Ham hands, sausage fingers; mag catch problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by islw2863, Dec 11, 2007.

1. islw2863

islw2863 Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Took my P3AT to the range today and was pleased with the pistol but ANGRY WITH MY FAT FINGERS.

It seems I can not use a two hand grip without depressing the mag release enough to drop the mag. Try as I may about every third or fourth shot the mag drops and I have to insert it to continue firing.

One handed firing never causes this problem.

I have already cut and sanded the release button down till it is very nearly flush with the grip. Heck, it's difficult to release INTENTIONALLY.

Is there a fix for this ? Super stiff release spring ? Always fire with one but not two hands? Attach a hinged cover over mag release like you might use over the "fire rockets" switch ?

Seriously, there must be a solution, but my wee brain can't supply it for me.

How would you/ did you solve this problem ?

I'm getting hungry now!

2. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I place my weak hand behind my back and wrap my fingers around my belt. This completely eliminate any tendency to place a second hand on the pistol :)

Wilson – who’s assuming the BG wouldn’t give him time to get a proper two-handed grip anyway

3. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL

this may be your problem, you fingers need to diet :)

4. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I figured out a long time ago my fingers are too long for good two handed grip on this diminutive pistol. I shoot it one handed and haven't had any problems. I figure that by practicing one handed, I will be able to get a shot off from various shooting positions.

--Plex

5. I had this same issue, but not nearly as bad as a friend of mine that shoots my 3AT's from time to time.  The odd thing is his hands are not nearly as big as mine.

That leads me to think it may not be hand size so much as hand placement.  Or maybe becuase he shoots with two hands.  I only put one on my 3AT.

My solution was to replace all my factory catches with metal catches that give a bit more "positive" lock, and also grinding down the metal catches to the point that I have to use a my thumbnail to release the mag.

No more problems for me, and I think the look better!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I had this same problem with a Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 I owned a while back. I ended up selling it because I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it without hitting the magazine release every 3-4 rounds. I'm going to look at a P3-AT today, I hope I won't have a similar issue.

7. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    do you have a grip for it ....they add a little to the width...it may be enough....gpr

8. islw2863

islw2863 Member

Jun 15, 2006
    No I don't have a grip. Never thought about installing one but maybe it would solve this problem. Especially if it covers the mag release button ;).

9. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Well, I ended up buying the P3AT today. The mag catch doesn't seem to be a problem. I tried it out with some snap caps and it seems to do ok, that is without any recoil to mess up my grip of course. I'm not sure when I can take it to the range, the weather is pretty nasty right now. I may try the indoor tomorrow if it's available. I would have broken it in today at the store but the local sheriff's department had the entire indoor range rented out for the day.

10. islw2863

islw2863 Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Has anybody tried making the mag catch spring stiffer?

And can I remove this mag catch spring the same way as on the P11, no frame removal, just reach inside grip and grab it?

11. Sorry to report, but the frame has to come off.