unique or "collectible" pistols. In MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, my 2nd Gen P3ATs have performed far better out of the box than my 1st gens. Give me a "dime a dozen" pistol that WORKS any day of the week. ::)

#10 ·
If that's the worse case scenario, you're still good to go. So long as you check it after a range session, it will certainly never be a SD issue.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too.
I'd send that 1st Gen back to KT and explain the repeated problem. Ask them to replace it with a new 2nd Gen P3AT with the new updated hammer block.
I only shoot it a couple of times a year. There's nothing wrong with 2nd gen,I just prefer the 1st gen over the 2nd. And like I said earlier, I put the new style hammer block in it after Kel Tec sent it back with the old one. I'll probably try some locktite just for the heck of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.