Had Fun Today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Checker4Tix, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I went shooting with one of my buddies today. As usual we had lots of fun. I happened to meet a couple (I assume they were married) shooting a trio of P3AT's. The gentleman had an Armalaser on one of his and he was kind enough to let me give it a try. I nailed a bullseye with the first shot - point shooting at that!!! The next two were very close. I was quite impressed and can't wait until my Armalaser shows up in a couple of days.

I shot several guns today but always take time to put a few rounds down range with my own P3AT. I shot two magazines each of Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers and AE FMJ. I was pleased at the accuracy I was able to get with the Golden Sabers and AE FMJ's. I had not shot either of them before. I usually carry Gold Dots and practice with WWB - the picture below is pretty much typical for me with Gold Dots. After all the discussions recently, as well as the ammo tests BoBo has found (thanks TX for the sticky) I think I'll shoot up my Gold Dots and go with interleaved AE FMJ's and either DPX or Golden Sabers. Right now I have Golden Sabers loaded as I am out of DPX. Due to ready availability in my area the Golden Sabers may win out.

Well, here are some picture...

Gold Dot Accuracy (12 ft.) --- HERE
    Golden Saber Accuracy (12 ft.) --- HERE
    AE FMJ Accuracy (12 ft.) --- HERE

Yeah, I know I won't win any competitions, but I don't practice that way. I try to empty my magazine as reasonably quickly as I can. In this case each mag was emptied in ~6 seconds or so.

----
    Oh, almost forgot. I asked the couple if they knew about KTOG. They did not and so I invited them to check us out and consider joining. If they happen to show up, please give them a warm welcome. I did give them my handle so they could find me.

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Looks like some pretty good shoot'n to me. Just the fact that some folks such as yourself are actually practicing on a regular basis speaks volumes.

I had an Armalaser - it improved my fast draw shooting significantly. Actually, I'm pretty spoiled - not sure I could be very accurate without it. Now, I'm trying out the new Crimson Trace laser. It attaches much more easily than the AL and has a switch that I can control - the main reason I bought it. The main negative I have seen so far with it is that the push button switch is too sensitive. Would be rather easy for it to come on when you don't want it to - such as sitting in my holster :eek:

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Very nice shooting! I'm contemplating getting a laser for my p3at right now. I think people underestimate the positive affects of regular practice with these little guns. Mine has greatly exceeded my expectations in terms of accuracy past 7yds.

4. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I usually work with my P3AT at no further than 15 feet. When I'm trying to shoot quickly I'll bring the target in a bit closer.

The gentlemen with the ArmaLaser said he had his sighted in for 30 feet, however. I thought that was a bit much and he even told me to aim three inches low to be dead on at 15 feet - or whatever the range was when he let me give it a go.

I was thinking of sighting mine at 21 feet and practicing to determine my +/- 1 inch range tolerance. Any suggestions as to what the best sight in range should be?

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I would say no further than 21 feet.  Most SD shootings are much closer than that.